Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #4066
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
I'm trying to be good so decided to revisit the classics. Bought "Kidnapped" and its companion "Catriona" and enjoyed them immensely...cost zero and I'm feeling rather smug.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #4067
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
I'm trying to be good so decided to revisit the classics. Bought "Kidnapped" and its companion "Catriona" and enjoyed them immensely...cost zero and I'm feeling rather smug.
I like both immensely. My (very carefully proofed) omnibus version is available at MobileRead. ePub Mobi/Kindle
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #4068
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Purchased more ebooks with Harlequin my rewards coupons and I plan to purchase more. Well, at least I'm not spending any money.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #4069
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
II'm delighted to announce that I haven't bought anything in 2017 so far.
We're a week into the New Year, and I still haven't bought anything (except subscriptions).

I did get and read a freebie (alas, only average).

It all depends on whether a special offer comes up for something on my wishlist. Until it does, I'm intending to keep a clean slate.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #4070
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
We're a week into the New Year, and I still haven't bought anything (except subscriptions).

I did get and read a freebie (alas, only average).

It all depends on whether a special offer comes up for something on my wishlist. Until it does, I'm intending to keep a clean slate.
I haven't bought anything yet, either, and I have the same intention. I did consider the $5 Google coupon and if there had been something on my wishlist for six or seven bucks, I'd probably have used it. Alas, I have expensive tastes, it seems, but they kept me clean.

And, one week into the year and I've reduced my TBR by two! The third book I finished was a PD/audiobook pairing, which doesn't count.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #4071
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
So I am joining the ranks of those who admit they have a book buying problem I am setting a 2017 goal of not spending more than R1 000 (South African Rand - that would be able to buy about 3 new paper books, or about 4 or 5 ebooks). It's not really about the money. I just have so many unread books (more so since getting an ereader) and it is silly to keeping buying lots of new books when so many are waiting to be read. Let's see how I go.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #4072
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Welcome to the thread. It is a hard struggle, but it must be done. If I could get my TBR down to 100 or so, I'd be happy. It's currently ten times that.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #4073
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I foresee two purchases in my future. We have the Google $5 credit plus I received a Kobo 90% off code. What's a guy to do?

At least these will help me maintain my annual $500 budget.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #4074
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Purchased the Star Trek book of the month. I'm still allowed to do that. But no more until next month!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 AM   #4075
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

While updating my calibre database with the date I finished reading books over the past few years*, I found one book that I'd read, but NOT marked as read in calibre!

That means my TBR is actually one book lower than at the start of the year! Excellent!

Of course, if I want this happy situation to continue and improve, I'll have to be good about not buying any more for a while...

*I've finished 2010-2013, only 2014-2016 to go!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #4076
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
While updating my calibre database with the date I finished reading books over the past few years*, I found one book that I'd read, but NOT marked as read in calibre!

That means my TBR is actually one book lower than at the start of the year! Excellent!

*I've finished 2010-2013, only 2014-2016 to go!
It gives me joy to see you so excited over one book. . Congrats on finishing the MUCH older collection. I'll be finishing my 2008-2011 collection of unread/unlistened to books this year. 2012 has a ton of books....that will be daunting. I did buy 2 book/audiobook whispersync combos, but they are quite short. Finished one already (it's on breaking bad habits ). The other is on decluttering which is about 3 hours long and can be done while I'm cleaning tomorrow. Yay!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:10 AM   #4077
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Perhaps I've given the wrong impression. I've entered dates in my calibre database for when I finished the books I read in 2010-2013. But I do still have purchased but unread books from July 2008 and onwards....

I'm going to try to either read or discard all my 2008 unread ebooks this year. But that's not one of my Reading Challenge goals.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #4078
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I got a 90% off coupon from Kobo and I'm pretty sure (make that absolutely sure) I explicitly excepted that from my "no purchases" resolve. So I spent a fair amount of time and thought and settled on an enticing $40 book as the best use for the coupon. Which doesn't work.

Ah, Kobo, helping me keep my resolutions in spite of myself!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:57 AM   #4079
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Good for Kobo!

Ummm... no, bad Kobo!

I'm confused.

But I agree that 90% off coupons should not be resisted (for ebooks on your wishlists).
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #4080
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
But I agree that 90% off coupons should not be resisted (for ebooks on your wishlists).
My problem there is that I've got around 400 ebooks on my wishlists, so that's not much of a limitation...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote