Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #256
Skeeve
Connoisseur
Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skeeve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1 no touch
I just tried this plugin with 2 german dictionaries. They just seem to not change my text at all. I can't find any soft-hyphen being added to my text.

Any hint what I can do to find what's causing the problem?
Skeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #257
fardeenah
Enthusiast
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2015
just tried it works fine thanks !
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #258
naki
naki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi! Thanks for writing this plugin that makes books display much more beautifully on kindles! I noticed that hyphenating an azw3 file removes ligatures

For example, the character fi (unicode U+FB01), which normally appears with the f connected to the dot of the i (with recent firmware and Bookerly font), display as separate two letters fi after hyphenating the azw3

Same for the ligatures ff, ffi, etc.. as well as with the font Caecilia Condensed (albeit less obvious). They are displayed as separate letters ff, ffi, etc... after hyphenating.

Is this an intended behaviour of the plugin, or something else?
naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #259
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by naki View Post
Hi! Thanks for writing this plugin that makes books display much more beautifully on kindles! I noticed that hyphenating an azw3 file removes ligatures

For example, the character fi (unicode U+FB01), which normally appears with the f connected to the dot of the i (with recent firmware and Bookerly font), display as separate two letters fi after hyphenating the azw3

Same for the ligatures ff, ffi, etc.. as well as with the font Caecilia Condensed (albeit less obvious). They are displayed as separate letters ff, ffi, etc... after hyphenating.

Is this an intended behaviour of the plugin, or something else?
What's happening is that soft hyphens are inserted in every word that could be hyphenated. Most likely what's happening is the letters that make up the ligatures are getting a soft hyphen breaking them up.

But I thought Kindles don't display ligatures unless your eBook was in KFX format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #260
naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most likely what's happening is the letters that make up the ligatures are getting a soft hyphen breaking them up.

But I thought Kindles don't display ligatures unless your eBook was in KFX format.
I see. Kindles (at least the PW3 and Voyage) are displaying ligatures in azw3, but it requires the newer firmwares and it only does it with the Baskerville, Bookerly, Caecilia and Caecilia condensed fonts.
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #261
phossler
Guru
phossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It sounds like it doesn't work for my epub viewer (ADE). So after I convert an epub to azw3, I should run it on the azw3 file?

Last edited by phossler; 05-10-2016 at 02:43 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #262
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
It sounds like it doesn't work for my epub viewer (ADE). So after I convert an epub to azw3, I should run it on the azw3 file?
ADE doesn't need soft hyphens because ADE already hyphenates. As to KF8, yes, run this on your KF8 file if you want hyphens.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #263
phossler
Guru
phossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsphossler can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Are you sure that ADE automatically hyphenates? I checked several epubs that I did not use the PI on and there were no hyphenated words at the end of lines.

I did change the justifications to left if that makes a difference

I did use the PI on an epub and an azw3 file and the kindle does honor the soft hyphens

The Editor now has the wiggly line below correctly spelt words so I assume its reacting to the soft hyphens? But the funny thing is that the wiggly words do not show up in the Check Spelling function
Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #264
naki

Quote:
Hi phossler, you can do either. Hyphenating a epub then converting it to azw3 works, hyphenating the azw3 works too.
I suspect your problem is with your viewer. Hyphenating an epub works, try the internal calibre E-book viewer instead of ADE, you'll see the hyphenation.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:51 AM   #265
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are you sure that ADE automatically hyphenates? I checked several epubs that I did not use the PI on and there were no hyphenated words at the end of lines.

I did use the PI on an epub and an azw3 file and the kindle does honor the soft hyphens

The Editor now has the wiggly line below correctly spelt words so I assume its reacting to the soft hyphens? But the funny thing is that the wiggly words do not show up in the Check Spelling function
What version ADE are you using? ADE version 2 is where ADE started to hyphenate. I use an H2O and it does support hyphens. My ADE version is 2.0.1 and it does hyphenate as well. A lot of people who use Linux have stuck to ADE 1.7.2 because ADE 2.x is very hard to install.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #266
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naki View Post
Hi phossler, you can do either. Hyphenating a epub then converting it to azw3 works, hyphenating the azw3 works too.
I suspect your problem is with your viewer. Hyphenating an epub works, try the internal calibre E-book viewer instead of ADE, you'll see the hyphenation.
Don't hyphenate the ePub. ADE does not work well with soft-hyphens. Wait until after you have converted the ePub to KF8 and then hyphenate the KF8. Kindles handle soft-hyphens very well.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #267
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:

As far as I know, left aligned text is not hyphenated.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #268
phossler
Guru

@JSWolf - ADE 4.5.1. And it does not handle soft hyphens well

@naki - yes, the Calibre viewer does, but ADE doesn't

@dickloraine - In my tests with AZW2 files it appears that even left justified paragraphs will line-split with a soft hyphen

@all - thanks for the information. Since most of my reading is on the Kindle PW, hyphenating the AZW3 file after converting from epub seems like the best approach. It really does help the reading experience to have the lines less ragged.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #269
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

ADE 4.5.1 does support hyphenation. The version of ADE used by Kobo supports hyphens. You don't need to add soft hyphens to ePub for them to work.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #270
phossler
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE 4.5.1 does support hyphenation. The version of ADE used by Kobo supports hyphens. You don't need to add soft hyphens to ePub for them to work.
The I must be doing something wrong. Attached is a screenshot of an epub in ADE 4.5.1.

There is no hyphenated word that I can see in 3 columns. I'd expect there to be at least one in all that text??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	148599