Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Reader damaged by mobile phone

Hello there,

I have come across a PRS-505 user with a problem I had never heard of. After searching the forum and finding nothing, I want to ask for your help and counsel.

This girl apparently left a cell phone on top of her leather covered Reader for a couple of hours and, when she came back, part of the screen was blank and wouldn't refresh.

Have any of you heard about any such thing? Any suggestions/solutions apart from reseting/shutting down the Reader?

Thanks
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sounds more like it was mechanically damaged, I doubt that mobile phone radiation would damage the screen somehow. Can she make a photo you can post?

I will put my money where my mouth is even and leave my blackberry, turned on, on my reader overnight without any cover this night.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Peto
Legal Alien

XD Better not.

I'll ask for the pict.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Hello there,

I have come across a PRS-505 user with a problem I had never heard of. After searching the forum and finding nothing, I want to ask for your help and counsel.

This girl apparently left a cell phone on top of her leather covered Reader for a couple of hours and, when she came back, part of the screen was blank and wouldn't refresh.

Have any of you heard about any such thing? Any suggestions/solutions apart from reseting/shutting down the Reader?

Thanks
Classic case of post hoc ergo propter hoc, don't you think?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I've had my phone sat right next to my reader on a regular basis when both are in the phone/mp3 player pocket of my laptop bag (and can be sat there all day under my desk unless I want one of them) without a problem. The phone pocket, holds the phone right next to the reader.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Riocaz - I've had my mobile phone sitting on top of my eBook reader (many different eBook readers, in fact), on my bedside table, pretty much every night, all night, for the last 3 years. There is no way that the very low-power radio emissions from a mobile phone are going to "damage" an eInk screen, and I say that as a professional physicist.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Classic case of post hoc ergo propter hoc, don't you think?
Yeah, most likely but no harm asking.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Riocaz - I've had my mobile phone sitting on top of my eBook reader (many different eBook readers, in fact), on my bedside table, pretty much every night, all night, for the last 3 years. There is no way that the very low-power radio emissions from a mobile phone are going to "damage" an eInk screen, and I say that as a professional physicist.
Ok, thanks to all for the quick responses. I consider this issue clarified and will recommend to search for other reasons like somebody pressing the phone against the screen, for example.

Thank you all