Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #31
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That would get me to buy a Kindle. I thought the Voyage was a very pretty reader. The nicest of the Kindles, anyway.

I do have a soft spot for the original Oasis as well, and think it looks nice in its custom case.

Were the Voyage buttons good for you?

I seem to read some mixed opinions on the experience of using the haptic buttons and/or the reliability of them?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Now here in Italy in Kobo site You could buy only Clara, Forma and Libra: no more Aura H2O Edition 2 and Aura Edition 2. I don't know if they will be dismissed or it is only a temporary situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo has an entry level Reader that blows away the Kindle Basic.

At Walmart, you can get Kobo Aura (Exclusive Walmart eBooks Edition) - 6" Carta E Ink touchscreen, customizable ComfortLight, Wi-Fi enabled for $69.96 (not including sales tax depending where you live).
Quote:
Did you read where I put that Kobo has the Aura that is a Kindle Basic killer? Higher resolution, comfortlight. and ePub.
But ps67 lives in Italy (so the Walmart option is out). Apparently (at this time) the Aura Edition 2 is not available there at any price.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But ps67 lives in Italy (so the Walmart option is out). Apparently (at this time) the Aura Edition 2 is not available there at any price.
Actually, you can buy from Walmart and have it send to a forwarding service. So it is available at a price.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The Voyage was a compromise as well. The bezel with the buttons wasn't wide enough. Maybe you liked it, but I didn't like how careful you have to be how to put your thumb on the button to avoid touching the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
This is something I struggle with when I'm holding my Voyage. I can hardly grip the side or I'm pressing the button. So it falls out of my hands a lot (on the couch or on the bed, so no damage, but it's still annoying).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Yep. It takes practice, and I still get unwanted screen touches. What do they have against bezels that are a full thumb wide?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post

I seem to read some mixed opinions on the experience of using the haptic buttons and/or the reliability of them?
I can't say that I have a lot of experience with my Voyage, but I agree that the bezels were a bit small for holding comfortably when not using a cover. I got a nice (and inexpensive) leather-like cover for my Voyage and now it's very comfortable to hold and use the buttons. I like the haptic buttons a lot — haven't had any issue at all with them (they're set to "softest" touch). I realize every one is different, but if I had my "rathers," I would like to see a new Voyage just like the old one (with the same high quality screen), but with a "comfort" light ("comfort" in quotes because everyone calls them something different and I'm not sure what Kindle's term is). Others would like to see water-proofing but that's not necessarily a high priority for me.

I've attached a link to my Voyage cover (just in case someone is looking for one). The only color available is purple. (Should mention, since it's not stated in the ad, this cover does automatically turn the Voyage off and on when opening and closing the cover.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kindle-Voya...53.m2749.l2649

Last edited by rcentros; 11-12-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Actually, you can buy from Walmart and have it send to a forwarding service. So it is available at a price.
But is that cheap and/or cheaper than buying a Clara locally?
Advert
Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

They're reliable, in my experience. But I don't like them as much as I do physical buttons. Then again, there are members here who like them better. As always, everyone's got a different opinion.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Most nooks are a right mess in the design of the hardware and thre software is just rubbish at best.
Don't agree with you on the hardware. The Nook hardware is just fine, as far as my experience goes. True, it's not the most suitable for cases, but I don't use a case anyway, so it's a moot point for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's because the bezel of the nook Glowlight 3 is an awful mess. It's too wide and that hakes the case for it wider then it should be. Most nooks are a right mess in the design of the hardware and thre software is just rubbish at best.
To quote my friend JSWolf:

Quote:
Sorry, but you are wrong.
Say what you want about Nook software. It deserves some of it. But the hardware of the Nooks are generally nicer than what the competition offers at the same price.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I don't own a Voyage. I've never owned a Kindle, just used relatives and they all stick with the Paperwhite.

The Voyage almost tempted me to buy one, but at the time it was too expensive and now that I can buy used ones cheap, it's just no longer worth it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-12-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But is that cheap and/or cheaper than buying a Clara locally?
I cannot say I have have no experience with redirecting services.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:53 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
To quote my friend JSWolf:

Say what you want about Nook software. It deserves some of it. But the hardware of the Nooks are generally nicer than what the competition offers at the same price.
I'm only talking about the nook ST style of cheap feeling rubberized overly large bezel.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'm only talking about the nook ST style of cheap feeling rubberized overly large bezel.
I like the large bezel and I liked (past tense) the rubberized body of the Nook ST until it developed tacky "rubber rot." But I'm guessing the rubberized Kobo Touch will do the same... eventually. (Hope not, but it seems to be the same stuff.)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #43
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:

I loved the buttons on the Voyage. They worked great and I didn't have to worry about dust getting around them. The flush screen was beautiful and easy to keep clean.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #44
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
The nook was criticized for bezel size? I Love the nook hardware and praise it often. It is the nook ecosystem I dont like anymore.

The Voyage haptic buttons? I like them. You can adjust the pressure setting to your grip. I bought a sleeve for my Voyage, I suppose a case would give me a few millimeters more of useful edge. I should try it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I don't think so:

Quote:
That's because the bezel of the nook Glowlight 3 is an awful mess. It's too wide and that hakes the case for it wider then it should be. Most nooks are a right mess in the design of the hardware...
Though I appreciate the back-pedaling now.