Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #151
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I did that and it behaved exactly as I expected--which isn't what you are apparently seeing.

The only reason I can think of why you are seeing that behavior is if you aren't using the most recent test version.

It should be the same as the last one, but just in case, I've posted the version I'm using here.
Strange, I was using version 1.4.1 from post 141 ( ) dated 2016-20-27. But that's water under the bridge.

The new one works better, but... doing the same test I get this in sort order

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	152663

I was expecting this

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	152664

I don't sort by Date in any existing views, nor do any views show it.

I went back to the Published View (more on that later) and did another Create new view without changing any column positions and I got this sort order

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	152667

I also noticed when I Created a new view it switched to it, I'm not sure I like that, I would rather stay where I am thanks.

And it keeps changing my startup view to *Last View Used

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	152666

In the library I've been using for testing its been set at Published for years. I think that's only happening in this latest version.

I'm going to reinstall the release version on my installed version of calibre. I am testing some 'private' plugins for someone on the portable install I use for testing PIs, further testing of this one will have to wait until that's done and dusted, could be week or so.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-28-2016 at 10:43 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #152
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I don't sort by Date in any existing views, nor do any views show it.
Again: As previously said:

Quote:
Save column widths is now Save columns, widths and sorts and updates which columns are shown/hidden (and in what order), the saved widths, and which columns are sorted in which direction--all of them that have been applied. So the Sort list may grow considerably.
And before it was even implemented I said:
Quote:
There's an issue with saving Sort settings--Calibre saves a lengthy (complete?) sort history. How many of those would be saved as part of the View?
Calibre's sort history says that those columns are the sort you are seeing, so that's what I have VM saving. This should not be a surprise. Nor should it be a problem because that is literally what you are seeing and asking VM to save.

Quote:
I also noticed when I Created a new view it switched to it, I'm not sure I like that, I would rather stay where I am thanks.
I disagree.

I see the more common use case as 'Adjust display, create view, decide to tweak a column, save view.' That's what I instinctively wanted to do--or at least, I didn't want to 'create, tweak, swear, set View (clearing tweak I just made), tweak again, save', which was what happened at first.

Quote:
And it keeps changing my startup view to *Last View Used

Attachment 152666

In the library I've been using for testing its been set at Published for years. I think that's only happening in this latest version.
I'm not seeing that behavior saving columns, editing in config, restarting or changing libraries. Can you give detailed steps to replicate?
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:37 AM   #153
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found sort history in prefs backup, the last one is 'timestamp' (IIRC that's the internal name for 'Date' ). I think I might have temporarily shown and click sorted on Date several weeks/months ago when I 'lost' a newly added book.

I can't imagine why I would want an almost forgotten ad-hoc sort that I did months ago sticking its oar into what I'm doing now - perhaps others would.

If I could, I would toggle column click sorting off, as I've triggered it accidentally a few times when dragging or a resizing a column etc. I can do ad-hoc single column sorts with the Sort by feature in the booklist context menu.

I noticed the sort history in prefs_backup for my _Media library contains custom column names from my _Main library; such as #wordcount and #last_action_date. Those columns have never been my _Media library. Maybe I should remove sort_history from prefs_backup and rebuild the database.

I think the resetting of startup was happening if I did just about anything in View Manager. I noticed it whenever I went into config. I changed it back to Published and exited whilst in Author/Publisher View. When I started calibre, instead of being in the Published view I was in Author/Publisher view, and the Startup VM was set to *Last View used.

After reinstalling 1.3.2, I repeated the above steps, the Publisher view remains locked in as my startup View, irrespective of what view I was in when when I terminated calibre, just as it always has.

Added : Why don't you give Rellwood a nudge and ask him to try the new version, it was his idea to create new views from existing views. If needs be I can hack 1.3.2 and call it Booklist Manager

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-29-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 AM   #154
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Hi

Would it be possible to set the booklist line-height (as in Look and Feel/Extra spacing to add…) in a View, if nothing was set the value in Look and Feel would be used.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	view manager.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	153440  
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #155
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
Would it be possible to set the booklist line-height (as in Look and Feel/Extra spacing to add…) in a View, if nothing was set the value in Look and Feel would be used.
It's possible to change the value of 'Extra spacing to add' when a PI View is activated. Changing the line height of the library grid without changing the setting would be... complicated.

Given the almost complete lack of response to the last test version (just BR & me discussing it--even the user that requested the change didn't respond), I'm not very inclined to put much effort into new updates for this plugin.

