Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
dallyp
dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi Kindle Touch From goodwill
Smile kindle touch

can you get linux mint on kindle touch and provide a image beacuse i am running windows

Last edited by dallyp; 01-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.
dallyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8

That is a Rick Astley Video

Ill raise you a MC Hammer

Last edited by HLS; 01-07-2018 at 11:49 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Do not torment or torture the developers with bad videos if you want help.
The answering service says the developers are away until the videos disappear.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:

You know if you tell us to not torment you with bad 1980's videos we will just have to do just that. Its dallyp fault for posting a Rick Astley video to begin with

I am cooking the MC like a pound of bacon

Last edited by HLS; 01-08-2018 at 09:49 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
dallyp
dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallyp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please take the 80s videos down so that the devs can continue.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
dallyp

Quote:
Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
dallyp

Quote:
ok ok we are done with the 80s videos.
now we get to porting linux mint
Old 01-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallyp View Post
ok ok we are done with the 80s videos.
now we get to porting linux mint
The kindles already run linux.
What are you needing to do?
PS: the answering service was just kidding about the videos but thank you for removing that earworm.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please take the 80s videos down so that the devs can continue.
Well, since mine is a 70s video, I will leave it just where I put it.

As I replied to you last night (in what, at that time, was post #2 of this thread):
No.
1) Not practical, Kindles run an embedded system not a general purpose system.
2) We are not paid contractors, we do not do special requests, but if your paying, somebody will do it.
3) You want it, your welcome to do it and contribute it back to the forum.
Note: Be sure you have done a complete search, I think this has come up before but I do not recall if the person doing the work contributed it back to the forum.

Last edited by knc1; 01-08-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #11
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
How I do it for debian

Hello, I have a post on how I made jessie debain linux work on my kindle. I have windows too. It involves:
  1. Creating a virtual machine emulating the kindle processor (not necessary)
  2. Bootstrapping (downloading already setup system) debian to a ext3 container
  3. Moving that container to the kindle
  4. And then mounting that container to a directory on the kindle
  5. Finally, Chrooting into that directory

Then I have an entire jessie debian system on my kindle to run apps. I can then install a desktop environment and run it, shown in my post too. I have a premade debian ext3 there.

However, I believe you wanted linux mint. I wont do the research, but you will have to find, if it exists, a version of linux mint for the kindle's ARM v7 (armel, softfloat, gnueabi).

Keep in mind that you can make a linux virtual machine run on windows, such as ubuntu, so you are fully equipped to make your own image.

A couple ways you might come about getting linux mint (if there is arm support).
1. Finding a full package of a linux root system
2. Making your own by copying the files from another arm computer with linux mint
3. That computer could be a virtual machine
4. Finding a very minimal package containing the mint operating system and then mounting it on the kindle

A site showing which distros have definitive arm support, if you cant get mint working: https://www.linux.com/learn/4-fine-linux-arm-distros

Stay away from gnueabihf (hardfloat), as the kindle might not run those.

Good luck, ask if you have questions.
My post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26#post3523926

EDIT: Looks like linux mint is only made in 32 and 64 bit, which is for desktop computers. There is no arm version. You will have to switch to another distro (I like arch or debian), or compile the entire mint system (is it open source?) in an arm emulator or setup a cross-toolchain, which I have no idea how to do.

Last edited by theol0403; 01-08-2018 at 12:51 PM.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
you will have to find, if it exists, a version of linux mint for the kindle's ARM v7 (armel, softfloat, gnueabi).
It does not exist in binary form.
It will have to be built from source.

The only reason to choose Linux Mint over one of the distributions it is derived from is its GUI.
But you lose most of that when you run it on a grayscale display.
And Linux Mint is not a touch screen based GUI, you will have to invent that bit of the GUI for yourself.
(translation: "Not Practical")

Choosing another distribution makes sense.

If you need to build anything from source, it is possible to setup your Kindle Touch to do a native build.
Probably not something a person without Linux experience should attempt.

Be certain that what you choose can be run on the kernel version installed on your Kindle Touch.
If you have to port a more modern kernel to the Kindle, you are in for a big, highly technical, bit of work.
(Translation: "Not Practical")

I'll stick with my reply of:
No, not practical.

Last edited by knc1; 01-08-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #13
dallyp

Quote:
The kindles already run linux.
What are you needing to do?
PS: the answering service was just kidding about the videos but thank you for removing that earworm.
i mean create an ext3 image on the kindle touch Cinsajoy
Old 01-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
i mean create an ext3 image on the kindle touch Cinsajoy
It would have been a big help if you had mentioned that in your first post.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
dallyp

knc1 why not use the xorg touchscreen driver. maybe we could use it on eink

Last edited by dallyp; 01-08-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: i put kindle fire

Tags
dev, ext3, image, kindle, linux