Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Coincidence or what?

I am reading a crime novel called "Love has No Alibi" by Octavus Roy Cohen, first published by MacMillan US in January 1945. The hero's name is Kirk Douglas.

Issur Danielovitch Demsky legally changed his name to Kirk Douglas when he joined the Navy in 1941, according to Prof. Wikipedia, but he didn't become known as an actor until 1946.

If they were to re-issue the book today, would they rename the hero?
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've run into a few cases where a significant character in a book has the same name as a celebrity. Coincidence or not, I find it very distracting. But I don't know if that's enough to do a significant edit on a published book.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
I am reading a crime novel called "Love has No Alibi" by Octavus Roy Cohen, first published by MacMillan US in January 1945. The hero's name is Kirk Douglas.

Issur Danielovitch Demsky legally changed his name to Kirk Douglas when he joined the Navy in 1941, according to Prof. Wikipedia, but he didn't become known as an actor until 1946.

More than likely not.
Why should they? Since Douglas is a common last name, I am sure there is more than 1 Kirk.

The other day I ran across a book that had a boy named Trilby. Trilby is either a hat or a book by George Du Maurier in which Trilby is very much a girl.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 01-31-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've read the book by du Maurier. Oddly, the hat style was named after the character Trilby, because in the hugely successful stage run of the story, Trilby wore a trilby...

er...

anyway, you know what I mean. Before Trilby the book, and Trilby the play, there was no trilby hat. The hat style she wore on stage became known as a trilby later.

I don't know why I remember these useless items.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
In a reverse of the situation, there was a popular comics writer/editor named Archie Goodwin, which is also the name of Nero Wolfe's right hand man. In his early days, some comics readers assumed Archie Goodwin was a pen name inspired by the character.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
For those of you old enough to remember him I once saw an interview with Stewart Granger, the actor, probably on Johnny Carson or some show like that. He explained that he first became a successful actor in England under his real name, James Stewart, but when he came to the USA he wasn't able to use that name since it was already taken so he changed it to Stewart Granger.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post

That's nothing. There is another celebrity whose name at birth was Michael Douglas. We know him now as Michael Keaton. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
For those of you old enough to remember him I once saw an interview with Stewart Granger, the actor, probably on Johnny Carson or some show like that. He explained that he first became a successful actor in England under his real name, James Stewart, but when he came to the USA he wasn't able to use that name since it was already taken so he changed it to Stewart Granger.

Barry
My name used to be Brad Pitt. I changed it because I got tired of the disappointment on women's faces :/
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote