Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 02-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
swapjim
swapjim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I use custom fonts in Tolino Shine 2 HD?

I can see a referance that Tolino readers can use custom fonts. But that's from 2013.

I'm considering buying Tolino Shine 2 HD. If anyone has used this product, can they tell me whether it can use custom fonts or not?
swapjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapjim View Post
I can see a referance that Tolino readers can use custom fonts. But that's from 2013.

I'm considering buying Tolino Shine 2 HD. If anyone has used this product, can they tell me whether it can use custom fonts or not?
I have a Vision 3HD. Effectively the same reader software as the Shine 2 HD and custom fonts work.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Do you need to rename it as an existing font? Or can you simply add new ones? (I'd like to add the ubuntu font as I'm used to reading on that on my Kobo)
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:52 AM   #4
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

I've tried to add my Ubuntu fonts the way I'd add them to Kobo, and I didn't get the italic and bold to work (though the regular ubuntu font works fine).

@church mouse, could you post a zip with a working set of fonts? So I can compare and maybe find out what I did wrong with my Ubuntu set.

How I added them:
Ubuntu-Bold.ttf
Ubuntu-BoldItalic.ttf
Ubuntu-Italic.ttf
Ubuntu-Regular.ttf (this one works)

Thanks

Last edited by Dryhte; 03-07-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 AM   #5
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Dryhte

I also experienced problems where certain fonts were messaged by the Tolino as being incompatible or damaged, but I do not have enough knowledge to work out why . You can tell which ones it does not like because it will put them in to a folder called "incompatible".

For instance, with Ubuntu I could get the Regular and Regular Italic to work, but never the bold.

I attach a zip of an open licence font I managed to get the Tolino to recognise for all for style/weights.

See if this set works for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Font-Test.zip (114.3 KB, 636 views)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Dryhte
Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
@Dryhte

I also experienced problems where certain fonts were messaged by the Tolino as being incompatible or damaged, but I do not have enough knowledge to work out why . You can tell which ones it does not like because it will put them in to a folder called "incompatible".

For instance, with Ubuntu I could get the Regular and Regular Italic to work, but never the bold.

I attach a zip of an open licence font I managed to get the Tolino to recognise for all for style/weights.

See if this set works for you.
Thanks. I haven't gotten around to this yet, will report back if it does work for me as well.

For now I'm reading on one of the system supplied sans-serif fonts which works for me (though when I see my kids reading on Ubuntu I feel a pang of loss )
Old 03-15-2018, 03:28 AM   #7
church mouse
Evangelist

@Dryhte. In case you are not aware of this, the font recognition problem was made far worse by firmware 10.0.1.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I tried this – it's just like Constantia. I can get Regular to work, but nothing else. Deja Vu Serif won't work at all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:08 AM   #9
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I tried this – it's just like Constantia. I can get Regular to work, but nothing else. Deja Vu Serif won't work at all.
I have given up trying to work out how Tolino handles custom fonts because it is so unpredictable - in testing I found that even if a font family successfully installed once, if I deleted and reinstalled it Tolino may accept some or all of it, or reject it entirely.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I have given up trying to work out how Tolino handles custom fonts because it is so unpredictable - in testing I found that even if a font family successfully installed once, if I deleted and reinstalled it Tolino may accept some or all of it, or reject it entirely.
Okay. Thanks. I see what you mean. When trying the "Test" font family, originally only the Regular font installed. Then, when I tried moving the fonts back over, all but the Bold installed. I might explore this a bit more, but I'm not going to worry about it too much. Bitter is pretty dark and a clean font and, if I don't mind not having Bold, Italic or Bold Italic, Constantia Regular works. And then there's always the option I use on the Sonys, embed the font in Calibre.

Thanks.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, tolino