Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
kwsong
Enthusiast
kwsong began at the beginning.

Device: PBR 602
PBR 602 Firmware Installation Woes

Pocky and Me - Day 3

Thanks to the help of many generous posters, I was able to get my PBR 602 up and running.

In the thread below, tvpupsik said that I can copy the bin file to the root directory of the reader for the installation.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=108092&page=2

Okay, so...I think I did that. After hooking my Pocky onto my Lappy, I typed the following command on the terminal:

cp /something/SWUPDATE.BIN /Volume/PBR602/

And so the file was copied.

And now, I'm not sure what the heck I'm suppose to do. The file is on my PBR 602. I'm not sure if I saved it in the root directory, as tvpupsik said. I don't know if my firmware has been upgraded, I suspect not.

Please help!

p.s. The 2 Gb SD card that was sent to me as part of the the comfort package does not physically fit to my reader. The reader has a slot for a micro SD as I can see, which I assume is a lot smaller than an SD card. I actually contacted Dulin's books about this because I don't see a way to use this SD card with my reader, but maybe I'm being stupid again.
kwsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Snufkin
Snufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: broken PB360 :(
Clipped from the pocketbook user manual (right at the end)

SOFTWARE VERSION UPDATE
To update a software version:
1. Select ‘Products’ on the manufacturer’s official site www.pocketbook-int.com .
2. Select PocketBook Pro 602.
3. Click ‘Software and Documentation’ link (in the right part of the screen).
4. List ‘Firmware’: Select the latest SW version for PocketBook Pro 602 and download it (right-click on the selected file ⇨ ‘Save As…’ ⇨ select saving location ⇨ ‘Save’).
‘This page presents new applications for your device; you can also install new games, dictionaries, or read the User Manual’.
5. Copy file SWUPDATE.BIN to MicroSD card (optional).
6. Remove MicroSD card with new firmware update and insert it into
PocketBook Pro 602.
7. Reload PocketBook Pro 602 with the inserted MicroSD card by pressing ‘Reset’ on the device’ lower edge.
8. During downloading keep both ‘Backward’ and ‘Forward’ keys pressed until the message ‘Firmware update…’ is displayed.
9. Follow on-screen instructions.
10. When all settings are completed wait for the device to reload fully
11. To check a firmware version, select ‘Settings’ ⇨ ‘About device’.

Haven't done this myself yet, but will do tonight once i'm fully charged.
I guess you are at point 7.

but please do check that you do have the file copied to the root of your pb before reloading.

Good luck!

Last edited by Snufkin; 11-24-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Clipped from the pocketbook user manual (right at the end)

SOFTWARE VERSION UPDATE
To update a software version:
1. Select ‘Products’ on the manufacturer’s official site www.pocketbook-int.com .
2. Select PocketBook Pro 602.
3. Click ‘Software and Documentation’ link (in the right part of the screen).
4. List ‘Firmware’: Select the latest SW version for PocketBook Pro 602 and download it (right-click on the selected file ⇨ ‘Save As…’ ⇨ select saving location ⇨ ‘Save’).
‘This page presents new applications for your device; you can also install new games, dictionaries, or read the User Manual’.
5. Copy file SWUPDATE.BIN to MicroSD card (optional).
6. Remove MicroSD card with new firmware update and insert it into
PocketBook Pro 602.
7. Reload PocketBook Pro 602 with the inserted MicroSD card by pressing ‘Reset’ on the device’ lower edge.
8. During downloading keep both ‘Backward’ and ‘Forward’ keys pressed until the message ‘Firmware update…’ is displayed.
9. Follow on-screen instructions.
10. When all settings are completed wait for the device to reload fully
11. To check a firmware version, select ‘Settings’ ⇨ ‘About device’.

Haven't done this myself yet, but will do tonight once i'm fully charged.
I guess you are at point 7.

but please do check that you do have the file copied to the root of your pb before reloading.

Good luck!
Okay, I see.

It wasn't clear to me that the procedures 5 through 7 was being replaced by "place file in the root directory."

Thanks for the help! My firmware is now up-to-date!

I still can't use my SD card though...
Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsong View Post
Okay, I see.

It wasn't clear to me that the procedures 5 through 7 was being replaced by "place file in the root directory."

Thanks for the help! My firmware is now up-to-date!

I still can't use my SD card though...
What exactly is your problem. Please keep in mind that the card has to be at least class 4.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The problem is that kwsong has received an SD card (bigger one), not a micro SD one

It's a mistake of Dulin's. Unless... Dulin has sent kwsong a micro SD card with an adapter, in which case all you need is to remove the micro SD card from the SD-card sized adapter and plug it in.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
The problem is that kwsong has received an SD card (bigger one), not a micro SD one

It's a mistake of Dulin's. Unless... Dulin has sent kwsong a micro SD card with an adapter, in which case all you need is to remove the micro SD card from the SD-card sized adapter and plug it in.
I'm not too familiar with this tech stuff, so here, I've uploaded the pictures of the SD card that I got.

mtravellerh, this the SD card that came with the comfort package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	61781   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	61782  

Last edited by kwsong; 11-24-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: claification
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsong View Post
I'm not too familiar with this tech stuff, so here, I've uploaded the pictures of the SD card that I got.

mtravellerh, this the SD card that came with the comfort package.
Please contact Dulin and get him to send you a Micro SD card. This is definitely wrong for the 602.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the little "notch" in the top of the card in this picture

is the Micro inserted into the Adapter.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
the little "notch" in the top of the card in this picture

is the Micro inserted into the Adapter.
There is no "notch." It is just one solid plastic, and there is no detaching parts.

Here, I took it out of the box, and I took closer pictures so you can see it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 76.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	61783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 77.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	61784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 78.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	61785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 79.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	61786  
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
kwsong
Enthusiast

Charlie,

I did a google search for PNY SD card, and I found this:

http://www.jr.com/pny/pe/PNY_PSD2GRF3/

This is looks exactly like the card that I received.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Snufkin
Snufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheeseSnufkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: broken PB360 :(
If you check the SD card (adapter) there should be a notch at the top, in the middle, just above where it says 2GB, and the top part is uneven. You should be able to put a fingernail in the notch and slide out a tiny Micro SD card. That's the card that goes into the Pocketbook, while the adapter (bigger card) is there so you can use the micro card also in other devices that use large sized SD cards.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
kwsong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
If you check the SD card (adapter) there should be a notch at the top, in the middle, just above where it says 2GB, and the top part is uneven. You should be able to put a fingernail in the notch and slide out a tiny Micro SD card. That's the card that goes into the Pocketbook, while the adapter (bigger card) is there so you can use the micro card also in other devices that use large sized SD cards.
There is no notch. There is nothing here to slide out. Are my pictures not clear enough?

Yes, the top part is slightly uneven. However, unless you are telling me to wedge my finger between the plastic cover of the SD card and split it open, I don't see what the heck I am suppose to do.

I did a google search on the SD card (PNY SD), and I've posted a link in my last thread. This card looks exactly like the SD card that I received.

I'm sorry, but I'm starting to feel very very frustrated. I'm looking at the pictures I posted, and I don't see how anyone can think that this is an SD adapter with a microSD on it.

Last edited by kwsong; 11-24-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: punctuation and grammar.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Then it's a mistake of Dulin's.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
kwsong
Enthusiast

Okay, so it seems like the pictures I uploaded before were not clear.

I took my friend's camera and took higher quality pictures this time.

I don't see a micro SD card. Am I going crazy?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	61790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	61791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	61792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	1,000.6 KB
ID:	61793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	61794  
Old 11-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
None of the photos clearly show the bottom edge of the card facing the camera, which is where the slot to insert the MicroSD card would be. That's probably why people are giving you advice on where to check.

That said, if it's an SD card, it's a mix-up which is easily fixed. Just contact the vendor with your problem.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort package, firmware update, pocketbook 602, sd card