Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #5401
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
This shows as free, but it requires a pay method or redeem code? I never got that popup before with free Google books...
I get that message every now and then with these free books. I just click on through and never get charged. I have a card on file because I purchased something years ago.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #5402
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daily Deals -- exp 26 May @ 11:59 PM PT
Old 05-27-2019, 02:09 AM   #5403
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
A freepack, er, a free three-pack over at Kobo.
Quote:
Echoes of the ancients' power are distant memories, tattered and faded by the passage of eons, but that is about to change. A new dawn has arrived. Latent abilities, harbored in mankind's deepest fibers, wait to be unleashed. Ancient evils awaken, and old fears ignite the fires of war. When a Catrin Volker, a teenage horse trainer, inadvertently fulfills the prophecy of the destroyer, she becomes the most feared and hunted person on all of Godsland. With the help of her friends, she must convince the world that she wants only peace.
  • FREE -- Regent -- Brian Rathbone, Chris Snelgrove / 8.9 hrs --> Fantasy
Quote:
In the years since the end of The Herald War, the world has become complacent despite Catrin Volker's warnings. When the darkness of her visions comes to pass, no one is prepared, and the fate of humanity will rest in her hands.

Regent begins The Balance of Power trilogy, which is the much anticipated continuation of the World of Godsland fantasy series that began with The Dawning of Power trilogy.
  • FREE -- Beyond the Veil -- Brian Rathbone, Brian Rathbone / 0.6 hrs --> Fantasy
Quote:
In this short story, Vincent Pels struggles to save his daughter in life and death. Nothing will be more difficult for him to face than his own mistakes.
Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #5404
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 27 May @ 11:59 PM BST
  • TBA -- Help Me! -- Marianne Power --> NF memoir
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #5405
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 27 May @ 11:59 PM PT

* The Fall of Carthage: The Punic Wars 265-146BC

* Ten Feet Tall: Collected Stories
Old 05-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #5406
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Downpour -- exp 27 May
Old 05-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #5407
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Daily Deals -- exp 27 May @ 11:59 PM PT

* The Fall of Carthage: The Punic Wars 265-146BC

* Ten Feet Tall: Collected Stories
_Carthage_ probably a "buy" for me.

Before I forget it: the Kindle ebook (for some reason, I can't make a link using my cellphone right now. Here's the full address: https://www.amazon.com/Fall-Carthage...gateway&sr=8-3 [nevermind--upon reviewing the post, I noticed that the cellphone did it for me ]) is also marked way down, to $3.99. I don't know if the audiobook and ebook will or can sync together or not.

_My Review_
Few of us realize that Carthage was a very powerful rival to Rome for several centuries--we hear relatively very little about them (an example of "the winner writes the history"?). The history of the interaction between the two of them is nothing, if not fascinating.

I would be grabbing the audiobook, for certain, but I'm not so sure, now. Goldsworthy is an author of the first magnitude of popular-level history. Sometimes he might get a little too caught up in his work, though. This ebook is a hefty 420 pages. Looking over the reviews for the ebook, my eyes quickly caught two reviews--one saying that the book was "detailed," and the other stating that it was "tedious." I love history, especially that about Rome. But the hours and hours of audio corresponding to a book of that length, droning on and on, might be more than even I can stand. However, when the book gets to the actual destruction of Carthage, it will keep one's attention--the descriptions that I have heard and read (mostly heard) of this event are about the most gory and gut-wrenching that I have ever heard and read. The ancient rulers and their armies generally had little, if any, regard for human suffering. They make modern-day terrorists, and such, look like first grade ("elementary" school) bullies.

Signed,
Not Siskel, not Ebert (and don't want to be--they're both _dead_).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-27-2019 at 07:16 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #5408
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 28 May @ 11:59 PM BST

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-28-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #5409
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
The first of another month is imminent. Accompanying it, of course are new offerings of ebook and audiobook specials.

Prior to the big day, Christianaudio.com has a couple of dozen audiobooks at sale prices. The first one on the list that I'm about to give you, was the freebie of this month (May). To be frank, I don't remember whether or not any of the rest of them were offered at special prices on the first of this month or not. However, there is one that I'm about to purchase, which I didn't purchase at the first of the month; I like it so well that I can't imagine it being on sale the first of this month and me not purchasing it. If that tells you anything.

The special prices generally range from about $5 to $8.

The webpage with all of ChristianAudio's sale audiobooks.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-28-2019 at 05:02 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #5410
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 28 May @ 11:59 PM PT

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-28-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #5411
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour -- Rental of the Week -- exp 03 Jun
  • $1.99 -- The Girl Who Ran -- Nikki Owen/ January LaVoy --> 9.2 hrs --> suspense
Quote:
The Project Trilogy (book 3) -- Rental Only

A genius mathematician with the ability to remember every detail she sees, Dr. Maria Martinez—Subject 375—has finally escaped the covert Project Callidus group that’s been controlling her since birth.

But her escape only intensifies the Project’s need to retrieve their subject. The powers at the very top of the organization will stop at nothing to ensure that she fulfills the mission she was born to complete.

Maria soon realizes, despite the distance she puts between herself and her pursuers, that she can trust no one and that there’s no way to hide and stay safe forever. Can she trust herself enough to stop running and right the path of her own destiny—even if that means returning to the very people she has fought so hard to escape?
Rental FAQ
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    When does my rental period begin?

Your rental timer will begin counting down when you first initiate the download on your device or 10 days after purchase, whichever comes first.
    Quote:
    How long can I listen to a title?

All digital rentals provide a minimum of 30 days to listen to a book from the time you initiate your first download. With some of our longer books, such as Atlas Shrugged (63hrs), we extend the listening period to 60 days. You do have the option of purchasing a 5, 10, or 20 day extension after you have made your rental purchase.
    Quote:
    How many times can I listen to my rental?

You may listen to a rental as many times as you would like until it expires.
    Quote:
    Can I extend my rental time period?

Once you are logged into your Downpour.com account, you can purchase a time extension for any of your previous rentals via THIS link. After clicking “Extend Rental,” you have the option of purchasing a 5-day ($1.95), 10-day ($2.95) or 20-day ($4.95) extension. If your rental has not yet expired, the purchased time will be added onto your rental. (Example: if your rental has one day remaining, and you purchase a five-day extension, you will now have six days total before your rental expires.) If your rental has already expired, the extension will allow you to listen to your book again for the amount of time purchased.
    Quote:
    Can I have the same rental on more than one device?

You may listen to your audiobook rental on as many personal devices as you own. Your rental time will be synced across all devices on which you have installed the Downpour app.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #5412
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible/Kindle -- to be released Summer 2020
  • FREE -- Essays -- Mindy Kaling/ Mindy Kaling -- unk hrs -- essays

This one won't be available until next year.

Mindy Kaling to Publish New Essay Collection with Amazon
Quote:
Next summer, the best-selling author, actor, and producer will offer her fresh take on life, love, and single mommy-hood in a series of bite-sized essays spanning the past few years

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 28, 2019-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon Original Stories, an imprint of Amazon Publishing, announced today Mindy Kaling’s forthcoming essay collection, coming in summer 2020. Kaling’s essays will be available for free to Prime and Kindle Unlimited customers. Readers and listeners can download the collection as a Kindle eBook or as an Audible audiobook, which Kaling will narrate herself. Kaling is represented by Richard Abate, 3 Arts Entertainment.

The beloved best-selling author, actor, and producer will share laugh-out-loud, heartwarming, and highly-relatable dispatches from the latest chapter of her life, like the ups and downs of being her own husband, friendship in the time of babies, watching The Handmaid’s Tale while pregnant, and hanging with fabulous and inspiring women like Reese, Sandy, and Oprah (OK, maybe that last one’s not as relatable). In her two best-selling memoirs, Why Not Me? and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, readers fell in love with Mindy’s awkward coming-of-age stories and rooted for her bold dreams. Now, Kaling shares her charming and intimate reflections on life changes—big and small—from the past few years.

Mindy Kaling

more...

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-28-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #5413
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Google Audio -- exp unknown
Quote:
In 1902, self-taught British philosopher and author James Allen published this inspirational essay based on the Bible verse “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” This slender volume (only 68 pages) has been a popular classic ever since. Allen preached the importance of people taking responsibility for themselves and their actions as well as using determination to improve the mind.

The most frequently quoted lines from the book include: "Men do not attract what they want, but what they are" and "A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts."
Note: this is same title that was offered last month, but with a different narrator.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #5414
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 29 May @ 11:59 PM BST
  • £2.99 -- Paul Temple (book 2) -- Francis Durbridge --> mystery

* Paul Temple: The Complete Radio Collection: Volume Two (The Fifties)

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-29-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:00 AM   #5415
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Sync Audio -- exp 30 May @ 7 AM ET