Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Attention nook owners, and others. Ereaders, like computers, need back-ups.

Yet Another Reminder That You Don't Own Your Ebooks: B&N Nook Deletes Files, Blames User

This is not another story like the one where Amazon deleted 1984 from the kindle. This is about treating ereaders as paper books where the info in them will not disappear.

The guy is blaming B&N. And while there's a little validity to his rant, it's like crying "I didn't know that I had to back up my computer".

Removing DRM would be the first step. Copying the files off your computer would be the next step. After all, you have to protect against loosing your data and your reader.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well - yeah everybody back-up your files. And then back-up your back-ups.
But he's pissed because he lost his personal files in a crash? Does he honestly think that Barnes and Noble is keeping a back-up of his personal documents? If so, he's an idiot.

Could you imagine that absolute outrage that would rain down on any of these retailers if it was discovered they were grabbing copies of personal documents off of the reading devices and storing them on their servers? That would be a massive invasion of privacy.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
But he's pissed because he lost his personal files in a crash? Does he honestly think that Barnes and Noble is keeping a back-up of his personal documents? If so, he's an idiot.
It wasn't a crash, it was an update being applied. There is a difference between something going wrong, and a known outcome of a proceedure.
If he is pissed because the B&N update intentionally wiped all his files without warning him first, then he has every right to be pissed. Of course we don't have enough info to know if this is really the case, we only have his side of the story.
Or would you be fine if the next Windows update formats your hard drive? You are backing your computer up, right?
(Assuming you are a windows user, insert correction otherwise)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I always have multiple backups of my collection of ebooks: on different drives on my laptop and desktop, on a couple of usb drives and an external drive. It doesn't take any time at all to do it.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The legitimacy to his complaint is in B&N not warning everybody that you have to update frequently. Not having a nook I can only assume that they didn't. Or that he didn't pay attention to the notice.

Has any nook owner been warned of this possibility before?

Does B&N state that you can pickup reading your ebook on your nook, computer, or cell phone? If so he might have thought that they kept track of all the books on his nook. Naive, but possible.

On the other hand, abookreader, is right, the world would come to an end if B&N did that.
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Or would you be fine if the next Windows update formats your hard drive? You are backing your computer up, right?
Experience - mine and others - has taught me to make sure I have back ups of data before I do an upgrade. Unfortunately, not every update goes smoothly for every person, and they can lead to completely borked machines (phones, readers, PCs, servers ( ) etc)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The only things of value on my computer are my bookmarks and folders. So I back those up about twice a week, using a USB thumb drive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
No, he has every right to believe that an update (and the one that he hasn't even initiated - it was BN's system that did so) won't erase everything off his device. There is no reason it should. Do you expect the Windows updates that appear every week or so will erase your whole hard disk? Would you not be pissed off if they did? And that's what his situation amounts to. He had files on his personal device and an outside-initiated update program decided all the files had to be deleted.

In fact, even when there are upgrade programs which require a complete memory erase (this often happens with firmware upgrade), they always give you a warning and advice to back up all your data. This was true with every mobile device I was updating - be it a mp3 player, PDA or a mobile phone. If Nook does not give this warning, then its programmers must have been particularly brainless.

Moreover - many mobile devices have their own backup schemes, usually backing up all your important data automatically every time you connect them to the PC. This is and "old-school" routine (Windows Mobile, Palm OS etc.), while the "new-school" devices (Android etc.) usually offer some form of online backup. If Nook doesn't offer such scheme, this is another reason to suspect the programmers of being brainless...
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Yet Another Reminder That You Don't Own Your Ebooks: B&N Nook Deletes Files, Blames User

This is not another story like the one where Amazon deleted 1984 from the kindle. This is about treating ereaders as paper books where the info in them will not disappear.

The guy is blaming B&N. And while there's a little validity to his rant, it's like crying "I didn't know that I had to back up my computer".

Removing DRM would be the first step. Copying the files off your computer would be the next step. After all, you have to protect against loosing your data and your reader.
Thank you. Well said.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self

Thanks DG.

For what it matters, the early days of Windows were pretty bad as far as updates went. It had gotten so bad that I would wait about a month before doing an update. XP was the first good version. I never had problems from then on.

Correction. I totally skipped Windows Bob and Windows ME.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Thanks DG.

For what it matters, the early days of Windows were pretty bad as far as updates went. It had gotten so bad that I would wait about a month before doing an update. XP was the first good version. I never had problems from then on.

Correction. I totally skipped Windows Bob and Windows ME.
I still have XP on my netbook. Didn't have a choice when i bought the laptop.....XP wasn't an option.

But, to get back OT........I think its our own responsibility to back up our books, and if that means liberating them, so be it.

Seriously, you cannot depend on, or expect anyone else to look out for you.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I believe this story was also posted on the B&N boards and Doug commented that this gentleman's nook was defective from time of purchase. Evidently, there were a few nooks that for reason unknown automatically did a factory reset which brought it back to 1.0 firmware. The nook then automatically updated to 1.4 as programmed.

The data loss occurred when the nook defectively did the reset ... not ... the upgrade.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
This is the reason I strip DRM on all my books. That way if they wipe it, I can just get it back from Calibre or otherwise...and if he bought the books from B&N, wouldn't he be able to just download them again?? But I have a perfectly working nook, so I wouldn't expect to happen to mine anyway.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
SameOldStory
My True Self

Thanks, Fbone.

He was able to get the B&N books back on the nook. But he, apparently had other books and documents that were either inconvenient to retrieve or, more likely, he couldn't remember the names and places of purchase. He should’ve used Calibre.

One of my worries last Christmas, and this Christmas too, was all the companies trying to get anything out the door. I do want a tablet, but may just wait until after the rush.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
After years of lessons learned the hard way - yes I back up every computer in this house. To an external hard drive nightly and then to an online back-up service. And I back up our iPods and iPhones etc etc etc

Updates run wildly bad all the time. That isn't nook specific, it happens to every device that gets firmware updates.

In this case it was an update gone wrong. He could have just as easily lost those documents by a lost/stolen nook or a spilled drink.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote