Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #826
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Remembered to check today, and it went very quickly. The book's not compatible with the Paperwhite, and can't even be downloaded. The Kindle app on my phone lets me download and view it, but it forces landscape mode and displays two pages side-by-side. Not exactly an optimal reading experience, although the images looked great, only small. Kindle for PC also did the side-by-side thing, but it worked fine full-screened. It was quite funny and I'm glad I picked it, even if it is really short.

Any tablet using the Kindle app can probably view it and it'll look fine, but I'm guessing all the e-ink Kindles are out of luck.
Thanks -- good summary.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #827
DrD123
Enthusiast
DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.DrD123 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I ended up going with It's Not Hansel and Gretel, simply because the preview looks pretty funny. The rest sounded too awful to me to want even for free.
I think I am in the same boat...
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #828
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Worst choices for a long while. I picked "Where the Forest meets the Stars", as the least unappealing of the book descriptions.

As I feared, it was almost sickly sweet at times. However, somewhat to my surprise, I enjoyed it. The characters were well drawn and it was quite well written. Between the plot itself and the devices used it kept my interest.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #829
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A, iPad (1st gen)
I also went with Where the Forest Meets the Stars.

This is probably not the right place, but I'm thinking about cancelling my Amazon Prime subscription. Back when it was less than $100/year, I was using it enough on my own (between the music storage, cloud storage, Kindle access, video bookmarks, etc.) to justify having two accounts in the same house, but now that it costs me nearly $130 (and finding that other music/cloud/ebook/video providers are more worthwhile for me), I don't think I'm getting my money's worth and I'm going to go back to sharing my husband's account.

Once I do that, I won't be eligible for the Kindle First book anymore, correct? He can get it, and share it with me, but I won't be able to access it on my own? Honestly, I can buy myself one book every month (a month later) for half the cost of Amazon Prime -- probably less if I opt out of months that I would otherwise choose "least objectionable and willing to try out this genre/author" -- so it's not a big deal, but somehow it feels more valuable when it's early and free. LOL

Last edited by sakura-panda; 02-12-2019 at 09:26 AM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #830
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Worst choices for a long while. I picked "Where the Forest meets the Stars", as the least unappealing of the book descriptions.

As I feared, it was almost sickly sweet at times. However, somewhat to my surprise, I enjoyed it. The characters were well drawn and it was quite well written. Between the plot itself and the devices used it kept my interest.
Went there as well after reading your post and ignoring the very unassuming blurb. I think this months they picked books with horrible uninviting blurbs, at least how I feel. The only thing I did not like was the end.
Spoiler:
I wish it stayed closer to impossible fiction than to transition into plausible non fiction.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #831
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Went there as well after reading your post and ignoring the very unassuming blurb. I think this months they picked books with horrible uninviting blurbs, at least how I feel. The only thing I did not like was the end.
Spoiler:
I wish it stayed closer to impossible fiction than to transition into plausible non fiction.
I hear you there Duckie.

Had the book gone the other way, imagine the chill when:

Spoiler:
The two adult protagonists, having failed to find the girl as a missing person, instead came across an article describing her death, with photo!

I'm certainly not sorry I read it. And the author shows promise. I'll have to watch for her next book. Though she can certainly go either way.

I should add that your comment about the blurbs is spot on. A good one is just so important to many prospective readers.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #832
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I also went with Where the Forest Meets the Stars.

This is probably not the right place, but I'm thinking about cancelling my Amazon Prime subscription. Back when it was less than $100/year, I was using it enough on my own (between the music storage, cloud storage, Kindle access, video bookmarks, etc.) to justify having two accounts in the same house, but now that it costs me nearly $130 (and finding that other music/cloud/ebook/video providers are more worthwhile for me), I don't think I'm getting my money's worth and I'm going to go back to sharing my husband's account.

Once I do that, I won't be eligible for the Kindle First book anymore, correct? He can get it, and share it with me, but I won't be able to access it on my own? Honestly, I can buy myself one book every month (a month later) for half the cost of Amazon Prime -- probably less if I opt out of months that I would otherwise choose "least objectionable and willing to try out this genre/author" -- so it's not a big deal, but somehow it feels more valuable when it's early and free. LOL
I believe that Prime allows you to share benefits, including streaming, with one other adult in your house. I think it also creates a shared household for all your books. I don't know exactly how it works.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 AM   #833
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I should add that your comment about the blurbs is spot on. A good one is just so important to many prospective readers.
Yup. Case in point: last month's Blood for Blood sounded good blurb wise, but it is the first First Reads book I started and gave up on after just 10%. Good thing we had two choices, as Smoke and Summons was very enjoyable (to me). A blurb sometimes does make the book sound too good.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 AM   #834
binaryhermit
Addict
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, Kindle Keyboard with 3g
And I think they let you pay $2 for one first book, can't remember if when I did this I got it immediately.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote