Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #46
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
There is always a way around. To use sd card slot and initiate a connection
to upgrade server. It has to connect to wifi router, exchange handshake
steps, log to remote server, do the task...
I assume no difference if something starts from device itself or sd card.
At least I installed my dedicated server from usb stick, containing just
basic things. Then I fetched libraries from remote server. Added parts
the same way. Should work for every device around the globe.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #47
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
got it this morning at work, thanks. easy and painless.
the ghosting is near invisible on my kobo with 6 pages but it's nice to know i can change it to refresh after every page turn.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #48
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski
So can you confirm that the current version of the Touch doesn't support hyperlinks within ePubs?
The question might more properly be asked, are we sure it doesn't support it for sideloaded ePUBs if you want it for this book. There are a number of features which, at least for now, are supported for kepub (Kobo's proprietary DRM for ePUBs) but not for sideloaded ePUB, with or without DRM.
Well no-one's replied about either. So I have to assume that other reports are true and the Touch doesn't support hyperlinks. That's a great pity and rules the Touch out for me until Kobo fixes this.

It seems that the whole kepub thing stems from problems Kobo has getting the standard ADE SDK working properly, so they rolled their own xhtml renderer in order to implement highlighting and the dictionary. It's already been reported that you can get it to use this on sideloaded epubs by renaming them to .kepub.epub, so this might be a workable solution (though I read that the kepub renderer doesn't respect the margins set in the css :deepsigh:, but it's all a bit vague since no-one's posted any hard details of how closely this machine follows the spec).

I strip the DRM off all the books I buy and fix the css so that the book displays properly without any need to twiddle settings on the reader. Maybe one of these days I'll find a reasonably-priced reader with a Pearl screen that can display epubs according to the full spec...
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #49
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Yup! Super responsive page turns...especially when flipping through them fast. Now it is a rival of the Kindle 3 for page turn speed! Thanks Kobo for listening to customers and delivering on fixing the ghosting issue and speed. Now the rest of the features requested we can patiently wait for to ensure top notch implementation...I believe the day is coming when the Kobo will be at the top of the pack =)
Was the fix for ghosting the page refresh option?

Noticeable text fading appears on the second page for me; wish it could be more than two pages....but oh well. I have mine set at every two pages - but I may have to go to refreshing with each page turn. I'm jealous of those who don't notice fading, even up to page 6.

Maybe I should play with fonts and such.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 07-06-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: To add the last two sentences.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #50
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Was the fix for ghosting the page refresh option?

Ghosting fix was page refresh (IMHO Kobo only went with the 6 page thing because Nook came out with it and made such a big deal of "less flashing". Fortunately they were nice enough to give us the option to decide how often we wanted it to refresh fairly quickly). I think font does make a big difference. Some fonts are pretty faint to begin with (especially at smaller sizes) and I think these are more prone to fade.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #51
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Any ETA yet on when 1.9.6 will be out? I'm currently using 1.9.4 because of the italics bug present in 1.9.5 which is a deal breaker for me. I'm very close to the end of a book and my battery just died. I went to plug it in and keep reading, but since I reverted to 1.9.4 and haven't "setup" my Kobo yet with the desktop software, I'm not given the option to charge while continuing to read . (Unless I'm mistaken, setting up the Kobo with the desktop software will force an update to the latest firmware.)
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #52
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithradyr View Post
Any ETA yet on when 1.9.6 will be out? I'm currently using 1.9.4 because of the italics bug present in 1.9.5 which is a deal breaker for me. I'm very close to the end of a book and my battery just died. I went to plug it in and keep reading, but since I reverted to 1.9.4 and haven't "setup" my Kobo yet with the desktop software, I'm not given the option to charge while continuing to read . (Unless I'm mistaken, setting up the Kobo with the desktop software will force an update to the latest firmware.)
Once you set up the device with the desktop you can charge and read at the same time.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #53
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
I'm jealous of those who don't notice fading, even up to page 6.

The severity of the ghosting can change depending on what you're reading (i.e. if you go from a page full of text to a page with little text then you might notice ghosting) and the type of font (size, thickness, etc). So depending on your settings and what you're reading you might notice ghosting more or less than other people.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #54
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
Once you set up the device with the desktop you can charge and read at the same time.
Yes but won't this force me to update to the latest firmware? It's not really a huge issue anyway; the device doesn't take long to charge. I'm mainly just wondering if there's a general idea of when 1.9.6 will be out. According to a poster somewhere on the forum, the italics bug has already been fixed. If you can't give an estimate though I understand. I'm not trying to be pushy :P

Last edited by Mithradyr; 07-06-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote