Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Air 2
Which case?

I've had a Kindle Paperwhite 2 for about 3 years now. In that time I've gone through 4 Omoton or Fintie cases. Usually, the plastic encasing the magnet cracks and the cracks grow until the case is broken. Also, the pleather that makes up the hinge keeps stretching out and developing tiny tears that make the case close crookedly. I take good care of the device, it looks pristine even after all these years, but I'm a HEAVY user so the case wears out quickly. It gets hours of use a day, every day.

With the big sale on right now, I'm thinking of upgrading to the PW3 (I REALLY want the Oasis but that's a different story entirely). My PW2 has started freezing up occasionally and the battery life has diminished from 3 years of constant use.

But I'm torn on the case. I don't want to get more Omoton or Fintie cases because they just don't cut it. Is the $40 Amazon case worthwhile in that situation? The Oasis would probably solve all my problems but it's also $310 after special offers are removed so...no.
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've spent way too much money on Paperwhite and Voyage covers and now I stick to the too expensive Kindle cover for my Paperwhite because it works for me. The on/off feature works which was hit and miss on some other cases. The case gives good protection and gives me something to hold onto when I'm reading.

I did send Kindle a suggestion that the have their expensive case with some graphics on the cover rather than just a half-dozen colors, mostly blah.

I never found a case for my Voyage but I got rid of the Voyage anyway. When I ordered the Voyage I ordered the Kindle case and I hated it. It opened like a tablet, the front cover was floppy, and it rated a 9 out of 10 for cutesy.

Paperwhite is my favorite Kindle and the Kindle cover is my favorte cover. I have a KW and a MOKO sitting on a shelf and went back to my older Kindle covers. I have two Paperwhites.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I purchased the Amazon Paperwhite leather cover with my PW1 in October 2012, and I now use the same cover with my PW3. Despite daily use, the cover looks like new with no cracking or stretching. Also, the Kindle remains secure in the cover (it's actually difficult to get out) and the on-off feature always works as expected.

The only reservation some might have--other than cost--is the weight that the Amazon cover adds to the Kindle. When reading, the Kindle sits in my lap or on the bed, so the added weight is almost a positive for me. However, if you hold the Kindle while reading the weight could be an issue.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Like Kaibob, I purchased the official Amazon leather cover for my Paperwhite when I got my Paperwhite 1 back in September 2012. When I upgraded to a PW2, I used the same case. Last fall I bought a Voyage, so I haven't used my PW as much, but before that, I used it daily for over 4 years and the cover has held up beautifully. No flimsiness or cracking at all. I only wish that Amazon would offer a similar, book-style leather cover for the Voyage. I dislike the origami style and have settled on a Fintie cover, but I miss the durability and quality of the Amazon version.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Air 2
Well, that all makes me feel a lot better about shelling out the money for it. The Omotons are so highly rated that I figured it would be ok, but you really do get what you pay for. Maybe I'll pull the trigger before this sale ends
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
Nathanie Bohrman
Nathanie Bohrman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have used the same Amazon official black case for 4,5 years, with the PW1 and now with the PW3. I gave the PW1 to a relative with a new official case too, and I keep using the old one.

I strongly recommended it, is very well made and gives quality feeling in the hand and in the looks. The kindle is removed and inserted from the case easily (once you have practice) and does not 'lose fit' (I do not use the cover in bed).

With my cover there's been a small defect: the material which covers the side face of the lid (about 1 milimeter), after a few years, it has 'come off'. With the hand you can finish 'peeling it' off and does not affect the appearance of the case. I read some time ago that it had happened to more people. I suppose this small defect it has been corrected in the last years.
Nathanie Bohrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have the official Amazon case for my PW2 and also a couple of Fintie cases. While I agree with everyone that the Amazon case is high quality, I find myself using the Fintie cases most of the time. The Fintie cases are quite a bit lighter than the official case, and I appreciate the lightness of the cases. The Finties are not as high quality as the Amazon cases, but then again, I can buy 4 Fintie cases for the price of the official case.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote