Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sony eBookstore - Justified Text?

I bought my first book from Sony and it's not justified. I dislike ragged lines so I immediately ran it through calibre. Is it hit or miss as to whether a book will have justified text? I was looking forward to syncing some books on my 950 and the Android tablet app with my Sony tablet. But I won't be able to do so if I'll have to change the alignment. Would be nice if there was an option to change alignment. The Kobo Touch offers the best formatting options.

Last edited by SCION; 09-20-2011 at 07:44 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I believe it is fairly hit or miss. Some retailers will process books, others won't, and then some only process the ones they 'publish' themselves (B&N). I don't think Sony does any processing at all, simply presenting whatever they've been given by publishers, which can be pretty messy at times.

Can you sideload with the S?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post

Can you sideload with the S?
Supposedly you can with the Reader tablet app that was just released. I think that's one of the features that's not on the regular "phone" app. My tablets on order so I can't speak from a hands on perspective.

But I'm not planning to use the Reader app for non-Sony purchases. Just for new stuff that I buy going forward to take advantage of syncing. Oh well, I guess I'll just use my preferred ebook reader app (Mantano) on my tablet and just remember where I left off when switching devices.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I asked because I wasn't sure that it mattered. Sony hasn't really tied their stuff to store purchases in the past. I'd kinda expect that syncing notes/etc would work with any book as long as you side-loaded the same one onto each.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant

Hmmm, wouldn't the non-Sony books have to be stored on their server in order to sync? How would one device/app know what you did somewhere else? Your scenario would be a dream come true for many.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

You mean the books themselves? I was thinking just bookmarks/notes.

For example, iBooks can sync bookmarks and notes between devices, and because the unique hash is the same for the book on both devices it works. No need to store the book on their servers at all. I haven't bought book one from Apple, and yet it worked quite well for me between an iPhone and iPad when I used it. All that is really needed to be stored on the server is the bookmarks and notes themselves, plus the unique ID of the book. The two devices can do the rest on their own to match it to an actual book.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
You mean the books themselves? I was thinking just bookmarks/notes.

For example, iBooks can sync bookmarks and notes between devices, and because the unique hash is the same for the book on both devices it works. No need to store the book on their servers at all. I haven't bought book one from Apple, and yet it worked quite well for me between an iPhone and iPad when I used it. All that is really needed to be stored on the server is the bookmarks and notes themselves, plus the unique ID of the book. The two devices can do the rest on their own to match it to an actual book.
Wow!!! That's incredible. I'm shaking my head in amazement. So, it can be done.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Yup. All the technology required to make it work is quite old. Just need the time and money to tie it all together.

Books already carry an ISBN to identify them, and ePub supports setting unique IDs in the metadata, including an ISBN. But for at least 20 years, it's been possible to 'hash' a computer file into a short string that would turn out different if even one bit changed in the file. Compute the hash, and you have a unique ID for that file. That hash can then be used to confirm that the file hasn't changed, or that file A and file B are identical or not.

I can't say if Sony actually did this, or which unique ID they use: the one in the ePub, or the computed hash. I'll probably know a bit more once I have my T1.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Oh my!!! It works with Sony. I just tried it with my 950 and their desktop app (wireless syncing). Non-Sony books do sync. UNBELIEVABLE. Woo Hoo!!! I would have never known this if you didn't probe and share. Thank you!!! Fabulous, now I look forward to using the Android app for everything. It doesn't offer many features like my favorite eBook app does, but just being able to sync sideloaded books is worth it.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Sweet.

Is that over the air with the 950?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Sweet.

Is that over the air with the 950?
Yes.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Just because of this thread, you made me grab a 950 while they are still available. Congrats.

I wanted to keep 2 devices so I could switch between them for various reasons, but the wireless syncing of bookmarks just put me over the edge. Was gonna keep my 650 and a T1, now it looks like it will be a 950 and a T1. Looks like I'll be able to sync bookmarks between the two which will be very useful.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Just because of this thread, you made me grab a 950 while they are still available. Congrats.

I wanted to keep 2 devices so I could switch between them for various reasons, but the wireless syncing of bookmarks just put me over the edge. Was gonna keep my 650 and a T1, now it looks like it will be a 950 and a T1. Looks like I'll be able to sync bookmarks between the two which will be very useful.
That's a wise move! I'm sure many are envious of your recent acquisition.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have been able to load books in the new Sony software and sync between my 950, desktop and Android app. I was happily surprised that syncing worked regardless of whether the book was purchased from Sony or Kobo or elsewhere. Now I am even more intrigued by the Sony tablet. I wish they'd release an iPhone app eventually too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I suppose I should clarify that syncing on my 950 and desktop works regardless of where the book was purchased. The Android app only supports Sony purchases at the moment. I too am very interested in the T1 for syncing purposes.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote