Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
You need to keep in mind that they definitely know everything about your sideloaded books because they analyse the metadata. However, they don't really care if you pirated the books, the reasons are already listed above.
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by db105 View Post
After all, it didn't kill sales when Amazon deleted books purchased from them from users' Kindle devices: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/t.../18amazon.html
I remember that.
I know of at least 3 sales it killed forever.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #18
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It would be very bad publicity, but it's surprising the amount of abuses customers will put up with in the name of convenience. After all, it didn't kill sales when Amazon deleted books purchased from them from users' Kindle devices: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/t.../18amazon.html
In fairness, it revolved around a legal issue that was poorly handled. The provider of the books did not have distribution rights, so Amazon had to terminate sales. However, there should have been both notice and a better resolution for customers than just deleting it from their devices.

Supposedly, they learned from this and created new processes to deal with similar future situations. I do not believe that there has been a similar complaint since.

Last edited by BiliBug; 11-29-2020 at 12:28 PM.
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #19
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
They probably could, but they probably won't.

Might require a ToS change, but that's not really much of a hurdle.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
You need to keep in mind that they definitely know everything about your sideloaded books because they analyse the metadata. However, they don't really care if you pirated the books, the reasons are already listed above.
Really? How do they do that since I never turn my wifi on on my oasis?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #21
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
Supposedly, they learned from this and created new processes to deal with similar future situations. I do not believe that there has been a similar complaint since.
I remember it happening twice, less than 2 years apart. But I don't recall it happening since. Once with apologies and fixes for the customer (that didn't happen) is oops. Twice and I cross them off my list permanently. It doesn't help that they promised both times that it would never happen again.

They should have fixed it by pulling money from the illegal vendor and then purchasing rights from the correct vendor, all behind the scenes without affecting the customer. Instead, they reached out into people's devices and deleted books (and the accompanying user written notes) and never replaced them. Not something I want to own.

If they had deleted books from people's accounts but left them on the devices, I'd forgive them.

Last edited by compurandom; 11-29-2020 at 03:06 PM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #22
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
I have heaps of archived fanfiction and it's only recently dawned on me the fact I can shove it into my kindle and read it anywhere. Some amount of it is invariably too edgy for the kindle store, but I don't want to have to dig through every fic before I upload it to my kindle for reading.

Do I need to worry about this or is it fine?
Amazon doesn't care. They are about selling content, not determining if the content on your device was bought from Amazon.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It would be very bad publicity, but it's surprising the amount of abuses customers will put up with in the name of convenience. After all, it didn't kill sales when Amazon deleted books purchased from them from users' Kindle devices: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/t.../18amazon.html
Why do people keep using this example. As one of the people who was directly affected by the 1984 cut, they explained in the email that the uploader didn't own the copyright so didn't have the right to upload it. I have the email still somewhere. I got my money back right away. Of course, you can avoid that today by downloading and Alfing your books in Calibre.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote