Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
Anonym
Anonym began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Android, Linux, NickelOS?, or others?

I recently picked up my Kobo Touch (n905C) after a while and realized how my install on the SD card was quite messy. I wanted to reformat it and replace the Android Nexus mod I installed on it years back, but I'm at a stump for not knowing which would be the best choice for the device. Would using the original firmware on the device suffice for reading? Is there some merit to reinstalling the Android mod? Could I go alternative OSes?

Do note I'm quite light on E-reading, still prefer actual books but I can still use e-books (light novels, manga, and e-book novels/memoirs)
Anonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
The original firmware is just fine for reading, especially if you use the patches.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes, the Kobo native OS is perfectly fine, if you like reading on an ereader at all. If you don't really like reading on an ereader, then it won't matter what you install, as you won't magically fall in love with ereaders just because they now have Android or Linux instead of whatever software they originally had.

Me, I no longer like reading paper books and this has not changed in the last 12 years. But there have been plenty of folks who have returned to paper after using an ereader for a while, and also folks who never warmed to ereading at all. Whatever floats your boat.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:06 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
^^ What Sirtel writes ^^

The current firmware version runs on a N905C touch and even without patches it's pretty good Firmware using a version of Linux. It integrates well with Calibre for metadata, transferring ebooks, exporting reading status, position, bookmarks, highlights and annotations.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

The main limitation is the older eink screen.

An eink screen and the HW isn't much use for anything other than ebooks. I have an ereader with a nice custom Android (and Playstore can be turned on), but read almost everything on a Kobo.

I've had/have other makes too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote