Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #766
leonardo84
leonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm glad i finally found people i can actually comunicate about duokan, and some people here have same "complaints" as me.

I use duokan since version 5 or something, when they have the "Title" sort option, which in my opinion was by far the best of the sorting options. After some updates, the option just dissapeared. Why in hell would someone do that? I mean, its a feature which people might use or dont, if u dont like it just dont use, but there is absolute no need to remove it.

Same thing happened to the contrast option (i didnt knew they had that option in past). Again, its an OPTION, no one is obligated to use it, but seems like they just removed it for no reason.

User buddha2012 posted olders version, so i'm downgrading my kindle today and see if there is that much improvement on newer versions. If don't, i will stick to it for a while, and hope they implement this features back.
leonardo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #767
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
About language settings on "Duokan for Kindle Touch"

like said before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
DuoKan Dev Team's response about the localisation support:
Quote:
Currently we're focusing on our DuoKan book store and don't have enough resources for multi-language support. It's in the schedule and we'll support it when we have resources.
Hence there is no way to change the language on Kindle Touch unless Duokan Dev Team will enable it.

You can send an email to them about this issue: kindleuser@duokan.com
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #768
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Hey all, I'm leaning towards buying K4B and I can see there are not that much resources for it. Speaking of Duokan, I'd like to ask few questions to the people using it:
1. How it compares readingwise to the kindle default - font clarity, sharpness, contrast, refresh speed
2. Have you noticed it using more battery and thus shortening the lifespan of the kindle or it is all the same?
3. Does it perform "indexing" of the books like the original kindle, i.e. if I load 800 books in it (organized in folders), will it handle these okay?
4. Anyone tried it with cyrillic file names/books?

I have seen the new versions lack english translation and trying to imagine how cool it will be working with chinese, but they will eventually add translation (I hope)

Thanks
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #769
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Hey all, I'm leaning towards buying K4B and I can see there are not that much resources for it. Speaking of Duokan, I'd like to ask few questions to the people using it:
1. How it compares readingwise to the kindle default - font clarity, sharpness, contrast, refresh speed
2. Have you noticed it using more battery and thus shortening the lifespan of the kindle or it is all the same?
3. Does it perform "indexing" of the books like the original kindle, i.e. if I load 800 books in it (organized in folders), will it handle these okay?
4. Anyone tried it with cyrillic file names/books?

I have seen the new versions lack english translation and trying to imagine how cool it will be working with chinese, but they will eventually add translation (I hope)

Thanks
1. Worse. I had Duokan in my K3 and I almost used it exclusively. In K4 the letters look very bad, like they were printed with less ink.
2. The old Duokan used a bit more battery, but not that much. I don't know about the K4. I don't think that there will be much difference (if any).
3. The good thing is that it can handle normal folders, so you can organize your Kindle like a USB drive with various folders.
4. No, sorry.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #770
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info GlassX, I guess they will fix what they broke with the fonts, I saw it mentioned several times in this thread, I guess they got enough of complains in chinese too
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #771
andy1m
Enthusiast
andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: K4NT, PaperWhite
Upgrading to R6.5 (2012-10-19.16744.rtm) now. They said bug that forgot our last reading page fixed already. Hope it will run better
andy1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #772
buddha2012
buddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toys

Device: K3 & K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
1. Worse. I had Duokan in my K3 and I almost used it exclusively. In K4 the letters look very bad, like they were printed with less ink.
Because of that problem I have sold my K4NT again. Duokan old was/is the much better solution in terms of contrast. They should forget about all those little bugs and focus on the main problem of Duokan 2012: contrast.
I will not update my Duokan 2012 any more until someone here posts that this problem has been solved.

Kindle Paperwhite + Duokan(contrast & font problem solved) will be the next step in evolution
buddha2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #773
andy1m
Enthusiast
andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'andy1m knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Hey guys anybody tried R6.5 yet? I think the screen just look a bit clearer, not sure just my feeling or what (in EPUB). Even I refresh only every 5 page.

And for PDF, no more sticking words. The Smart Layout just work great!

This version is much better than before
Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #774
mcinnocent
Enthusiast
mcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle4NT
I am not able to download R6.5 2012-10-19.16744.rtm :-(
Is there another download location= Not the official site, because I am not able to understand chinese ....)

Maybe someone here can upload the file somewhere? That would be very nice! THX!

Last edited by mcinnocent; 10-20-2012 at 06:20 AM.
mcinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #775
andy1m
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinnocent View Post
Is there another download location= Not the official site, because I am not able to understand chinese ....)

Try this google translation.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...EBImn2XZ269kNA
Old 10-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #776
mcinnocent
Enthusiast
mcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enoughmcinnocent will become famous soon enough

I solved the downloading problem in that way:
I downloaded an older version with links in this thread and installed duokan and then I updated OT, so now I have the newest version 2012-10-19.16744.
I had one problem during install-process: In the Installation manual is written that at a certain point you need to start duokantool.exe and insert your serial number. I spend several hours to search for the file "duokantool.exe", but could not find it for downloading. So I only rebooted the device and what surprise, duokan was installed without this step

I changed the language to my own language (german) with the help of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8VHJYo1xc

Some people here said that the contrast in older duokan versions is better than in the new one. I dont know the older versions, but in this version the contrast seems to be good.
In which older version was the contrast better?
I am now glad to have a K4NT which supports epub
Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #777
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinnocent View Post

You can download latest Duokan versions for K3/K4 from the Hungarian Duokan Blog. Don't be afraid of strange hungarian words, it's easy to find the download links.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #778
andy1m
Enthusiast

In R6.5 I just have problems opening some files in EPUB & Mobi format, the screen just blank in white color for few seconds. Sometimes can open the first page for 1-2 second and screen became blank. But the system was not hang.

Not sure the problem was caused by the R6.5 or the file themselves but opening those files in computer (Linux) encounter no problems!

So I converted those Mobi to Epub with calibre and everything is ok now.

Still not sure what was the problems, just want to share here.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #779
mcinnocent
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

THX! Thats great! I searched several hours but didnt find a working download site for the newest version!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #780
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

Interesting... mcinnocent, you say that to you the contrast is the same as with default kindle viewer? Maybe they fixed it?

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf