Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Computer Monitor

I got my new laptop today and so far I am happy except for one thing. I cannot connect the external monitor I have to it.

It has an HDMI port. Any suggestions on what monitor will work with this.

This is what I purchased - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314852
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:56 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does your current monitor have a DVI hookup?

If so something like this should work...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-113-_-Product

If it's got VGA only there are adapters, but they're hit or miss from what I'm told.

Otherwise any monitor with HDMI should work fine. Are you looking for a certain size? Touchscreen or no? Any resolution requirements (2K, 4K)?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does your current monitor have a DVI hookup?

If so something like this should work...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-113-_-Product

If it's got VGA only there are adapters, but they're hit or miss from what I'm told.

Otherwise any monitor with HDMI should work fine. Are you looking for a certain size? Touchscreen or no? Any resolution requirements (2K, 4K)?
No touch screen. My current one is a 25 inch. I do not know what the resolution is. I do not know if it is VGA or not. All I know for usre is it has 3 roles of 5 pins in each role.

The back of the external monitor has 2 separate areas to connect something similar with pins. Kind of like monitors that first came out with computers.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:18 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite

There are a bunch of different versions of "DVI", but basically look for that little rectangular slot on one side.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #5
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

This is what my cable looks like

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	138544

And this is the laptop I purchased - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314852

Last edited by KyBunnies; 05-23-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Advert
Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
This is what my cable looks like

Attachment 138544
VGA...

Most monitors in recent years have both a port for a VGA cable (usually blue) and one for DVI (usually white), and even more recently many have HDMI.

This link should give options in the 23-26" range that have an HDMI port...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NG&PageSize=30

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-23-2015 at 01:56 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:54 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Both connectors on the monitor are the same? In that case you're dealing with VGA, which unfortunately is much more complicated to adapt from HDMI than DVI is.

Hmm, well any modern monitor will have DVI, and plenty have HDMI as well. Or you could always do what I do and use a television as your monitor.

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-23-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #8
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Both connectors on the monitor are the same? In that case you're dealing with VGA, which unfortunately is much more complicated to adapt from HDMI than DVI is.

Hmm, well any modern monitor will have DVI, and plenty have HDMI as well. Or you could always do what I do and use a television as your monitor.

I do not have a television. So that option is out.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:09 AM   #9
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Thanks a bunch. I will pick one out and order.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:32 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I got my new laptop today and so far I am happy except for one thing. I cannot connect the external monitor I have to it.

It has an HDMI port. Any suggestions on what monitor will work with this.

This is what I purchased - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314852
http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch...2362520&sr=8-1

This is the monitor I have and it is very nice.

ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD LED-lit Professional Graphics Monitor (2560x1440)

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-23-2015 at 02:35 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 AM   #11
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

JS if I had room on my desk for that I would get it.