Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
lburg801
Enthusiast
lburg801 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Help! Editor has stopped opening

I upgraded from win7 to win10 and because many of my ancient programs stopped working, reverted to win7. Before this, however, I had upgraded Calibre and so had to unistall it and install the 3.48 version. While editing a book, changes were slow to update and saving the file took a great deal of time. I exited the editor and calibre and restarted calibre. The editor would not open. I have since done an uninstall, reboot, install and even tried older versions, but am still unable to get the editor to work.

I am guessing there is something that is not erased in the uninstall that persists, but what?

Last edited by lburg801; 12-04-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: 2nd edit: Unrelated to the editor problem, but I did have to rebuild the databases after downgrading.
lburg801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Does the Editor show that it is running (taskbar or Task Manager)?
It may be lost OFF Screen.
Alt-Space M <arrow keys. Try left first>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
I upgraded from win7 to win10 and because many of my ancient programs stopped working, reverted to win7. Before this, however, I had upgraded Calibre and so had to unistall it and install the 3.48 version. While editing a book, changes were slow to update and saving the file took a great deal of time. I exited the editor and calibre and restarted calibre. The editor would not open. I have since done an uninstall, reboot, install and even tried older versions, but am still unable to get the editor to work.

I am guessing there is something that is not erased in the uninstall that persists, but what?
I didn't have any of the programs I used under Windows 7 stop working when I upgraded to Windows 10. I did have to upgrade some, but they worked. Did you check if those old programs had updates available? As for Calibre, you really do want Windows 10 even if it means some of your programs will no longer work because you will find more and more programs won't work under Windows 10 or you cannot get the newest versions. Windows 7 is not worth the hassle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
lburg801
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't have any of the programs I used under Windows 7 stop working when I upgraded to Windows 10. I did have to upgrade some, but they worked. Did you check if those old programs had updates available? As for Calibre, you really do want Windows 10 even if it means some of your programs will no longer work because you will find more and more programs won't work under Windows 10 or you cannot get the newest versions. Windows 7 is not worth the hassle.
I have software that is no longer made ... upgrades are not an option. It is a frustration. If I could, I would get a second computer for everyday use and just keep the antiquated programs on the laptop I have. Ah, well, I'll keep limping along for now.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
lburg801
Enthusiast

The editor window eventually opened ... I don't know how long it took. I discovered it after posting this request for help.

I don't know if the problem was caused by downgrading to the older calibre ver, but another problem was definitely related ... I could not remove books from the library. The fix was via LibraryMaintenance/RestoreDatabase.

Thanks to all who responded!