Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The Amazon Kindle tablet predicted sales figures have been cut in half

Quote:
Even with sales estimates that creep closer to reality, Amazon’s Kindle tablet is poised to become the best-selling Android tablet to date when following its launch later this fall. In a note to investors, Barclays analyst Anthony DiClemente offered up what is seemingly a more realistic sales projection than prior estimates: 2 million units in 2011. An earlier report claimed Amazon is looking to sell 4 million Kindle tablets this year...
(more...)
No real explanation is given, I goggled around for an answer. So here is my reason.

The rumors have done a lot to answer peoples questions and concerns. I'm thinking that many folks who where excited about the amazon tablet are not as interested now that they know the Kindle will be closed and the Android OS will be forked. It's just another nook or eDevice with it's own OS.

There are however a good many folks that love the Amazon experience and will still buy into this tablet simply for that reason. Which is why this will be a great selling tablet. It just won't sell as many as it could have sold if it was a true android tablet.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I figured 2 Million with a mid-to-late November launch . It will still be very good.
I doubt making it a "true Android tablet"-whatever that means- would have helped Amazon any more than what it decided to do.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Gearing up production for 2 million units in 2-3 months of a brand new product seems ambitious; 4 million even more so.

Would not be surprised though if it turns out to be like the Wii, Furby, and Tickle-me Elmo around December 17th, though.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Gearing up production for 2 million units in 2-3 months of a brand new product seems ambitious; 4 million even more so.
It's ambitious, but not overwhelmingly so. The iPad sells about a million units a week, I believe, so 2 million in 8 weeks is only a quarter of that. Amazon is a big enough brand to pull it off, if anyone can.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I believe Amazon also initially intended to offer a 10" version in conjunction with the 7" version, but the 10" version has been delayed to at least Q1 of 2012. So this may be another reason for cutting sales estimates -- it lost me as a customer.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
10" loses me as a customer.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rest easy, both of you . Amazon will offer both versions.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No real explanation is given, I goggled around for an answer. So here is my reason.

The rumors have done a lot to answer peoples questions and concerns. I'm thinking that many folks who where excited about the amazon tablet are not as interested now that they know the Kindle will be closed and the Android OS will be forked. It's just another nook or eDevice with it's own OS.

There are however a good many folks that love the Amazon experience and will still buy into this tablet simply for that reason. Which is why this will be a great selling tablet. It just won't sell as many as it could have sold if it was a true android tablet.

=X=
For me, at least, this is true -- and then there's the sizing issue.

I'm really interested in a 10" device that isn't too expensive and has access to the Google Market.

The "preview" I read of the Amazon tablet was a big "no thank you" for me. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't really use the Amazon ecosystem, so it's basically worthless to me.

I might buy it and root it, but... probably not. Because I don't want another 7" Nook Color, you know? And by time the 10" comes out, my ADD means I'll be lusting after something else at that point.

So, for me at least, you have guessed correctly.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad sells about a million units a week
So they *didn't* just finally sell their millionth iPad, and start a facebook promotion giving them away? hehehe...sorry I had to, I've got a friend who kept spamming me because she didn't know how to clean out her applications.

/offtopic

I might go in for one of these if I'm feeling flush with cash when it drops. I like my Nook Color tablet, but might like the amazon platform integration to complement my KSO.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would point out that Amazon does not have a history of announcing actual sales figures for anything they sell, much less project sales for products they have not even announced. It seems unlikely that they would make an exception here. So all of this is pure speculation and will remain thus for quite some time.

And I have yet to see anything that would interest me in the 7" tablet (even the wildly speculative versions).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:

=X=
With a big difference! Amazon bookstore is better than B&N, even the overall website's design. I'm hoping the mobile version will be as good as the regular one. Plus you potentially can do much more, like watching videos or even interact with the whole Amazon's store.

It won't be another Nook, it will be ** an Amazon tablet ** ...

Of course, if the user already dislike Amazon and was thinking on playing Angry Birds and that kind of stuff, this won't be the tablet for him.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-14-2011 at 04:17 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The headline is misleading. The prediction for the (unannounced) Amazon tablet has not bee cut in half. Two different people have presented their view: 3 to 5 million as per Forrester and 2 million as per Barclays. Forrester's estimate had a number of specific caveats including supply chain issues. Note that these are solely US-based sales as Amazon is unlikely to sell this device outside of the US any time soon (as the content which drives it is only licensed for the US).

In late June, Digitimes floated 4 million but that source is notoriously rumour driven and virtually everything they print of this nature can be dismissed until a reliable source steps forward (by a fluke, Digitimes is occasionally right).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:

The rumors have done a lot to answer peoples questions and concerns. I'm thinking that many folks who where excited about the amazon tablet are not as interested now that they know the Kindle will be closed and the Android OS will be forked.
From my humble perspective, the rumors have done a lot to answer people's questions about rumors, and nobody knows anything about anything.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
From my humble perspective, the rumors have done a lot to answer people's questions about rumors, and nobody knows anything about anything.
What? Is the hands-on demo article (Engadget? I so very much cannot remember.) now considered untrustworthy? I thought it was pretty coherent about the tablet and how it functioned.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
What? Is the hands-on demo article (Engadget? I so very much cannot remember.) now considered untrustworthy? I thought it was pretty coherent about the tablet and how it functioned.
It was TechCrunch, and was thought quite reliable.