Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #31
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
$37.50?
The Amazon ones I see in the pharmacies are pre-marked for $25, $50, etc.

The single use and rechargeable credit cards, though, come both ways. You fill the arbitrary ones at the cashier.
I used Gift cards to buy my Amazon Phones Put the EXACT amount on the card!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I used Gift cards to buy my Amazon Phones Put the EXACT amount on the card!
Where?
Just curious.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #33
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any where they sell Gift cards.... just look for the one $0 -$500 You can put what you want on them. I get mine at Walgreens or CVS
Old 09-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #34
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't use much cash myself these days, but I have no issue with those who prefer it. It IS still perfectly legal tender, after all. As such, I think physical businesses should be legally required to accept it. And I think there should be multiple, simple ways for people who prefer cash to be able to fund online accounts with it (with no credit/debit card required to open accounts).

When cash isn't legal tender any more; then, and only then, should we poo-poo the notion that people might still want to pay for stuff with it.

I agree with you
Gardenman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #35
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
On the other hand, some stores no longer accept cash. It can be pretty tough getting by in some areas without a credit card.
I think it's all part of the surveillance economy; if you pay with cash the store can't track you and your purchases. Today there is huge retail interest in facial recognition technology combined with smart phone tracking inside stores so the stores can tap into the "big data" bonanza. These companies have seen how much profit Google, Facebook and others make from advertising and they all want a piece of it. I have read claims that some auto dealers make more profit selling financial information from loan applications than they do from selling cars.

Wally
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #36
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Sad thing is You Can Not use Cash over the internet. Too bad Amazon wont use part for its Wear houses for B&M stores.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #37
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I am surprised to hear that Western Union is still in existence. I would have thought they went the way of pay phones and leaded gasoline long ago.
Western Union dropped out of the telegram business in 2006.
They remain very active in the money-transfer business.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #38
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
After reading about Western Union, I did a Google search to see where the nearest one is to me. It's allegedly inside my local grocery store, one mile from my house. I've never seen it. Maybe it's part of the Customer Service Desk, manned by grocery store employees?
Your local grocery store customer service desk probably handles a number of things you didn't know about:
  • US postage stamps, if not sold by the checkout cashiers;
  • USPS agent --- outgoing only;
  • FedEx agent --- outgoing only;
  • UPS agent --- outgoing only;
  • MoneyGram agent;
  • Western Union agent;
  • Event ticket agent. (TicketMaster, or a local competitor.);
  • State lottery agent --- sales and payouts below a specific dollar amount;
  • FTD agent --- usually upscale stores;
  • Third party check cashing --- usually in low-income areas;
Not every store offers all of those services. I've forgotten what other services are commonly offered.

I'm starting to see voter registration forms at the customer service desk.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote