Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Series Index displayed as separate column from Series

I can see how to make a Series Index column separate from the Series, but is it possible to stop the Series Index from displaying in the Series column? I thought I saw the option somewhere once but cant find it anywhere now, I could have imagined it of course
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Not that I know of.

You can of course create two custom columns, and hide the series column.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I played about with creating two separate columns, one for the Series name and one for the Series Index. The downside is they aren't "enterable", you cant click on the box and edit the contents, you have to either go and open the Edit Metadata window or go back to the original Series column. If I create enterable columns then they dont automatically display what's in the series / series index columns, so each one has to be updated manually.
It seems odd that there's the option available to have a separate Series Index column but not to turn off the Series Index display in the Series column.

Also If on import there is no series index number in the metadata, Calibre by default guesses that it's number 1. Why not put 0 (zero), at least then we'd know if the number 1 info was from the metadata or not. To rectify this I changed the Auto increment series index tweak to:
series_index_auto_increment = 0
'TRUE'

Which works OK for imports, but there seems to be a bug if you mass copy any series numbers from within the Series column to the Series Index, any line which doesn't have a number in gets changed back to a 1 again...

Last edited by Vortex; 03-15-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Perhaps I am missing something -- I only know one way to make a separate series_index column and that is through a custom column. Custom columns are arbitrary, so it is a bit disingenuous to say "It seems odd that there's the option available to have a separate Series Index column", even before you say "but not to turn off the Series Index display in the Series column".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote