Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Multiple Calibre versions on same PC?

I am sure this had been asked/answered before but I could not find the answer. For my purpose, I will need to install two different versions of Calibre on the same machine, assuming I have two partitions, can I install one on one partition and install the other on the other partition so the two have their own libraries separate on two different hard disk partitions? How do I do this exactly, any step by step instructions? many thanks!
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Use the portable version of calibre (or you could do one native install and one portable). You can even store them on the same partition, the folders just have to be named differently.

calibre-portable: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

Download the above and unzip to the folder of your choice and name it Calibre1, then unzip it again this time, name it Calibre2. Voila, you now have two versions installed. Of course, this only works on Windows.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish and why do you need two versions anyway? More info would be helpful to make sure the set up would work as you want it (I actually have more than 10 instances of Calibre installed on my PC that I'm playing with).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Sylver
Addict

Thanks a lot, ilovejedd. "portable" sounds a little fishy, is it a watered down or "lite" version? Do I loose anything on the "portable" version? I currently have version 7.45 installed and that was the last version via which I had successfully converted some huge mobi files to epub without any issue - my files each have literally thousands of inter-linked notes, and for reason I don't understand, several later versions I tried all failed on me on these particular conversions (the notes don't get converted properly or the links broke). I would like to keep this version intact, but this version has some issues with epub-txt conversion so I would like to install a new version at the same time so I can do my other more general txt-epub conversion.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Thanks a lot, ilovejedd. "portable" sounds a little fishy, is it a watered down or "lite" version? Do I loose anything on the "portable" version? I currently have version 7.45 installed and that was the last version via which I had successfully converted some huge mobi files to epub without any issue - my files each have literally thousands of inter-linked notes, and for reason I don't understand, several later versions I tried all failed on me on these particular conversions (the notes don't get converted properly or the links broke). I would like to keep this version intact, but this version has some issues with epub-txt conversion so I would like to install a new version at the same time so I can do my other more general txt-epub conversion.
Nope, not watered down at all. All the functions of calibre are there. It just keeps all settings, etc in its own folder. Since you already have 7.45 installed on your PC, you can just keep that one as a native install and use the portable version for the newer releases.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Sylver
Addict

Many many thanks, ilovejedd!
Advert