Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #46
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Glo
I hated the text being so much close to the top in sideloaded epubs. I used to set a margin in every book. Now i use the Kepub plugin so for me the title on top is welcome. Maybe i am the only one! :-)
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Calibre 0.9.29 does not recognise the database/firmware version in 2.5.2. Is it safe to tick the "Attempt to use newer firmware" box, or should I wait for a Calibre update?
It worked for me when I used Calibre to regenerate the covers. Ended up regenerating all the images just to clean up the ones that 2.5.0/2.5.1 had generated with the quality=-10 setting.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #48
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I wonder if this release is part of a strategy to ditch Adobe epubs and get us all using kepubs, by minimising the differences between them? It would be cheaper for Kobo if they only had to support one format.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #49
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
I hated the text being so much close to the top in sideloaded epubs. I used to set a margin in every book. Now i use the Kepub plugin so for me the title on top is welcome. Maybe i am the only one! :-)
I think this is about choice. You could choose to add more space at the top. You could also choose to have a title bar, by using kepubs. With 2.5.2 this choice has been removed - everyone has to have the title bar.

Last edited by ShellShock; 05-10-2013 at 03:36 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Calibre 0.9.29 does not recognise the database/firmware version in 2.5.2. Is it safe to tick the "Attempt to use newer firmware" box, or should I wait for a Calibre update?
The version support has been updated in calibre 0.0.30. Plus, there has been a change in the options.

The option "Show expired books" hasn't done anything for a while. It has been changed to "Show archived books". When it is checked, the archived books on the device will show in the device list. Unchecked, they will not be shown.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #51
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Real books (paperbacks) have more 30 lines of text per page and are taller in proportion to readers so they can afford to have "wasted" space on top and bottom. The purpose of a bigger screen like the Aura is to get more text without having to miniaturize it to a point of almost unreadability. If anything, the bottom wasted space to indicate the page count should be made optional (or maybe some kind of floating window that appears for a second when turning a page). And that would make it feel like a real book I think. But removing now the top space when the bottom one is not available, only makes the Aura a Glo, the Glo a mini and the mini ...

Quote:
I don't mind the title at the top, it will help balance out the page, like a real book.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #52
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When searching (as opposed to browsing) the Kobo store from the device, in previous firmware versions books had a "Buy" button without any price. In 2.5.2 the price is shown on the button (If the book is already in your library it used to show "Download" on the button, now it shows "Details"). Not sure if this is a firmware bug fix or a change on the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The version support has been updated in calibre 0.0.30. Plus, there has been a change in the options.

The option "Show expired books" hasn't done anything for a while. It has been changed to "Show archived books". When it is checked, the archived books on the device will show in the device list. Unchecked, they will not be shown.
Thanks, works great :-)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #53
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Real books (paperbacks) have more 30 lines of text per page and are taller in proportion to readers so they can afford to have "wasted" space on top and bottom. The purpose of a bigger screen like the Aura is to get more text without having to miniaturize it to a point of almost unreadability. If anything, the bottom wasted space to indicate the page count should be made optional (or maybe some kind of floating window that appears for a second when turning a page). And that would make it feel like a real book I think. But removing now the top space when the bottom one is not available, only makes the Aura a Glo, the Glo a mini and the mini ...
It is one of those changes that please some and annoy others I guess. Cheap paperbacks use a small font to save paper, hence money. But even the cheapest paperbacks have plenty of whitespace top and bottom, even though they could save even more money if they got rid of it. This is because it is more important for most people to have that whitespace there than to cram as much text as possible on to the page, it is not wasted space but an important part of the book's layout.

I agree there should be an option so everyone can have it the way they want, but for me this is an improvement not a backward step.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #54
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
If memory serves, some people (well, at least one person ) asked in the firmware request thread to have the title displayed all the time. I don't know if there is a relation between that and the fact it was implemented, though.

I still don't have that update, but I hope it will fix a bug I'm experiencing which makes the bottom of the last line disappear when the home page or the menu is invoked.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #55
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's what I noted. The book I was reading had a sleep image but the new book did not when I opened it.

But is it a new and 'improved' bug?

Time to get Calibre to generate a mass of cover files...
How is that done?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #56
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Ditto. I cannot fathom that anyone would WANT the title on every page. I can understand not caring about it. It is a definite DO NOT WANT for me.
It might surprise you, but I actually like it.

Looks more like a printed book to me and I don't care that much about the amount of text on my screen. I want to read comfortably and not to count words and lines.

But it should be optional, that would be great (but like so many things that would be great, I'm not sure that we're going to see that happen...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramon77 View Post
You're not. Same here.

Though I understand why people don't like it and think that it should be optional (much like the bottom space could be).

Last edited by Jaden; 05-10-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #57
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In that case they should make future e-readers taller which would mimic perfectly paperbacks. But in the meantime they are shorter so the space that could be empty up and down for title and page numbers in paperbacks when used in e-readers actually takes up space which in paperbacks would be used for text. The only way to compensate is to keep all the top (and bottom) space for text too in e-readers. And what was half lost with the forced page number at the bottom is now FULLY lost with the forced title at the top.
In the end we should have the choice of what to do with that space and now Kobo is DOWNGRADING this by removing any choice concerning top and bottom altogether. What's next, forced margins to lose space left and right ?

Quote:
It is one of those changes that please some and annoy others I guess. Cheap paperbacks use a small font to save paper, hence money. But even the cheapest paperbacks have plenty of whitespace top and bottom, even though they could save even more money if they got rid of it. This is because it is more important for most people to have that whitespace there than to cram as much text as possible on to the page, it is not wasted space but an important part of the book's layout.

I agree there should be an option so everyone can have it the way they want, but for me this is an improvement not a backward step.

Last edited by Quexos; 05-10-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #58
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

Looks more like a printed book to me and I don't care that much about the amount of text on my screen. I want to read comfortably and not want to count words and lines.

But it should be optional, that would be great (but like so many things that would be great, I'm not sure that we're going to see that happen...).
I'm with you here. I also understand that it's not to everyone's taste.
It's so easy to turn the pages on an ereader that I'm trying to put as much information as possible on one screen. I value more the over all feeling.

In no way I'm saying that I'm right and others are wrong or anything like that. It's just different strokes for different folks (so an option would be great).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #59
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

Looks more like a printed book to me and I don't care that much about the amount of text on my screen. I want to read comfortably and not to count words and lines.

But do you want to see the title specifically, or do you just like the bigger top margin? I can understand wanting a margin. I always know what book I am reading, and I find the additional text distracting. I agree with you, options are the best solution.

Edit: I looked at a few of my paperbacks - those that have the title, author, chapter, etc at the top also display the page number at the top, so there is only one line of "extraneous text" on a page.

Last edited by treadlightly; 05-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #60
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
But do you want to see the title specifically, or do you just like the bigger top margin? I can understand wanting a margin. I always know what book I am reading, and I find the additional text distracting. I agree with you, options are the best solution.
I actually like the title (in smaller size) on top. It's nice for the balance since there's some kind of text on the bottom (page numbers and chapter titles in KePubs) as well. And I don't find it distracting at all. Normally I don't even realize that there is text.

Not that I need to be reminded what book I'm actually reading at the moment. But the display of the chapter name on the bottom (in KePubs at least) is really nice.

If that space on the top was all empty, it would look "off" to me. I used to set my top margin to 5 pt. That was okay, though bit out of balance, but less distracting than a large empty space on top of my text would be (for me).

Interesting how different people and their preferences are.

Quote:
Edit: I looked at a few of my paperbacks - those that have the title, author, chapter, etc at the top also display the page number at the top, so there is only one line of "extraneous text" on a page.
Interesting. I've never seen that, only page numbers on the bottom and the extra info like book name or author or chapter name on the top.

But I guess once I've started reading I don't see much of what's around the actual text. I also tend to forget wether I've read the book in German or in English, so...

Last edited by Jaden; 05-10-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote