Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #331
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This tool crops the margins off the PDF while keeping the final product as a text base PDF.
Yes, I agree that if your ebook reader is capable of natively reading .pdf ebooks, then you would only use PDFRead as a last resort, that is only if the "native" reading method doesn't work too well.

With PDFRead, its all about increasing the legibility of the small font size through margin stripping, dilation, edge enhancement, ... Complex .pdf ebooks/magazines usually do benefit from rotating to landscape and splitting over several pages, though.

The file size trade-off (image page vs text page) is a consequence of that increased legibility... So, only do this if you have too!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #332
trance
trance began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
pdfread stuck at page 20?

*edit* I found my problem sorry to waste the bandwith.

Last edited by trance; 05-26-2010 at 12:50 AM.
trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #333
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Is it good for scanned book in PDF or DjVu formats ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #334
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
Is it good for scanned book in PDF or DjVu formats ?
Both!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #335
justinmir
justinmir began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have trouble using PDFRead 1.8.2. It is something to do with "unpaper". I am trying to convert a scanned pdf with two book pages scanned side by side and placed on one pdf page. I would like to split them and have one page per pdf page -

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"C:\Program Files\PDFRead\bin\pdfread" -p prs505-p -i pdf -t "1" -a "1" -o "C:
1" -f "lrf" -m "portrait" --no-dilate --no-crop -u "-l double" "C:\1.pdf"

Temporary directory: c:\temp\pdfread-obxzoi

Page 1/2: EXTRACT RASTERIZE UNPAPER SAVE DONE
Page 2/2: EXTRACT RASTERIZE UNPAPER SAVE DONE
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pdfread.py", line 207, in <module>
File "pdfread.py", line 84, in main
File "pdfread.py", line 68, in convert
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'page_o.pgm'
Press any key to continue . . .

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Could you suggest what should I change to get through?
justinmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #336
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmir View Post
I have trouble using PDFRead 1.8.2. It is something to do with "unpaper". I am trying to convert a scanned pdf with two book pages scanned side by side and placed on one pdf page. I would like to split them and have one page per pdf page -
Does PDFRead work on your computer when not using the unpaper input box? What operating system are you using?

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"C:\Program Files\PDFRead\bin\pdfread" -p prs505-p -i pdf -t "1" -a "1" -o "C:
1" -f "lrf" -m "portrait" --no-dilate --no-crop -u "-l double" "C:\1.pdf"

Temporary directory: c:\temp\pdfread-obxzoi

Page 1/2: EXTRACT RASTERIZE UNPAPER SAVE DONE
Page 2/2: EXTRACT RASTERIZE UNPAPER SAVE DONE
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pdfread.py", line 207, in <module>
File "pdfread.py", line 84, in main
File "pdfread.py", line 68, in convert
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'page_o.pgm'
Press any key to continue . . .

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Could you suggest what should I change to get through?
It appears Windows crashed when unpaper was writing it's temporary output to the internal file 'page_o.pgm'. Could a previous call to PDFRead not have finished properly? aborted? still running? Something has a "lock" on the filename and won't allow 'unpaper' to complete after the first page is output.

Try rebooting and clearing out your temp directory 'c:\temp\pdfread-obxzoi'.

I don't know enough about unpaper to be able to support it other than some simple processing.

Perhaps use another pdf-to-pdf software tool to first split it into single page and then run that new .pdf through PDFRead.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #337
justinmir
justinmir began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks

Thank you for your help!

I used another program to split pages and this got me through.

As far as the original issue with PDFRead is concerned - I did try to reboot and delete temp directory, but nothing helped. Converting a pdf file without any unpaper options worked fine but specifying -l double and -l single unpaper options would cause it to crash at the very last step, after converting all pages. In all my attemptsI tried converting files with more than one page. I have XP Professional Service Pack 3. Hope this helps.

Regards
Alex
justinmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #338
hw360
hw360 doesn't litterhw360 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Hello, nrapallo,

Would you be able to add .pdf in output format? That will make PdfRead a great tool to enhance scanned pdf (crop, contrast, resize, etc...)
hw360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #339
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hw360 View Post
Hello, nrapallo,

Would you be able to add .pdf in output format? That will make PdfRead a great tool to enhance scanned pdf (crop, contrast, resize, etc...)
It appears that pdftk (pdftk.exe) and ghostscript (gs.exe) can both create .jpgs from .pdf or .ps BUT not the other way around, that is, take a series of images in .jpg format and combine them into a .pdf document in order. So it wouldn't be trivial to add a .pdf out format.

Actually, there doesn't seem to be an easy/freeware command line utility to do this ...

In any event, what you CAN do is use shareware or commercial software like Acrobat Pro to create a .pdf by importing from multiple .jpg files. You can even tweak their ordering, then just save that created .pdf.

Where to get those enhanced .jpg? Well from the 'temp' directory created by PDFRead, of course, when using the 'debug' empty file within the install directory.

SO, while PDFRead cannot do this for you automatically, you still can manually recombine the enhanced .jpgs back into .pdf, though the resolution may be too low and need to be increaseed.

Have fun with this approach.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #340
depe
depe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF into the kindle

Hey there,

it seems I've got some solution for viewing PDF on kindle 3 device.

1. First of all open PDF with Adobe Acrobat (not Adobe Reader). You can get Trial version of Acrobat from Adobe website.
2. Save PDF as a full HTML page - this will rasterize all vector images, graphs etc. which are saved in images folder (this will be used later on)
3. Import HTML to Mobipocket creator
4. After importing Mobipocket has created new folder somewhere like .../Documents/My Publications/"newlyCreatedFolder"
5. Copy "images folder" which was created by Acrobat into the "newlyCreatedFolder" folder created by Mobipocket
6. Click on Build button in Mobipocket
7. wait for your converted ebook and upload it onto your kindle device

One drawback of this solution is, that there are no chapter signs - so you cannot skip chapters using buttons on your device
Anyway you can change the size of the text, which is great
depe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #341
lvd4
Enthusiast
lvd4 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Converting PDF to IMP

I have tried PDFREAD and it appears to work; however, in the DOS window it goes page by page very slowly. Is this normal?

With many thanks,

lvd4
lvd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #342
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvd4 View Post
I have tried PDFREAD and it appears to work; however, in the DOS window it goes page by page very slowly. Is this normal?

With many thanks,

lvd4
Yes, since it's all about CPU power and lots of internal memory...

The .pdf (scanned) pages are being re-sampled to reduce the page size to the EBW1150's profile dimensions. If you tweaked the profile by using your own DPI > 300 or Edge Level > 7, then the time will increase greatly.

Also, make sure you don't have pdfread-MinFilter5-mod-bin.zip update for the Sony installed as that will require more resources (CPU/RAM). However, this update may render a page to be more legible on the EBW1150's tiny 320x480 screen!

It's a trade-off between increased legibility vs slowness of conversion.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #343
ab7vf
Enthusiast
ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ab7vf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dxg and newfound Icarus 8
nrapallo

maybe 'sam2p' would do what you want .. I've used it to jpg>pdf (slackware/linux)

Jim
ab7vf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #344
lvd4
Enthusiast
lvd4 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
PDFRead

Thanks for the replies. Too tedious for me. I'm playing with ebook publisher. It is hit and miss - some files convert, some don't. I still think ebwlibrarian was the best imp converter, unfortunately, the demo version is limited in too many ways.

lvd4
lvd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #345
nrapallo

Tutorial: Using PDFRead to convert (original).pdf to (enhanced/cropped).pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab7vf View Post
nrapallo

maybe 'sam2p' would do what you want .. I've used it to jpg>pdf (slackware/linux)

Jim
Wow, what a great suggestion for FINALLY being able to convert a directory of images (.jpg .gif or .png) into a .pdf using a simple but powerful command line program like sam2p (available for Win32 machines).

However, sam2p doesn't convert more than one image into .pdf (or other formats). No multiple page .pdf can be made using solely sam2p. External programs will have to be used to combine the sam2p .pdf's into one combined.pdf. Pdftk is perfect for that task and is included in the PDFRead/bin

Tutorial: Using PDFRead to convert (original).pdf** to (enhanced/cropped).pdf

To facilitate easy conversion of the intermediate images created by PDFRead into .pdf, I have written a simple batch (sam2pdfread.bat) file that can be placed in the temporary directory (created when an empty file 'debug' is placed in the PDFRead install directory).

To accomplish this (original).pdf to (enhanced/cropped).pdf, do the following:

1. Unzip the attached file and copy the all files into the PDFRead/bin in the default install location (or copy the *.exe programs to a directory in your windows path)

2. Start PDFRead using the .pdf 'In Format" and .html 'Out Format'.

3. When PDFRead is finished, that .html 'Out Format will cause the temporary directory with the enhanced/cropped images to be visible.

4. Copy the 'sam2pdfread.bat' file to that temp dir and double-click it. That's it!

5. The resulting .pdf will have the name of the InputFilename (actually the resulting .html in that temp dir) and should be moved to a more permanent location. The temp dir can then be deleted.

Note: Doubles the memory storage required as each image is converted to a .pdf while retaining the original image.

The 'sam2pdfread.bat' can be edited to tweak the parameters passed to sam2p and/or pdftk. Just experiment what works best for you!

EDIT: 7 Jan 2011
Fixed 'sam2pdfreadt.bat' to correct some sam2p housekeeping issues as well as recompiled pdfread.exe to pad image filenames with leading zeros so that combining *.pdf works properly. This now includes a newer version of pdfread.exe and library.zip so you may want to make backups of the copies in your 'bin' folder before copying these files over.

**Actually, you can use any Input Format (.PDF / .DJVU / .TIFF / .CBZ / .CBR ) in lieu of just .PDF!

Also, while I was recompiling pdfread.exe I fixed a LONG time irk for me, the expansion of small crops into huge images. This time around, any small cropped image will not increase in size more than 10% of the original image. A good tradeoff! All modified files are included in the 'sam2pdfread.rar' below.

Enjoy!
-Nick
Attached Files
File Type: rar sam2pdfread.rar (1,004.7 KB, 2807 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-07-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo