Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #46
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Don't agree with you on the hardware. The Nook hardware is just fine, as far as my experience goes. True, it's not the most suitable for cases, but I don't use a case anyway, so it's a moot point for me.
I don't know if it's the hardware or the software to blame, but I couldn't handle the DOG slow nature of the Glowlight Plus and returned it.

I love the physical design of the hardware though...
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I don't know if it's the hardware or the software to blame, but I couldn't handle the DOG slow nature of the Glowlight Plus and returned it.

I love the physical design of the hardware though...
So you have no ereader at all now?

The reason for the slowness of the Nook is almost certainly the software.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #48
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
So you have no ereader at all now?

The reason for the slowness of the Nook is almost certainly the software.

I'm back to using my Paperwhite from 2014 for now.

I want a newer reader, but I really want something that's got hardware similarities to the Nook GL or GLP, but that isn't gimped with that awful Nook software.

Kindle or Kobo would be fine - but I'm out on Nook's until they show some interest in making that software experience a lot better.

I'd love a Voyage 2 with hardware page turn buttons (if such a thing exists in the pipeline).

I'd also be happy with a Kobo that's similar to a Clara HD (like a touch bigger if possible) but I really really want hardware page turn buttons.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #49
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong. The Kobo Aura has 1024x786 resolution using a Carta screen with a font light and a comfortlight. The firmware is better and the reading software is better. There is nothing about a Kindle Basic that's better then a Kobo Aura.

I have an original Kobo Aura H2O and it is better then any version Kindle Paperwhite.
Oh, how I love it when I say I THINK and someone says I'm wrong. Please, continue with telling me how wrong I am. My feelings will so change on the subject and I suddenly feel that Kobo screens are better than Kindle screens, simply because you tell me so.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #50
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'd sure buy a 5" phone shaped Kindle with a front light.

Barry
How about a 5" E-Ink phone, like the Hisense A5? Shipping any day now, but sadly not due to be available in US/UK at all.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I'd also be happy with a Kobo that's similar to a Clara HD (like a touch bigger if possible)
That would be the Kobo Aura H2O2

Quote:
but I really really want hardware page turn buttons.
And that would be the Kobo Libra H2O.

I haven't heard complaints about lighting on the Aura H2O2 like I have on the Libra. No page turn buttons, but it might be worth a look for you since you returned the Glowlight plus.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Libra has better front light than my original H2O or my PW3. I wonder how many of the lighting complaints are either a small number of examples or people over sensitive to shading / uneven light.
Try taking a camera photo of ANY paperback book under a room light or daylight and the shading is worse than any online photo I've seen of an eink screen!
I usually have to clip the white & black of scans of manual pages done on our professional scanners too. One uses SCSI and the other via LAN.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
My Libra has better front light than my original H2O or my PW3. I wonder how many of the lighting complaints are either a small number of examples or people over sensitive to shading / uneven light.
I assume many. I think my Clara screen is perfect. But I assume if I showed it to some of the more sensitive users they'd see flaws that I don't.

But to each their own.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I assume many. I think my Clara screen is perfect. But I assume if I showed it to some of the more sensitive users they'd see flaws that I don't.
I got my Tolino Shine 3 in today — if the Kobo Clara screen is the same (and I assume it is) than it is a very good screen. I didn't realize how small and thin these were — specs don't always do it justice. No light "leaks" (at least not easily noticeable ones) on the Shine.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #55
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Nook Glowlight 3 has comfortable bezels and was pilloried for it.
You are definitely not wrong. When the current Paperwhite was announced and I was reading comments on websites about it, there are a large group blasting it for it's old fashioned design of having "huge bezels" and that it's now "2019" and blah, blah.

I like bezels myself. I like holding the device one-handed and not have my finger on the screen constantly.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #56
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
A lot of reviews are really fashion statements. I see that in reviews of ereaders and tablets and phones and even laptops. I think reviewers have some ideal in mind and everything that doesn't match it is dinged. That kind of kills variety.

For example if a device has a plastic back it gets dinged for it. But plastic is very often easier to hold on to, more resistant to breaking or warping when dropped, lighter and doesn't feel so cold in my hand when I'm holding it. I prefer plastic backs on most handheld devices. Reviewers think they're cheap.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
For example if a device has a plastic back it gets dinged for it. But plastic is very often easier to hold on to, more resistant to breaking or warping when dropped, lighter and doesn't feel so cold in my hand when I'm holding it. I prefer plastic backs on most handheld devices. Reviewers think they're cheap.
Yep.

Only iPhone I ever liked holding case-less was the iPhone 5c and that one got lambasted for its (quite high-end feeling) plastic chassis. All my other iPhones, I slap on a plastic case.

Of course, on newer phones with wireless charging and they can't use a metal chassis anymore, they decide to use glass instead of plastic.

As for the lack of Voyage, I reckon it didn't sell as well as Amazon would like. Didn't they sell brand new, overstock Voyages discounted on Woot this year (or maybe last)? Yes, Kobo carries readers at the $130, $170 and $250 price points but Amazon probably has a much higher metric for sales success compared to Kobo.

Amazon's probably perfectly fine with the Paperwhite cannibalizing Voyage sales with a few going to the more premium Oasis. Doubt they're overly concerned with Kobo, et. al. taking away sales. Like it or not but the US ereader market is dominated by Amazon. I doubt majority of Kindle users are even aware that the Nook and Kobo exist much less the smaller brands.

Granted, reckon I would've enjoyed a plastic version of the Oasis as a counterpoint to the Libra H2O.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with the Voyage is that most Kindle PW owners did not see that the Voyage was worth the price difference and bought the cheaper PW. If Amazon was to bring out a new Voyage, they would have to make the price about the same as the current PW and in that case, may as well dump the PW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the Voyage is that most Kindle PW owners did not see that the Voyage was worth the price difference and bought the cheaper PW. If Amazon was to bring out a new Voyage, they would have to make the price about the same as the current PW and in that case, may as well dump the PW.
I think there would a slot for it in the $180 range (like the Kobo Libra). I don't know if Amazon would want to sell it at that price, but I think customers would buy it at that price.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:01 AM   #60
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think there would a slot for it in the $180 range (like the Kobo Libra). I don't know if Amazon would want to sell it at that price, but I think customers would buy it at that price.
The Libra (and Aura HD, H2O, H2O2) were ~7" class, though. That makes them clearly distinct from the low to mid-range 6" readers.

I also think a 7" Kindle Voyage at $180 would sell pretty well. I reckon Amazon's dilemma might be $180 7" Voyage sales cannibalizing 7" Oasis sales. Of course, they could always switch to a 6-7-8 line-up similar to Kobo.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote