Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I like one of the justifications given in the comments:
Quote:
every year for the last 4 years Kobo has released a new e-reader in April/early may for mother's day. This is what they do. The fact the company is TOO quiet leads me to believe this is the case.
But, "Last last four years" would be 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. The Aura HD was April 2013 and the Glo HD was May 2015. Nothing was released in early 2012 or 2014. And as the first Touch was May 2011, the pattern looks more like every two years. That would mean nothing at this time this year.*

Unless the release is just a refresh, (colours for the Glo HD or a bigger internal card), I don't think we are going to see a new device soon. If we were, I think we would have seen another firmware update before now. Kobo have been releasing at least one evidence of any new device for a while.

* Yes, I noticed the WiFi was released in May 2010, but as it didn't fit my pattern, I ignored it
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it's the fourth Sunday of Lent in the UK - three weeks before Easter Sunday - so it's a different date every year.
Mother's Day in Lent? I hope Mom didn't give up flowers, candy, etc. for Lent!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Mother's Day in Lent? I hope Mom didn't give up flowers, candy, etc. for Lent!
"Mothering Sunday" in the UK - aka "Mother's Day" - originally had nothing to do with mothers. It was the day that people were expected to visit their "mother church" (normally their nearest cathedral). Its association with mothers is a modern innovation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
"Mothering Sunday" in the UK - aka "Mother's Day" - originally had nothing to do with mothers. It was the day that people were expected to visit their "mother church" (normally their nearest cathedral). Its association with mothers is a modern innovation.
We should have all gone with Surrey's "Pudding Pie Sunday" instead and this confusion would never have happened.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #20
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Yeah, those darn Mothers, taking over and assimilating other cultures holidays...And doing it to the Church! How shocking!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #21
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Does anyone know why retail prices of Kobo eReaders have increased suddenly?

Kobo Glo HD has increased from 129.99 to 139.99 CAD and H2O has increased from 179.99 to 199.99 CAD

I was planning to purchase a Kobo H2O for my friend and couldn't purchase it earlier, he will get annoyed with me
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post

Kobo Glo HD has increased from 129.99 to 139.99 CAD and H2O has increased from 179.99 to 199.99 CAD

I was planning to purchase a Kobo H2O for my friend and couldn't purchase it earlier, he will get annoyed with me
The US prices, which used to be the same dollar amount, have not gone up, so I suspect it's a reflection of the decline in the Canadian dollar relative to the US dollar.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #23
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post

This may be an indication that Kobo isn't releasing something soon. Or, at least, that it won't compete with the Glo HD or H2O.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #24
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Although my Aura HD is working just fine, I have to admit a new Kobo 6.8" screen device would interest me. Guess it's wait and see!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #25
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This may be an indication that Kobo isn't releasing something soon. Or, at least, that it won't compete with the Glo HD or H2O.
Much more likely that it's the drop in the Canadian $ vs the U.S. $ that has finally worked it's way through. Especially if it is a country specific increase.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #26
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The US prices, which used to be the same dollar amount, have not gone up, so I suspect it's a reflection of the decline in the Canadian dollar relative to the US dollar.
Thank you. This is the best possible explanation but I just wasn't expecting a 20 CAD price rise for a 2 years old model.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 AM   #27
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yen is so strong recently. That might be the reason.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #28
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
Yen is so strong recently. That might be the reason.
Generally, Chinese/Taiwanese custom manufactured hardware is priced in US dollars.

The Yen is probably a complete non-factor. The Yen may be a factor when Kobo reports its financials to the Japanese mother corporation.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #29
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Must be the new 5 inch reader with back light screen. That was reason they sold all of the Kobo mini for deeply discounted price.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can't help but think that a new device is one reason we've not seen a new release for some time; the community has shown a lot of skill in searching build for info on new devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote