Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
Hop-frog
Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon N510Ⅱ
Is sunlight still a problem for E Ink readers?

I bought an e-reader in 2010. It worked fine until I took it out into the sun. The middle of the screen quickly developed a large black spot, making it unusable. I was surprised that the instruction book never warned about going out into the sun, and I've seen marketing for e-readers showing people reading at the beach. I have searched these forums for mentions of problems caused by sunlight, but the most recent posts I could find about this problem were from 2008. Is sunlight no longer an issue for e-readers? Is this a problem that only impacted older models? Or specific to e-readers with certain E Ink technology?
Hop-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This was an issue with the older versions of e-ink. It's not so bad with the newer models. I live in the desert. I read by the swimming pool in temperatures above what eink recommends. It's normal to be 110-120 F here. The only think I notice is that newer models get a little sluggish in the heat.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
What brand of ereader? That would be a help. Oh and when did you take it out in the sun?
I have kindles and Kobos from 2011 and it has no problem in the sun.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
Hop-frog
Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon N510Ⅱ
The brand was Hanvon. I took it in the sun only a month after having it.
Hop-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here is a typical thread from 2010 which documents the issue that I recall. It affected multiple ereader brands iand was related to a specific screen manufacturer. You could see if this seems similar to your problem.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81235
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read in the sun all the time. I live in Arkansas where it gets pretty hot in summer. Typical high in summer is 95 to 100. I've had Kindles and Nooks and Kobos in the sun since 2009 and never a problem.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've been using my Kindle Paperwhite 1 for four years in conditions ranging from almost freezing in winter to reading in direct sunlight in midsummer, and I've never had a problem with it. The screen still looks exactly as it did when I bought it in november 2012.

So yeah, if there ever was a problem, it's only there with older readers (before 2012).

I don't know what would happen if you put an e reader in bright sunlight for 8 hours straight without moving it and not changing a page during that time. I never did it. I wouldn't recommend it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:18 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect HEAT would be more damaging than the light.
My e-ink reader gets really Hot from direct sunlight, making it uncomfortable to hold.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post
I bought an e-reader in 2010. It worked fine until I took it out into the sun. The middle of the screen quickly developed a large black spot, making it unusable.
How quickly is quickly? I've never heard of this before, and I'm used to spending hours outside under direct sunlight since the Kindle 3. And this is coming from the heat of Texas, Oklahoma and South Carolina. I hate to break it to you but I think that you treated your problem as a failure of e-ink, when you're actually in the minority.

Did you leave your reader in the car?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post
I bought an e-reader in 2010. It worked fine until I took it out into the sun. The middle of the screen quickly developed a large black spot, making it unusable. I was surprised that the instruction book never warned about going out into the sun, and I've seen marketing for e-readers showing people reading at the beach. I have searched these forums for mentions of problems caused by sunlight, but the most recent posts I could find about this problem were from 2008. Is sunlight no longer an issue for e-readers? Is this a problem that only impacted older models? Or specific to e-readers with certain E Ink technology?
LG made some Pearl eInk screens that had a defect in sunlight. This affected different brands of Readers. That problem is no longer a problem. My nook STR, 650, T1, and H2O all work fine outdoors in the sun. The problem was that the text would fade and not properly refresh. The problem of a big black spot was not a problem with these screens.

Unfortunately, give the age of your Reader, if you want to fix the sunlight problem, you'll have to buy a new one.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-30-2016 at 10:18 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote