Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
The Amazing Disappearing Book

I don't know whether this belongs here or in the Calibre forum - Mods, please move to the most appropriate place.

I purchased a copy of David Frum's book, Why Romney Lost. I ran it through Calibre with The Tools, and loaded it on my husband's K4NT. The book is in AZW3 format.

I'm using Calibre 0.9.11 with Windows 7.

You can see the book in the file manager in Windows, and Calibre says it's there, but it doesn't show up in the list of books on the Kindle itself. When I look at the directory on the Kindle, the icon for the book is just blank.

I tried to download the book to the kindle from the Amazon Manage Your Kindle page - again, it shows up when I look at the directory structure, but not on the Kindle ToC page. the only way I could get the book to download and be visible on the Kindle was to go into the Archive from the Kindle itself and re-download.

NB: I just converted the file from AZW3 to mobi with Calibre, and now when I load the book on the kindle, it's visible on the ToC page. The icon for the file in the directory is a blue book.

is there some problem with the Kindle 4 NT and AZW3 files? Does anyone have any suggestions about why I could see 4 versions of the book in the directory view, and yet not see it on the Table of Contents page until I'd converted it to mobi?

thanks - this is frustrating.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Has your husband's kindle been updated to handle the newest format?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hm. I don't know - how does one check to see if there's an update available for a kindle? It's not very old, only about 6 months.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Press the settings button (directly to the right of the 5-way) and look at the bottom of the screen.

Ours says:

Version: Kindle 4.1.0 (1615370055)

We almost always keep the device in airplane mode, so I'm not guaranteeing that's current. But I think it is.

If not in airplane mode, and within WiFi range, and any needed WiFi password is entered in the device, you should get all updates automatically.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a kindle 4NT 2012 with firmware 4.1.0 and I have no problems with Azw3. My books are un drm-ed epubs converted to azw3.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Next time I would try restarting the Kindle and see if it shows up first.
You can always just email the book to the K4 which will turn it to Mobi format.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I don't know whether this belongs here or in the Calibre forum - Mods, please move to the most appropriate place.

I purchased a copy of David Frum's book, Why Romney Lost. I ran it through Calibre with The Tools, and loaded it on my husband's K4NT. The book is in AZW3 format.

I'm using Calibre 0.9.11 with Windows 7.

You can see the book in the file manager in Windows, and Calibre says it's there, but it doesn't show up in the list of books on the Kindle itself. When I look at the directory on the Kindle, the icon for the book is just blank.

I tried to download the book to the kindle from the Amazon Manage Your Kindle page - again, it shows up when I look at the directory structure, but not on the Kindle ToC page. the only way I could get the book to download and be visible on the Kindle was to go into the Archive from the Kindle itself and re-download.

NB: I just converted the file from AZW3 to mobi with Calibre, and now when I load the book on the kindle, it's visible on the ToC page. The icon for the file in the directory is a blue book.

is there some problem with the Kindle 4 NT and AZW3 files? Does anyone have any suggestions about why I could see 4 versions of the book in the directory view, and yet not see it on the Table of Contents page until I'd converted it to mobi?

thanks - this is frustrating.
Perhaps the K4NT doesn't like the .azw3 file name extension. You could try changing it to .azw (just by editing the name) and see if that helps.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I did try to restart it - that was my first guess. Didn't do any good.

Turns out my version is 4.0.1 - I'm updating the software now. There's nothing in the "What's New" description of 4.1 about azw3 files, but we'll see if this works anyway.

ETA: I updated to version 4.1, and another Mysterious Disappearing Book just appeared, so apparently that was the issue.

Thanks, All!

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 01-01-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: new information
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Turns out my version is 4.0.1 - I'm updating the software now. There's nothing in the "What's New" description of 4.1 about azw3 files, but we'll see if this works anyway.

ETA: I updated to version 4.1, and another Mysterious Disappearing Book just appeared, so apparently that was the issue.

Thanks, All!
The whole point of the 4.1 firmware is to add KF8 support. Files with a ".AZW3" extension are KF8.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I didn't see that in the list of "what's new" but that doesn't matter - the upgrade solved the problem. I'll just have to keep more alert to k4NT upgrades. I use the K3 for myself, and I forget about upgrades for my husband and son's K4s.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I didn't see that in the list of "what's new"
I've highlighted it below:

New features in this update include:
  • Improved reading font that is higher contrast and crisper so that you can enjoy a paper-like reading experience.
  • Parental Controls that allow you to restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, Archived Items, and the Kindle Store.
  • Support for books with complex layouts and formats with Kindle Format 8.
  • Support for children's books with Kindle Text Pop-Up and comic books with Kindle Panel View (which allows you to read a comic book panel by panel). Books that support these features will be available in the Kindle store over the next few weeks.
  • Dictionaries grouped into a collection in Home and Archived Items called "Dictionaries" for better organization.
  • Improved table and image viewing (panning and zooming) on supported titles.

Easy to overlook, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I forget that KF8 is AZW3, which doesn't help.