Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #796
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
If you missed it before, the FCA's Athlete's Bible: Strong Edition is free again, probably just for a day. It's the NLT with study notes and some sports devotional material.

B&N
Kobo
Google Play
Amazon

This edition has a formatting glitch that's either irritating or amusing, depending on my mood: every chapter is numbered "1".
Also free in Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Athletes-Bi...dp/B07DB12PCF/

A A.com review says

The NLT Version is fine, the Bible is fine, and all the extra stuff for students is fine. The problem is the navigation in the Kindle version is horrible. You can go to the Old Testament and the New Testament, and that's it. You can't click on any particular book, on any chapter. Nothing. Just the Old Testament title page and the New Testament title page. Until this is fixed, this Bible is useless in Kindle format.

Comments?

Last edited by Little.Egret; 01-29-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #797
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Also free in Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Athletes-Bi...dp/B07DB12PCF/

A A.com review says

The NLT Version is fine, the Bible is fine, and all the extra stuff for students is fine. The problem is the navigation in the Kindle version is horrible. You can go to the Old Testament and the New Testament, and that's it. You can't click on any particular book, on any chapter. Nothing. Just the Old Testament title page and the New Testament title page. Until this is fixed, this Bible is useless in Kindle format.

Comments?
I haven't downloaded it from Amazon and it's no longer free, but I suspect that it's a straight kindlegen conversion from the EPUB3 file and unsupported features are just ignored. Broadman & Holman seems to have embraced EPUB3 as a format even beyond what's currently supported by most ereaders and software. The only software that I've found to render the epubs exactly correctly is Calibre's built-in reader.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 AM   #798
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Great Source for a Free "Book of the Month," along with some Other Great Deals.

If this has been posted before, I have plum (Southern for "completely") forgotten about it. And I also have personally forgotten about it, missing out on some great deals.

Among the ebook perks that the advent of a new month brings, is a _freebie_ from FaithLife (or maybe it's "FaithLifeBooks." Whatever), the behemoth publisher of books aimed at Christians. They also have a new handful of reduced-in-price ebooks each month--some at great prices; others, well, not so much.

Follow this link to find out about all of the goodies. February's specials have already been put out. ebooks.faithlife.com.

(Sorry for the poor formatting--my real computer has some problems--I've been trying to get it to the shop. Trying to use this cellphone for word processing is tortuous--I do believe that Torqumada (sp?) must have forced his victims to use them during the Spanish(sp?) Inquisition. ha).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-31-2019 at 12:33 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #799
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
Not only Southern; PA person here knows about "plum something" too. And yes, posting anything on a phone or even ipad is more torturous than with a real keypad!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #800
Alastair_S
Connoisseur
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Over here in Blighty it's "plumb", we use "plum" to mean desirable as in "a plum job," etc.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #801
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

_Mea culpa_.

The FaithLife book of the month is for _January_, not February. I assume that there will be another _freebie_ of the month to come along soon.

So, when I posted the _free_ FaithLife book, I was _early_, not late, you might say. I'm more perfect than I even thought that I was.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-01-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #802
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
If this has been posted before, I have plum (Southern for "completely") forgotten about it. And I also have personally forgotten about it, missing out on some great deals.

Among the ebook perks that the advent of a new month brings, is a _freebie_ from FaithLife (or maybe it's "FaithLifeBooks." Whatever), the behemoth publisher of books aimed at Christians. They also have a new handful of reduced-in-price ebooks each month--some at great prices; others, well, not so much.

Follow this link to find out about all of the goodies. February's specials have already been put out. ebooks.faithlife.com.

(Sorry for the poor formatting--my real computer has some problems--I've been trying to get it to the shop. Trying to use this cellphone for word processing is tortuous--I do believe that Torqumada (sp?) must have forced his victims to use them during the Spanish(?) Inquisition. ha).
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Not only Southern; PA person here knows about "plum something" too. And yes, posting anything on a phone or even ipad is more torturous than with a real keypad!
Beyond the denotation of "completely, "plum," in Southernese, has an ever-so-slight connotation--a subtlety in meaning--that I can't quite express.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-01-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #803
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
Over here in Blighty it's "plumb", we use "plum" to mean desirable as in "a plum job," etc.
And mea culpa here --- it is indeed "plumb" that I use. As in, straight as a plumb line. Or perhaps, as exact as a plumb line (plumb full).
Old 02-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #804
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
I've heard the word used in that way in the South, also.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #805
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Like most words in English, at least, (almost) every word has different meanings.

Until badgoodDeb mentioned it, I had forgotten about "plumb" (note the difference in spelling, however) in the way that she used it. A "plumb Bob" is an indispensable carpenter's tool.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-01-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 AM   #806
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Vindicating the Vixens: Revisiting Sexualized, Vilified, and Marginalized Women....

I vet many ebooks of interest to Christians. I've come to this conclusion: the books on a particular theme or topic rarely say anything new. The words are different, the illustrations change (for the most part), the publishers are different; but basically there's nothing new.

This book appears to be one of the rare exceptions to that "rule:" Vindicating the Vixens: Revisiting Sexualized, Vilified, and Marginalized Women of the Bible.

Let me say, before I go any further, that at least part of this book appears to me to be a response to the views expressed in Liz Curtis Higgins' trilogy of bestsellers Bad Girls of the Bible, Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible, and Really Bad Girls of the Bible. I have not read this book; I am basing that view on other information.

Here's the "official" description (from Amazon):
Gain a greater understanding of gender in the Bible through the eyes of a diverse group of evangelical scholars who assert that Christians have missed the point of some scriptural stories by assuming the women in them were "bad girls."

Did the Samaritan woman really divorce five husbands in a world where women rarely divorced even one? Did Bathsheba seduce King David by bathing in the nude? Was Mary Magdalene really a reformed prostitute?

While many have written studies of the women in the Bible, this is a new kind of book--one in which an international team of male and female scholars look afresh at vilified and neglected women in the Bible. The result is a new glimpse into God's heart for anyone, male or female, who has limited social power.

Sandra Glahn is the "Author, Editor." The book has 304 pages. The book is rated 4.6 stars, from 33 reviews, at Amazon.

This book is currently only $2.99 (paper-based book price: $22.99). That price is good through today, February 5. Why am I just now telling you about the book? First of all, the sale started only yesterday. Secondly, I just found the book late yesterday.

Grab this book, at a very good price while you can. Here's a link to it.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-05-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #807
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This seems to be something like a Great Courses download. Credo Courses is offering The Resurrection of Jesus. 30 sessions. Normally $99 but available at no charge. Add to cart and go to your cart. You will be required to make an account during the checkout process. No credit card information was required.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #808
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
This seems to be something like a Great Courses download. Credo Courses is offering The Resurrection of Jesus. 30 sessions. Normally $99 but available at no charge. Add to cart and go to your cart. You will be required to make an account during the checkout process. No credit card information was required.
That's awesome! I'll also point out that the course you linked is by Gary Habermas.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #809
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Vindicating the Vixens: Revisiting Sexualized, Vilified, and Marginalized Women of the Bible.

Grab this book, at a very good price while you can. Here's a link to it.
Thanks -- looks worthwhile. I grabbed it.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #810
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

The Bible Knowledge Commentary: Law by John F. Walvoord and Roy B. Zuck is free from David C. Cook. "Law" refers to the Pentateuch.

B&N
Kobo
Google Play
Amazon