Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Ranpha
Ranpha began at the beginning.

Device: ex-dr1000s user
Bebook question

How does the bebook compare with reading manga? (japanse comic)?

Also after the dr1000S battery drama, how does the battery last?

and can you replacement the battery by yourself?
Ranpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranpha View Post
How does the bebook compare with reading manga? (japanse comic)?

Also after the dr1000S battery drama, how does the battery last?

and can you replacement the battery by yourself?
Very well. Look at http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Browsing%...veral%20images to see how you can do this.

As for the battery, it's a standard Nokia battery - Nokia BL-4C if memory serves me correctly.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Ranpha

Oh that nice a nokia battery but the images i get but i want to see how the images is displayed . won't the 4 grey color affect the images?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
Very well. Look at http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Browsing%...veral%20images to see how you can do this.

As for the battery, it's a standard Nokia battery - Nokia BL-4C if memory serves me correctly.
Just for the sake of completeness this was mentioned in another thread, where Torbich said the battery was a Nokia BL-5C

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30355
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Ranpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post

Just for reference .... manga can be shown on the 6 inch 600x800 screen ..however you have to size down to 600x 750 on a desktop computer to get good results and you have to tweak the image with the brightness (i needed it to set darker for better results)

I do however testing this out because i was a bit dissappointed about the size ..but so far it's readable and works nice ..to be contuined
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #6
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
The Hanlin is the worst reader you can buy for images.
Usually images look horrible because there are only 2 shades of grey on top of black and white.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnareAcademy View Post
Usually images look horrible because there are only 2 shades of grey on top of black and white.
Most of the older EInk devices have only 4 greyscales (because they all use the same display controller). I agree though, that the Hanlin is not best (and may be worst) for images. It does not seem to dither images to gain more effective greyscales, and its clipping and resizing (does it do any?) is not state of the art.

The EZ Reader manual mentions (pg 31) that the contrast and brightness can be adjusted when browsing images. This is a capability unique to the Hanlin so far as I know. I have never tried this, does it help?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
To optimise images, you really need to create them in 4 gray shades & dithered before you try to display them.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Most of the older EInk devices have only 4 greyscales (because they all use the same display controller). I agree though, that the Hanlin is not best (and may be worst) for images. It does not seem to dither images to gain more effective greyscales, and its clipping and resizing (does it do any?) is not state of the art.

The EZ Reader manual mentions (pg 31) that the contrast and brightness can be adjusted when browsing images. This is a capability unique to the Hanlin so far as I know. I have never tried this, does it help?
It does help when viewing images. the default contrast is too high resulting in harsh images. Toning it down makes a huge difference. They do have dithering and images don't look that bad when the contrast is set to 4 instead of 5. you can achieve about 10 to 12 distinct grays. However, the setting is lost once you leave the set of images you are viewing and you can't change it for an image that is in a book. I have requested this change from Jinke.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Why is it "the worst"? Why would it be any worse than, say, the CyBook, which also has a 4 grey-scale screen?

If you use a decent graphics package to "dither" the images, they can look very good, even on a 4 grey-scale device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #11
IgnareAcademy
Banned

The worst with the Cybook.
I do not have the time to dither every image that can appear in all the books I have.
With a better screen there is no need to waste one's time dithering images in many books.
Wasting time is bad.
On the other hand the Hanlin supports many file formats, which helps waste less time changing the format of unsupported files.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The worst with the Cybook.
I do not have the time to dither every image that can appear in all the books I have.
With a better screen there is no need to waste one's time dithering images in many books.
Wasting time is bad.
On the other hand the Hanlin supports many file formats, which helps waste less time changing the format of unsupported files.
the Hanlin dithers files by itself. However it currently defaults to a high contrast which favors black areas too much. This can make it seem bad. You can give it light images but as you say this means custom work. Hopefully Jinke will fix this in the next release.

Dale
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #13
IgnareAcademy
Banned

Interesting! Of the two books with pictures I checked yesterday, both transferred through mobireader, one had well dithered images, while the other ended up with far too white pictures. In both cases MobiReader made the pictures too small though.

This wikipedia article is a good read to understand dithering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithering
Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Interesting! Of the two books with pictures I checked yesterday, both transferred through mobireader, one had well dithered images, while the other ended up with far too white pictures. In both cases MobiReader made the pictures too small though.

This wikipedia article is a good read to understand dithering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dithering
that is consistent with my results as well. Images are far to black or far to white, the contrast is exaggerated to the two ends of the spectrum. Dropping the contrast improves this a bunch. Take your two images and place them on the device as images and then use the image viewer to view them where you can play with the brightness and contrast and you will see what I mean.

Dale