Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
SpeedBum9
SpeedBum9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (partner has Kindle 3)
ubuntu + Calibre + Kindle + error messgaes

running calibre with my kindle has been graet, however in the last week when i try and send the papers i like ot the kindle i get the following error message

[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/Kindle/documents/News/The Irish Times (Friday, December 31, 2010) - calibre.mobi'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 56, in run
self.result = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 233, in _upload_books
metadata=metadata, end_session=False)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 109, in upload_books
self.put_file(infile, filepath, replace_file=True)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/cli.py", line 53, in put_file
with open(path, 'wb') as dest:
IOError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/Kindle/documents/News/The Irish Times (Friday, December 31, 2010) - calibre.mobi'

can anyone help

p.s. just started using ubuntu a couple of months ago so don't really have a clue what i'm doing)
SpeedBum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBum9 View Post
running calibre with my kindle has been graet, however in the last week when i try and send the papers i like ot the kindle i get the following error message

[Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/media/Kindle/documents/News/The Irish Times (Friday, December 31, 2010) - calibre.mobi'
I don't run Linux but your file system on the Kindle appears to be read only. Folks here have said Linux makes it read only when a error is found while connecting to it.

I'm guessing this may have been caused by removing the Kindle prior to ejecting or unmounting the device. Here are some threads with errors like yours.

In theory running fsck on the attached Kindle's disk area should correct the errors. If the link provided isn't clear enough a linux person will have to clear up how to do this.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Worst case for correcting the error would be to copy all of your books off of the Kindle, reformat and copy them back.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
SpeedBum9
SpeedBum9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (partner has Kindle 3)
i've tried the following if this is of any help!?

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/thr...error-messgaes
SpeedBum9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBum9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Worst case for correcting the error would be to copy all of your books off of the Kindle, reformat and copy them back.
i've tried the following if this is of any help!?

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/thr...error-messgaes
Just do as user_none says and be done with it.

Copy books from your Kindle to another drive.
Format the Kindle
Copy books back to your Kindle or use calibre to send books back to your Kindle.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
ceciliasp
ceciliasp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Hi, mind my ignorance but could you please tell me how to reformat my kindle?
I have the same problem and I would like to fix it!

Thanks
Cecilia
Argentina
ceciliasp is offline   Reply With Quote