FYI, to change the extra row spacing:
Code:
from calibre.gui2 import gprefs
    def apply_column_and_sort(self, view_info):
        gprefs['book_list_extra_row_spacing'] = value
        self.gui.library_view.refresh_row_sizing()
Old 12-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #156
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
FWIW Jimmu, I love this plugin and use it constantly, along with JobSpy's ability to change the view automatically on changing virtual library, I think I'd actually be pretty lost on a stock Calibre install without View Manager.

Please don't think lack of input in the discussion means lack of caring - it just so happened I wasn't all that bothered about that specific addition, because View Manager works so perfectly exactly how I need it to. I suspect there's a lot of us out here very glad you created it.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #157
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Krazykiwi -

It's not my plugin; kiwidude created it. I'd be more invested in improvement simply for improvement's sake if it were mine.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #158
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Well, I still like it.

I guess I was saying, it's already rock solid stable, and covers the major use cases people have, since it's been around so long. I'm not sure you could improve it all that much just for improvements sake. So when people ask for things now, it's likely to be the sort of corner cases.

(And oops, sorry, I should have checked who originally wrote it - but I'm glad there's someone maintaining this anyway, because if it ever actually broke, I'd be devastated.)
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #159
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I don't know who it was that improved this plugin to allow for the columns to be created by current view on the GUI, but thanks so much for it!

I see where there can be one more tweak that will make this "perfect". Along with creating the view based on the current one, is there a way to instead of making it be a unique new view, could it be an edited version of another one?

An example would be the "all shelves" view, which is what it sounds like, all the columns. However, I tend to scrap and create new columns, which makes this view obsolete pretty quickly. However, if I was able to just edit the view instead of creating a new, unique name for what is basically the same thing, then it would save on the need to erase and create new names.

I see how this would be implemented by allowing an edit view and a drop-down instead of create a unique view.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #160
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I don't know who it was that improved this plugin to allow for the columns to be created by current view on the GUI, but thanks so much for it!
JimmXinu did it as a result of a request back in October 2016 by guess who - YOU

See post 128 and the ensuing discussion- sheesh wept.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-05-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #161
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@betterRed
I know it was my suggestion, but whomever implemented it was to whom I was referring. :P ....it sounds like I was tooting my own horn....I was only asking this because I know that the original creator of the plugin was no longer keeping up with it, and it was someone else who did the change. This is who I was directing the request to....
Old 03-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #162
Rellwood

@JimmiXinu/

Please see post #159 *hopeful grin*
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #163
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

The plugin already has the ability to edit views in its config dialog. To copy an existing, view it, then create a new view.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #164
annoywife
annoywife began at the beginning.

Praise and show/hide fields in Edit Metadata

Hi – I suppose I’ll follow the traditional mold of comments on this plug-in by (1) offering praise and then (2) requesting something

First (and this is for real) I am incredibly thankful for this plug-in – I have always wanted to be able to have all of my content in a single physical library so I could search it all as desired, but still have the ability to break my collection down into smaller subsets when I work on documents dealing with family genealogy, games, etc. - and that’s exactly what the View Manager plug-in does. Awesome.

Second, I have two requests:

(1) I recently filed a bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1687338) asking that Calibre’s virtual library feature be improved to incorporate specific pre-defined views for each virtual library and Kovid pointed me to the View Manager plug-in. However, I thought he was mistaken until I realized that the plugin’s term “Apply search restriction” actually results in the creation of a virtual library. Could the plugin’s text be revised to something like “Apply virtual library” since this is the terminology now shown by Calibre, or perhaps “Apply virtual library/search restriction”? I obviously know what it does now, but think that this would be useful to future users of the plug-in. With my very basic, self-taught python skills, it appears that I could simply change self.apply_restriction_checkbox, which I’d be happy to do if helpful.

(2) One of the other changes I requested in the bug report above was the ability to show in the “Edit Metadata” dialogs (both single and bulk) only the fields that have been selected for viewing within each View Manager view – the thought is that if there are only a few custom columns with metadata relevant to the items in each View Manager view, you don’t want to have to scroll through all of the custom columns that exist in Calibre every time you want to edit one of these few. Kovid’s comment in the bug report indicates that he doesn’t think this would be too difficult to do in the View Manager plug-in. I’d think that there would be some way to set a “view” parameter for each metadata field to “false” and would again be happy to apply my very basic, self-taught python skills if helpful – although I’d need some guidance on this one.

Thank you!
annoywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #165
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Job Spy at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269911 already has 2 GUI tools related to your post.

The first automatically applies a view based on the selection of a virtual library.

The second does for the edit metadata dialogs exactly what you are requesting. See the attached images.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	js_protect_unprotect_custom_columns.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	920.3 KB
ID:	156579   Click image for larger version

Name:	js_protect_unprotect_custom_column_autoapply_then_restart_example.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	156580  

Last edited by DaltonST; 05-07-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added images