Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is, but it's a "container format" rather than a "data format" is what I meant. Asking whether an eBook Reader will read "PDB" files is rather like asking whether a word processor will read ZIP files; it's the "contents" that determine that, rather than the "wrapper".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #32
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is, but it's a "container format" rather than a "data format" is what I meant. Asking whether an eBook Reader will read "PDB" files is rather like asking whether a word processor will read ZIP files; it's the "contents" that determine that, rather than the "wrapper".
True, strictly speaking, you are correct.

However, a .prc format is a .prc ebook format when one uses it in the context of our forum, but it is also a "container" (Palm resource) format.

I think most here would view a .pdb "format" as an .pdb ebook format which would then need a specific (software) reader/viewer as indicated above by mtravellerh.

Case in point, I only can convert PalmDoc (TEXt/REAd) .pdb ebooks with my Mobi2IMP program, but I do facilitate a conversion from a .pdb format to an .imp format.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #33
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
A 10 MegaPixel camera with a 32 MB card?? They have to be joking!!

Good grief .... oh, that reminds me, I've got dozens of those smaller memory cards I really need to trash or give away ....
Hey RickeyMaveety:

A gift for you. You like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	siggieflower-new.GIF
Views:	359
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	18196  
Old 11-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #34
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
love my little reader

I love my little ebookwise reader! I have had it for a while now, and have not found the format conversion to be much of an issue. I just buy the books I want then convert them over if they are not available in .imp format to start with. I buy alot of books at fictionwise though, so it is possible to get stuff in .imp frequently.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #35
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
So I thought that these devices were no longer being manufactured. Does the 64 meg internal memory model mean that they are building more? Or upgrading existing models?

I keep hoping the either ebookwise or some other manufacturer will start making an e-ink reader with the eb1150's ergonomic shape. Maybe Astak will come through with that after all of the recommendations in that other thread.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #36
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
So I thought that these devices were no longer being manufactured. Does the 64 meg internal memory model mean that they are building more? Or upgrading existing models?
I don't think they are being manufactured anymore. It's just that with the supply of 128 MB SM cards being very limited at the eBookwise site, one can only assume that the 64 MB SM card supply is also dwindling.

This 64 MB internal memory modification appears to be a pre-emptive strike to not allow these readers to be sold with tiny SM cards (I know 'tiny' here is relative, I mean a tiny SD card today is 1 GB )

It just buys them extra time to exhaust their (perhaps huge) stockpile of these devices.

Quote:
I keep hoping the either ebookwise or some other manufacturer will start making an e-ink reader with the eb1150's ergonomic shape. Maybe Astak will come through with that after all of the recommendations in that other thread.
It looks as if their e-ink offering will be able to use the .imp format so all of your existing books should transfer over quite easily.

Now, the million dollar question is, when?!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Luckily for the most popular of them (ereader and Aportis) there are easily available tools to reconvert them to html or txt.
What tools exist to convert DRM free eReader to HTML?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #38
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What tools exist to convert DRM free eReader to HTML?
eReader2HTML does that also, doesn't it?

If it doesn't, why not just run it through BookDesigner and do a Save-As to HTML?

Derek

P.S. I just tried it and it seems to work okay...
Attached Files
File Type: zip SrcAndResult.zip (457.2 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by delphidb96; 11-23-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to add test results.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
eReader2HTML does that also, doesn't it?

If it doesn't, why not just run it through BookDesigner and do a Save-As to HTML?

Derek

P.S. I just tried it and it seems to work okay...
Because Book Designer does not work in all cases. And eReader2HTML will only work with DRMed eReader files.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #40
nrapallo

Jon:

For non-DRM'ed ereader .pdb to .html, you may want to try EBook-Tools by Zed Pobre (member AZed here).

I have installed it and using a very simple script (see below) can convert ereader .pdb to .html (mind you I only tried it on a couple of .pdb's as I normally only use PalmDoc .pdb!)

If you get it installed correctly, you can use this simple Perl script (just copy it and save it to ereader2html.pl):
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env perl
# Usage: ereader2html.pl [ebook.pdb]
use EBook::Tools::EReader;

my $ebook = shift || 'ebook.pdb';
my $pdb = EBook::Tools::EReader->new();
$pdb->Load($ebook);

#print "Loaded '",$pdb->{title},"' by ",$pdb->{author},"\n";

#my $html = $pdb->html;
#my $pml = $pdb->pml;

$pdb->write_html($ebook.'.html');
$pdb->write_unknown_records;
and run it as follows on your ebook.pdb:
Code:
ereader2html.pl ebook.pdb

- or for the windows executable -
ereader2html.exe ebook.pdb
If you want to try it out for yourself, I also provide a compiled .exe in the .zip below. This is crude and could be improved on. This is just to see if it can convert any ereader .pdb file you want to convert.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ereader2html.zip (1.89 MB, 1395 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-17-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added .exe executable
Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #41
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I'm used to having 2GB or 4GB cards in my reader. Ebookwise readers have just too little space for extensive libraries. However they are a good price for a reader in general.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote