Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #136
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To see the 'Create new View' option JimmXinu just added, you'll need to restart calibre (Ctrl+R) after installing the new version.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #137
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
To see the 'Create new View' option JimmXinu just added, you'll need to restart calibre (Ctrl+R) after installing the new version.
Ummmm.... Yes?

You need to restart calibre any time you install a plugin...
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #138
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
You need to restart calibre any time you install a plugin...
@JimmXinu - was just a heads up to remind people. Pity PI updates don't prompt for a restart like PI adds. I thought some did - but its a long time since I last updated an existing PI. so I might be misremembering.

My starting point was to set the current view to the one with the Sort Order closest to what I wanted. I then adjusted a couple of columns via the list headers, then did the 'Create new View'. When I went into configure I expected to see the Sort Order already set, my intent was to reverse the order on a date column. I ended up having to grab a screenshot of my starting View, and enter it from scratch.

I was rather hoping the Sort Order on a 'Create new View' would clone the current View's configured Sort Order. Any chance of doing that, or providing a "Copy current configured sort order" check box on the new name dialogue? For me at least, the Sort Order list has always been 'harder' to get right than the Columns in View list.

BR
Old 10-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #139
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My starting point was to set the current view to the one with the Sort Order closest to what I wanted. I then adjusted a couple of columns via the list headers, then did the 'Create new View'. When I went into configure I expected to see the Sort Order already set, my intent was to reverse the order on a date column. I ended up having to grab a screenshot of my starting View, and enter it from scratch.

I was rather hoping the Sort Order on a 'Create new View' would clone the current configured View Sort Order. Any chance of doing that, or providing a "Copy current configured sort order" check box on the new name dialogue? For me at least, the Sort Order list has always been 'harder' to get right than the Columns in View list.
Somebody said:

Quote:
Of the four potential changes the only one I would use is the "Create a new View based on current view', that would mainly be to nominate which columns were selected, their positions, and widths. Once a new view was created I would look at the Sorting via VM Configuration.
And in my head:
View == View Manager 'View'. view == current display.

If you want to copy an existing View, go into VM config, select the View, click the Add button and it will copy all the View settings.

It might be worth the effort to update/create with sort settings from the current column sorts, but taking columns from current display and sort from last used View (ignoring changes since then) is, IMHO, a Bad Idea.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #140
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
@JimmXinu Once a new view was created I would look at the Sorting via VM Configuration.
But I didn't anticipate I would be looking an at empty plate

In my head: "So, what I want is this View, but with this column over here, this one wider, this additional column, but I don't need these two, now let's save that as a new View. WTF, where did the sort order go!"

Creating a new view as you proscribe (from within the configuration dialogue) isn't conducive to ad-hoc view creation, which is what I was hoping for. I often create project specific Views, once the project is finished (typically a few weeks) I remove them. Doing it from within the context of the book list had a lot of appeal.

That said I am very grateful for your efforts in enhancing Kiwidude's PIs.

BR
Old 10-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #141
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Here's a test version that saves columns, widths and sorts, plus adds a menu option for creating a new view.

Changes from released version:
  • Save column widths is now Save columns, widths and sorts and updates which columns are shown/hidden (and in what order), the saved widths, and which columns are sorted in which direction--all of them that have been applied. So the Sort list may grow considerably.
  • Create new View creates a new View using the current display. (Not including searches).
  • Fix for VM discarding previously saved widths when View is edited in VM Config. I've bumped into this problem a few times.
  • Fix for Asc/Desc right-click menu items being disabled inappropriately in Config sometimes.
  • Bump test version.

Feedback, both whether it works or not, is appreciated.

Saving searches is still left out because that would require re-doing the config dialog, too.

(FYI, there's some debug output left in this version that will need to be removed before release.)

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-29-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions - replaced by newer test or released version.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #142
BetterRed
null operator

heaps

A trivial inconsistency, the toolbar icon doesn't show a drop down arrow, whereas tools such as Resize Cover and Find Duplicates do show one.

I'll report back asap - maybe later today, COB on Friday at latest.

BR
Old 10-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #143
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
A trivial inconsistency, the toolbar icon doesn't show a drop down arrow, whereas tools such as Resize Cover and Find Duplicates do show one.
Those are plugins that have both button and drop-down menu behavior. Actions that have only menu or only button don't show that. See built-in actions like Connect/Share and contrast the difference in the Library action with and without a device attached.

Which does remind me that I need to look at what these changes do in the face of devices and the ondevice column.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #144
BetterRed
null operator

That's too subtle for me

I use the book list context menu almost exclusively, apart from Generate Cover everything I have there has a flyout arrow - one might argue GC should have an ellipsis. . .

Don't attach devices or use Connect/Share. I prefer to manage device content generically rather than application by application.

BR
Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #145
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Which does remind me that I need to look at what these changes do in the face of devices and the ondevice column.
FYI, the ondevice column is always present internally--even when no device is attached and it isn't shown. And when shown, it cannot be hidden. So no special handling is required.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #146
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
[Solved] - I moved what I had in the main toolbar into the menubar. Icon size has been Off for years. Sadly Alt doesn't give focus to it, unlike menubars in firefox, office, sigil etc. Maybe it's a Qt deficiency.

BR
Old 10-28-2016, 01:47 AM   #147
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Here's a test version that saves columns, widths and sorts, plus adds a menu option for creating a new view.
Create new view only saves the sort specs if they are set by header clicking, it will not save the sort specs from the 'current' view.

BR
Old 10-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #148
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Create new view only saves the sort specs if they are set by header clicking, it will not save the sort specs from the 'current' view.
I don't see that behavior. Assuming you've applied the VM View containing the sort specs, it should work.

As previously said:

Quote:
Save column widths is now Save columns, widths and sorts and updates which columns are shown/hidden (and in what order), the saved widths, and which columns are sorted in which direction--all of them that have been applied. So the Sort list may grow considerably.
If you have applied the VM View and have not clicked any headers since then, the saved Sort will record what you're seeing--which includes the sorts from the previous View setting.

(Changing the VM View in VM Config doesn't effect the current display until you apply it again, regardless of what the VM checkboxes show.)
Old 10-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #149
BetterRed
null operator

Try this simple test -

Create a view 'Published' with following sort specs

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	152657

Make 'Published' the current view, and do some column adjustments -add, remove, move, etc.

Select VM->Create new and call it 'Set Location'

Now go into VM->Customise plugin, our objective is to adjust the sort sequence of Set Location so that Publisher ascending is topmost rather than Published descending.

When I select the just created Set Location View this is what I see

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	152660

I suspect my usage patterns don't meet with your expectations of how and why the new features might be used. I enter all individual 'book' metadata via the book list. That is the main reason I create new views, by arranging the columns in the sequence that is optimal for the source - which are not commercial book publishers. Often as not I want to retain the current sort sequence.

BR
Old 10-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #150
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Try this simple test -
I did that and it behaved exactly as I expected--which isn't what you are apparently seeing.

The only reason I can think of why you are seeing that behavior is if you aren't using the most recent test version.

It should be the same as the last one, but just in case, I've posted the version I'm using here.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 05-12-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions