Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
pjcinoz
pjcinoz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Move to new Mac having trouble

Folks,

I found the user manual page for moving the calibre library to another computer, also a Mac. I followed the instructions, had a couple false starts and redid steps. At conclusion, it appears to have imported the two libraries into the destination folder but when I open the app it verifies, icon bounces a couple times, and then quietly exits. I am stumped.

I spent several days on one Mac repairing entries and once completed decided to move it all to the Mac that shares with the household. I used the export routine to a clean folder, copied that to the new Mac. Reinstalled calibre and went thru the Welcome routine. The destination folder was not empty so I deleted the items there and also went into Terminal to delete the '.DS_Store' file there to make it truly empty. I then used the import routine and it appeared all went well.

As I mentioned, calibre appears to attempt a launch but then quietly quits. Any ideas? Is there something that I am missing?
pjcinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open Terminal.app in it type

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g

and post whatever output appears.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
pjcinoz

debug content

Last login: Sun Nov 29 21:25:32 on ttys000
corrp@Library-Mac-mini ~ % /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g
calibre 5.6 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
macOS-10.15.7-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '19.6.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 19.6.0: Thu Oct 29 22:56:45 PDT 2020; root:xnu-6153.141.2.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 3.8.5
OSX: ('10.15.7', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: None
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 72.0 x 72.0
physicalDpi: 82.00000123151645 x 82.00000123151646
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.03] Showing splash screen...
[0.55] splash screen shown
[0.57] Initializing db...
[0.62] db initialized
[0.62] Constructing main UI...
[1.90] main UI initialized...
[1.90] Hiding splash screen
[2.91] splash screen hidden
Failed to run pipe worker with command: from calibre.utils.ipc.pool import run_main, worker_main; run_main(worker_main)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "runpy.py", line 194, in _run_module_as_main
File "runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
File "site.py", line 39, in <module>
File "site.py", line 35, in main
File "calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 195, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "calibre/utils/ipc/pool.py", line 396, in run_main
File "multiprocessing/connection.py", line 502, in Client
File "multiprocessing/connection.py", line 630, in SocketClient
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
corrp@Library-Mac-mini ~ %
Old 11-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That indicates that something on your computer is deleting the sockets calibre uses to communicate with its worker processes. These sockets are created inside the temporary directory on macOS. You can probably fix the issue by telling calibre to use a different temporary directory by setting the CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR environment variable, as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
Old 11-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
pjcinoz

I set the environment variable as described and did a number of other things. I still get the same behaviour. After working on it off and on for a couple of days, I am abandoning the export/import project for calibre. The application and database work well on my laptop. Since I am the only one access the ebook PDFs, this should be fine.

By the way, things I tried? environment variable; disabling the firewall; logging out and doing everything in a clean admin account; downloading CleanMyMac and doing a full uninstall of calibre and all the supporting files throughout the system (calibre had no uninstaller as near as I can tell; a simple drag to trash earlier left items); a reinstall and start over after the usually clean and verify empty for the destination folder. All looked good, calibre quit after the import. Attempt to launch bounced a few times in the Dock, the splash screen displayed and it quietly quit... i.e., the same behaviour. I ran the debug command and it looked the same. I give up.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well for the next release I have changed calibre to not use named sockets for IPC, which means whatever it is on your system that is deleting the sockets, cant do it anymore.

Tags
move library