Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
There is no such thing as too many books...

Just perhaps there might be...

Last edited by DNSB; 11-04-2017 at 11:26 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Just perhaps there might be...
Is there a body under there?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
How many unread ebooks do you own?
Approximately 1168. But only about 3/4 of those were bought, the others are freebies or public domain.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 AM   #34
onewiththeanswer
onewiththeanswer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a few, but I am working on that. However, I don't know why I get so excited when a new e-book comes out. Every time I tell myself that I won't buy any books before finishing the ones I have first. But I just can not do it!
onewiththeanswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #35
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't know if I would live longer if I could live until I finished all my unread books or knit all of my skeins of yarn.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #36
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Well over a 1000, not counting freebies. I’m not as quick to buy as I used to be. But the real reason I don’t reduce the pile much is that I have several series I enjoy. And I tend to reread the earlier books before each new release. Now that I’ve retired, I’ve made peace with the fact that I’ll never read all the books I foolishly stockpiled for my retirement
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
A bit over 3000, very few of them freebies. I suspect that if I were to add up what I originally paid for all those books, it would be around the price of a new car.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:02 PM   #38
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
A bit over 3000, very few of them freebies. I suspect that if I were to add up what I originally paid for all those books, it would be around the price of a new car.
I think if I were to add up all the paper and ebooks I've bought in the last 20 years, it would be several new cars...

But I don't want to know.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I think if I were to add up all the paper and ebooks I've bought in the last 20 years, it would be several new cars...

But I don't want to know.
I am cheap so I don't see a new car but I do see a healthy down payment.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #40
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think I crossed the "more books than I could read in my lifetime" threshold back when Fictionwise was still in business. They had some amazing sales. And yes, those old reusable Kobo coupons were dangerous, too.

Given the size of my TBR mountain, I do buy few ebooks these days. I just keep up with a dozen or so favorite series/authors.

I've also spent more time listening to audiobooks than reading ebooks in the last few years, which isn't helping me get through that list any faster, either.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #41
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I think I crossed the "more books than I could read in my lifetime" threshold back when Fictionwise was still in business. They had some amazing sales. And yes, those old reusable Kobo coupons were dangerous, too.

Given the size of my TBR mountain, I do buy few ebooks these days. I just keep up with a dozen or so favorite series/authors.

I've also spent more time listening to audiobooks than reading ebooks in the last few years, which isn't helping me get through that list any faster, either.
Over 200 so far this year. Of course, the majority are backlist, new indie authors and non fiction on subjects I got interested in. I would say that 20 or so are new releases this year. Most authors only come out with one or two books a year.

My biggest issue is finding new authors. Discoverability is very much a hit or miss thing these days and has been for a number of years. As older authors slow down, it's getting harder and harder to replace them. When Baen was at his peak, he had four or five major authors that I liked at any one time and usually had at least one new book that I wanted each month, frequently more. Now it's more along the lines of 3 or 4 books a year that I want.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #42
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
How many unread ebooks do you own?
902 Ebooks and 18 print books, to be precise. I brutally slashed down my TBR last year by removing a lot of freebies which I do not seem to be reading now. That way I brought down the TBR list to below 1000. I've also become stricter to control my ebook buying frenzy during last two years, and now I don't buy more than a dozen books in a year.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #43
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
902 Ebooks and 18 print books, to be precise. I brutally slashed down my TBR last year by removing a lot of freebies which I do not seem to be reading now. That way I brought down the TBR list to below 1000. I've also become stricter to control my ebook buying frenzy during last two years, and now I don't buy more than a dozen books in a year.
What a brave person! Congrats on the resistance!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:44 AM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm tempted to read "The Tale of the Unread Book," about a man who is handsome but evil. At first, I thought it was biographical, that someone had stolen my identity, but then I realized I would never kidnap a woman and imprison her captive in "a large furnished cave" and have her write a novel with a typewriter.* [Why are men constantly judged on how they look?**]

Can you imagine? A typewriter?!

Here's the link, if you're interested in such stories:

https://www.amazon.com/Tale-Unread-E...ad+book+kindle

Oh, by the way: Watch out for the lion.

* = Not that there's anything wrong with typewriters, for those who may be overly sensitive.
** = Not that there's anything wrong with men, even if they're handsome. Or ugly.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-22-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #45
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
What a brave person! Congrats on the resistance!
Thanks! I confess, I had to suffer long period of withdrawal symptoms though!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote