Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #706
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
So even if I specifically put "widows:0" and "orphans:0" in the CSS it will be ignored?
Yes. The 5.12.2 Kindle firmware prevents widows/orphans with no way to enable them.

I expect that the widows and orphans properties in CSS will be obeyed properly in the next Kindle firmware release. The Kindle for iOS, Android, and Fire apps all handle them as expected in their latest releases.

Also, as theducks wrote, the correct value should be "1" to allow widows/orphans. In my testing using "0" also works the same for Amazon/KFX creation, but I would not rely on that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #707
user105
user105 began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2, pw2, sony prs 505
I'm getting epub to kfx:
calibre, version 4.3.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Das dunkle Herz des Waldes</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00813: Unknown failure occurred during processing</p>

epub to mobi to kfx works

any tipps?

Last edited by user105; 11-21-2019 at 07:33 PM.
user105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #708
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user105 View Post
I'm getting epub to kfx:
calibre, version 4.3.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Das dunkle Herz des Waldes</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00813: Unknown failure occurred during processing</p>

epub to mobi to kfx works

any tipps?
Since converting to MOBI first prevents the problem it is likely due to some formatting that the Kindle Previewer does not handle properly. Much formatting is removed in that process since MOBI is limited compared with EPUB.

Since the error message is so unhelpful I suggest either skipping KFX for that book or using the version that works via MOBI.

You might be able to track down the cause of the problem by trial and error. Selectively deleting parts of the book using the Calibre editor to try to narrow down the source of the error. It may not be worth the effort involved.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #709
user105
user105 began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2, pw2, sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You might be able to track down the cause of the problem by trial and error. Selectively deleting parts of the book using the Calibre editor to try to narrow down the source of the error. It may not be worth the effort involved.
would that be helpfull to you for improving the output-plug in, or is this a pure previewer problem?

thank you for the effort!
user105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #710
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by user105 View Post
would that be helpfull to you for improving the output-plug in, or is this a pure previewer problem?
The error is produced by the Kindle Previewer. Knowing what triggers it might be useful to someone else who encounters the same problem, but it is unlikely to lead to any changes in this plugin.
Advert
Old 12-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #711
VovoKrall
VovoKrall began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader (Moto G)
I couldn't convert to KFX because it was missing a file - a gif, which doesn't make any sense for a book - but I could convert to azw3. Do you know why?

calibre, version 4.5.0
ERRO: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00001: Cannot find the file name C:\Users\adria\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_nw0p2q\k c_hqh\eqlf2lcxklyjin3uni4w\0000\conv_resources\con v_tmp\temp\extractedEpub\OEBPS\styles\images\00004 .gif</p>
VovoKrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #712
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VovoKrall View Post
I couldn't convert to KFX because it was missing a file - a gif, which doesn't make any sense for a book - but I could convert to azw3. Do you know why?
Conversion to KFX is designed by Amazon to fail if the source file contains incorrect or missing content. Conversion to KF8 (azw3) will succeed for just about any book regardless of errors. That's just the way it is.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #713
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.35.0 - 07 Dec 2019

Support additional KFX features. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $46, $784")

Prevent incorrect date from being used if the publication date of a book to be converted is undefined.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #714
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
CalibreDB and KFX output PI seems to take a long time

I'm using calibredb to extract (copy?) the KFX books to a new single folder:

export --progress --all --dont-save-cover --dont-write-opf --format kfx --single-dir --template "{authors}-{series}{series_index:0>2s|[|]-}{title}" --to-dir "D:\eBooks\KFX"

It seems like there's a lot more happening than just the copy and it seems like that if it's embedding the metadata, it takes a lot longer than for the same for an ePub.

Is that just a 'side effect' of the plugin or something else?
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #715
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
It seems like there's a lot more happening than just the copy and it seems like that if it's embedding the metadata, it takes a lot longer than for the same for an ePub.

Is that just a 'side effect' of the plugin or something else?
Updating metadata in KFX files is fairly slow. Add the --dont-update-metadata option to speed things up. From the manual:

Quote:
Normally, calibre will update the metadata in the saved files from what is in the calibre library. Makes saving to disk slower. Specifying this switch will turn this behavior off.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #716
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks, but unfortunately I think I do need the metadata updated

I was just wondering since it seems that the KFX part of the calibredb job takes longer than the epub part
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	175472  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #717
Silverbacknet
Silverbacknet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10
I can't find a repo or any way to make a pull request, so I'll just post here. This is a small fix for when Kindle Previewer is installed in a different folder.

Code:
--- calibre\plugins\KFX Output_old\kfxlib\generate_kpf.py
+++ calibre\plugins\KFX Output\kfxlib\generate_kpf.py
@@ -464,7 +464,13 @@
         }

def __init__(self):
-        self.program_path = os.path.join(windows_user_dir(local_appdata=True), "Amazon", "Kindle Previewer 3")
+        from _winreg import *
+        default_path = os.path.join(windows_user_dir(local_appdata=True), "Amazon", "Kindle Previewer 3")
+        try:
+            reg_key = OpenKey(ConnectRegistry(None, HKEY_CURRENT_USER),r'Software\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3')
+            self.program_path = QueryValueEx(reg_key,None)[0]
+        except (OSError, WindowsError) as e:
+            self.program_path = default_path
         KindlePreviewer.__init__(self)

def prepare_java_app_args(self):
Moderator Notice
I suspect this is best placed in the KFX Output plugin thread. I only copied the post here in case I'm wrong.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-15-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Silverbacknet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #718
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I suspect this is best placed in the KFX Output plugin thread. I only copied the post here in case I'm wrong.
Yes, this applies to the KFX Output plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbacknet View Post
I can't find a repo or any way to make a pull request, so I'll just post here. This is a small fix for when Kindle Previewer is installed in a different folder.
Having the plugin automatically detect alternate installation locations for the Kindle Previewer would be useful. I will take a look at this and add it or something similar to the plugin when I have some free time. Thanks for the code contribution.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:58 AM   #719
Silverbacknet
Silverbacknet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10
For some reason I hadn't found this thread in search, oops. Thanks for taking care of it!

FWIW, the "OSError" isn't used in Py2, only WindowsError, it's to future-proof for Py3 (in which 2to3 would change _winreg to winreg automatically, the only other Py3 compatibility concern).
Silverbacknet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #720
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Error using latest plugin and Calibre 4.6:

Code:
calibre, version 4.6.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert <book name></b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle Previewer error: Error:E00015: Unsupported tag or style was found. Tag: (), HTML Attribute: (), CSS Style: (-webkit-box-shadow=rgb(170, 170, 170) 0px 0px 5px inset).</p>
Happens on multiple input epubs
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine