Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
08GibsonExplorer
08GibsonExplorer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
1.9.10 fix list please

Hi Kobo Dev's,

Could we please get the fix list for this update?
08GibsonExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...97&postcount=3

more specific you'll have to ask Kobo
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08GibsonExplorer View Post
Hi Kobo Dev's,

Could we please get the fix list for this update?
Supposedly the most important fix is the internal storage error fix.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Supposedly the most important fix is the internal storage error fix.
It is to those who have encountered it (fortunately that's not me).

Hope that error hasn't inconvenienced you too much.

The tweaks seem mainly geared to formally launching multi-language versions. All menus and internals switch form one language to another as per your master settings. The same appears to be true of the Desktop application update.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
It is to those who have encountered it (fortunately that's not me).

Hope that error hasn't inconvenienced you too much.

The tweaks seem mainly geared to formally launching multi-language versions. All menus and internals switch form one language to another as per your master settings. The same appears to be true of the Desktop application update.
I just hope that they were actually competent enough to correct it. It's a MAJOR PITA to factory reset BTW.

[EDIT]
...and I ONLY did so assuming that they actually started auditing their changes and actually corrected their bugs... for 1.9.10, couldn't give a rat's arse about non-English crap...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
i.e. they've entirely lost already what few brownie points that they had previously gained with me by such a incompetent lack of diligence, especially given that Google has repeatedly posted about proper, i.e. "safe", file access(opening/closing) albeit wrt Android but it still applies to Kobo as well.

The article are buried on the code.google site somewhere, and also contributed their spur to changing the filesystem from ext3 to ext4 as an additonal "safeguard".
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
I could've bought these bugs IF they were relying on Chinese devs for fw, but Canadians? (Maybe a couple of Americans?) Someone who runs the fw devs needs to be looking for a new job soonish... IMNHO!
[/EDIT3]

[EDIT4]
Actually now that I think of it it wasn't on code.google but on the Android dev Google blogs, and it sounded like some of their minor minions as well as 3rd party devs were transgressing on proper file/db management...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 09-02-2011 at 11:10 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The list is five items long and you have five "edits". I assume the remarks you made are supposed to be commentary on those five items. Note that there is no specificity about any bugs and that the first four items on the list are new features.

The list:

Quote:
- Set your preferred language
- Translate words in a book to other languages
- Support for free books from Internet Archive
- Revised EXTRAS settings under SETTINGS
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements
You sound angry. Is it your bigotry that fuels this? Your experience reading between the lines? Your programming expertise? Your ownership and problems with a Touch or other Kobo product?

From your post:

Quote:
...and I ONLY did so assuming that they actually started auditing their changes and actually corrected their bugs... for 1.9.10, couldn't give a rat's arse about non-English crap...

I could've bought these bugs IF they were relying on Chinese devs for fw, but Canadians? (Maybe a couple of Americans?) Someone who runs the fw devs needs to be looking for a new job soonish... IMNHO!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes angry and racist.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Yes angry and racist.
Do Canadians show up for work on time? When they do, they do any work? Do Americans? I don't
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
ella935
ella935 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post
Do Canadians show up for work on time? When they do, they do any work? Do Americans? I don't
If you worked for me I'd fire you.(Good thing eh!)
ella935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I didn't respond to the outburst because, frankly, it was incoherent.

Life is too short to get so, so angry ... at an ereader. I get this storage error was hugely frustrating for those who encountered it but I did notice that this particular poster lists at least three other reading devices and one might suggest trying something else in the meantime.

While Kobo has had some challenges with software, it's also managed to deliver a really cool product that far outperforms its humble origins. Nook is backed by a company with $7 billion in annual sales; Kindle by Amazon with sales in 2011 expected to top $40 billion; Sony is about double the size of Amazon. In contrast, the entire Kobo business is the result of investments of a few tens of millions.

So, I can be a little patient, especially given the track record Kobo has had in continual improvements. Though released less than three months ago, it has already gone through a few software updates which not only squashed the odd bug but greatly enhanced -- often directly through customer feedback including this forum -- the product as shipped. There is nothing on the box I paid for that lists user selectable / installable fonts; fine-grained control over display pages; multiple language support including dictionaries; live Facebook updates; Reading Life; a credible web browser including the ability to download books directly to the device over wifi from a non-Kobo source; and other things not top of mind.

I will say it again: kudos to Kobo!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #11
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

+1...
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #12
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
+2
@SensualPoet
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
+3 @SensualPoet
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
/hugs @ SensualPoet
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

kittens, also, most definitely.

Life's too short to get so, so angry about anything.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote