Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Remember, Amazon only sells to Kindles, and Barnes&Noble only sells to Americans (US of). If you want world-wide sales, Smashwords can get your books into Kobo, Sony, and Apple, as well as Amazon and B&N. Somebody should figure out what percentage of the English-reading world those 300 million Americans amount to - 30% or less?
Just follow their style guide and your book will come out at least OK, if not excellent.
I prefer to buy direct from authors, if possible, then from Smashwords, and lastly from the big distributors. I don't like booting up Windows just to have to deal with Adobe DRM.
I live in the USA and I can't use Barnes & Noble ebooks because of the DRM. Apparently you have to be a Nook owner to read their ebooks too. I like my Sony so I guess I can make it without Amazon and B & N.

I can get ebooks I can read at Smashwords.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
I like Smashwords for the ability to get books into places I couldn't otherwise, but I wish they would allow us to upload our own mobi/epub files rather than use the meatgrinder. That said, the final product isn't horrendous, it's just not the way I would really like it.

The big thing I really like is the lack of DRM. Makes porting my books around a lot easier since I have an ipad (with different ereaders on it) and a Kobo Touch.

LJ, thanks for the rec on INgrooves...will check that out.
davidhburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhburton View Post
I like Smashwords for the ability to get books into places I couldn't otherwise, but I wish they would allow us to upload our own mobi/epub files rather than use the meatgrinder. That said, the final product isn't horrendous, it's just not the way I would really like it.

The big thing I really like is the lack of DRM. Makes porting my books around a lot easier since I have an ipad (with different ereaders on it) and a Kobo Touch.

LJ, thanks for the rec on INgrooves...will check that out.
I prefer to have no margins. So I edit the ePub to fix that. When I look at the code in a Smashwords ePub, it is truly nasty. So even if it might look good enough, it's really not.

There is a very simple way to solve Smashwords problems. Allow every format to be uploaded and make ePub mandatory. Then any format not uploaded, use the ePub to covert to. That would make things a lot nicer and eliminate most issues. I would hope authors would not still do Word to ePub unless they bother to clean it up.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-12-2011 at 10:30 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #19
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I buy most of my books at Smashwords. If I see the book someplace else, I will check at Smashwords and buy it there. If it is not there or anyplace else without DRM, then I will not purchase it. I have a large to-be-read list and no need to get any book right now. If I run out of books to read and remember the author later, I may check again.

I've never had a problem with the epub or lrf files at Smashwords. I also like that I can quickly check if the author has uploaded a "corrected" version and download that one easily.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #20
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I prefer Smashwords, I mean if I can't find what I want then I see if there.s anywhere else whose got those books w/o DRM, and putting my book on there may not make much, but it will get more exposure. That's what i'm hoping for.... besides, Amazon is, too shifty for me. But I do go there for last resort. I've had glitches with Diesel and B&N books.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #21
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I own a Kindle, but I buy from Smashwords whenever possible. Smashwords is multi-format with no geographical restrictions. The browsing ability on the site itself is sub-par, but whenever I see a good indie book on the Kindle Store, I immediately search if it's available on Smashwords. I think Smashwords is worth the time.

Last edited by Frida Fantastic; 07-13-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #22
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
You can also get your books into Kobo, Sony, and Apple through a distribution service like INgrooves.
That may be true, but I suspect (do not know with certaintly) that Smashwords is increasingly becoming the place that readers go to when looking for indie authors. I know I never think to look at Sony or B&N for indie-authored ebooks; I always go to Smashwords.

And like others have said, if a book is available at both Sony and Smashwords, I buy it at Smashwords. I prefer no DRM. Today I have a Sony Reader but tomorrow I don't know what device I will have and Smashwords gives me the best hope of being able to read a book on a future device.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #23
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Like others I use Smashwords to get my books in to Sony, Apple, etc... everywhere other then Amazon (they are still fighting with Amazon). The EPUB's it puts out are fine and work great on every device I have tried them on.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Smashwords is a great place to get a foot in the door of self-publishing. Their style guide has the virtue of being definite about what they want you to do. After spending a year working on a first novel, that kind of support on the production end of things--something I only really thought about once I was finished writing--is very reassuring. One less thing to fret over. And for what it's worth, I have downloaded all my Smashwords books onto my Nook and have not had any problems with formatting.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Lurikov
Lurikov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
As an author, I am very pleased with Smashwords. It is a wonderful way for writers who are not especially experienced with e-books to publish their work. The distribution services at Smashwords have also been very helpful.

Last edited by Lurikov; 01-21-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Lurikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #26
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
In my opinion upload your books to every site necessary or at least to ones more relevant. Amazon is what brings more exposure to the book, maybe more sales but Smashwords has many benefices and people will prefer buy your books through there. It's the indies paradise.

Another e-bookstore you may want to consider is Feedbooks, don't have many experience with it but people that use it seem to be satisfied with the service. And they have some partners too.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I looked at feedbooks, but they are a freaking pain. You have to rip apart you book and redo it completely, chapter by chapter to get it on their site. I could find no way to up load a EPUB, DOC, or anything. Just straight text (so no formatting, and etc). I emailed them asking if there was another way to do it any they never replied. So I assume that means "no".

If someone knows some other way to use them, please let me know...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #28
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Yeah I saw that. You almost don't have any liberty in the editing of your book. But at least their own formatting seems good for what I saw.

You could always send a PM to Hadrien, never talked to him directly but remembered some posts I saw by him and went to search his profile for you. But I think that maybe that's just the way they work. Their primary target I think it's smartphones and principally iOS devices, so that must be one of the reason of restricting the editing and publishing of the book.

*EDIT* forget what I said, I saw that you already posted a message on his profile
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #29
Peggy Trentini
Author "Once Upon a Star"
Peggy Trentini began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I Have been on Smashwords for 4 months and have had very few sales. I'm not sure I like the fact that they offer pdf version to buyers as this is the easiest format to pirate. I am considering taking my book off since the sells are so low anyway might not be worth the risk.
Peggy Trentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I have bought hundreds of books from Smashwords. I check them every day. Living in Australia there aren't so many places I can buy ebooks.

There is a lot of crap at Smashwords but also some treasures.

I look for genre and storylines that appeal to me. THEN I ELIMINATE ANY BOOKS WHERE THE BLURB HAS SPELLING OR GRAMMAR MISTAKES. If you want to sell a book you should at least make sure your advertising is correct.

If books don't sell at Smashwords, who's to say they'd do much better anywhere else?
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote