Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Anyone here remove books from sd card after reading?

I had to send our jbl back to ectaco for repairs because it locked up, so while I am awaiting it's return I come here to get my "fix".
I only keep a few books on the sd card, and as soon as one is read, I delete it. I have it stored on my computer and figure I can always put it back on the sd card if I want to. Seems like the less books on the card, the less time it takes for the jbl to sort through what is on there and the quicker it will load my books. Is that a realistic assumption or does it make any difference at all?
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
My ebooks seem to load up pretty quick, in fact I was impressed with the speed they loaded. All my ebooks are html, JBL reads them well so have no intention of changing the format.

Don't know if it would be quicker for just a few ebooks as I loaded up all my ebooks into the sd card as soon as I got the device. It currently holds a few hundred books. I initially used a 1 gig sd card but then changed to a 4 sdhc card, for room to grow.

As I stated on another thread I re-read a lot and never know when the urge to read a certain book will grab me so I like having all my books at my fingertips so to speak.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I have left the couple dozen books I have read so far on there. I tend to reread a year or two down the road and there is always the chance someone else may want to look at the books I have for book ideas. Easier to leave them on the SD card. I have 100 books on it right now and it seems to give the JBL no issues,
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
I'm a hoarder and travel a great deal so keep all my ebooks (maybe 300?) on an SD card and add new ones as soon as I buy, download and "disinfect". The cards are also interchangeable between the two JBLs that my husband and I share, so we always have something to read no matter where we are.

I catalog books in folders, one to an author - only 2 levels, so they are easy to browse. Haven't had any problems with the speed of browsing or loading a new book, and even when repaginating (say after choosing a different size font or alignment) after the first few seconds one can read while the pages are re-loading in the background.

I will delete a book if I didn't enjoy it and don't intend to ever look at it again; but by and large, like bjkel, I am a re-reader and like to have my whole book collection at my fingertips.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't think I have ever intentionally re-read a book; even if I really enjoyed it. There are too many other books out there "calling to me". In fact, I have started reading books I have read before, and as soon as something "triggers" the fact I've read it before I quit and look for another book. I was just curious. I do keep all my ebooks on a zip drive in case something would happen to my computer. I don't want to lose my ebooks, read or un-read.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I keep a master folder of all my books on the PC. (which is also backed up to DVD)

At one point I had about 6k of books on the SD card, and about 2k of them were loose, unsorted in the root directory. That did seem to slow things down some. Delays of 1 - 3 seconds longer than I expected, etc.

Eventually I cleaned up the card, sorted out all the unsorted stuff, removed some stuff that I'm not likely to read soon. Got down to about 4k books, and the jetbook went back to being snappy again.

But yes I do delete "most" books as I read them. Knowing that I have copies in my master folder. Just makes it easier to keep track of what I've read.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote