Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 04:29 AM   #1
PandaPuddle
PandaPuddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle gen3
Question Search and Replace not being done

I went so far as to copy and use the very first line in the pdf to replace it with some obvious text, but even that didn't work. I am aware of the way to write these, I wanted to remove the page numbers, "1 | 200" so \d+ \| \d+ was used, and replace was left blank. I have tested multiple formats and opened each one to verify nothing changed, it is really getting on my nerves. Am I missing a "run replace then convert" sort of step? I'm almost certain it should do it while converting it. While I'm asking, will this still work when converting multiple files at once if the page number format is the same for all of them?
PandaPuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure you are running up to date versions of calibre, which autoreplace non-breaking spaces in the PDF with spaces, which is likely what is tripping up your search expression.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
I usually fix these in the editor, but after reading this post I tripped across a similar one yesterday so I tried it in the conversion. (It had "title / #" and "# / author" on alternate pages.) I got exactly the same result...no replacement in the conversion, even though the test found them just fine - using 3.38.1. After conversion, in the editor, I used exactly the same regex strings, and it worked perfectly. There were no non-breaking spaces in the page headers after conversion, although there were a few in the main text. So it looks like there may be still something going on.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:03 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

then open a bug report and attach the file alongwith the search expression used.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
It does work

I went to replicate the problem for a bug report, and had a thought along the way. Instead of just using space characters in the search string, I tried \s+, and it worked beautifully.

Code:
title\s+/\s+\d+
\d+\s+/\s+author
is what was needed.

I noticed in the book text that there were a LOT of extra spaces coming across, sometimes inside words, sometimes between words. So I guess that is in the pdf text layer.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I have been doing conversion tests with several pdf to epub, with Calibre 3.38.1 (64 bit), and I have verified that non-breaking spaces are not replaced to spaces.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah sorry I mi-remembered, it is nto that it replaces non-breaking spaces with spaces, but that it replaces the use of an HTML entity to encode non-breaking spaces, which allows S&R to work
Old 01-29-2019, 12:34 AM   #8
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
OK. S works, but for R to work it's necessary to use \s
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote