Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Jonno
Jonno began at the beginning.

Device: ipad (probably)
n00b alert: help please - non-DRM ebooks & comics and iPad

G'day all,

I've been a lurker here for about the last year, and I think I've finally decided on getting an iPad. I was going to get a Sony prs late last year, then was really keen on a Pocketbook 302, and basically I kept getting sidetracked by all the 'new' (read vaporware) tech that is 'supposed' to be coming out and thus have not bought anything yet.

I'm pretty keen on the iPad because it seems like I can do a fair bit more than just read a book - helps having the tax deductability too BUT - I have studiously managed to avoid all things "i...." until now so I don't have any experience with iTunes, etc...

In anticipation of finally getting an ereader, I've amassed a pretty good collection of comics and e-books; various sources and all open. It seems that Stanza and Comiczeal are some of the more popular apps, but how do I actually go about getting my collection onto the iPad?? Will these apps let me read non-DRM stuff I already have? Do I install iTunes to my computer, and then port them over wirelessly or what? Do I have to install the reader apps first, and then export from my PC?

I'd really appreciate some help here folks for a n00by on how to actually set up the iPad so I can be sure I'll be able to read the stuff I already have, so sorry if all of this seems rather too basic!

cheers for the help,

Jon
Jonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Welcome!

You use iTunes to sync your iPad.... I strip the DRM from all my books, so I know it's not a problem to read them on the iPad. iBooks can read the ePub ones, and you just import the books into iTunes and then sync, and they are there. I use Comic Zeal, and you can just drag and drop when you have Comic Zeal attached with iTunes. You can install iTunes now, get some apps and import your books and be ready for you iPad.... It's really pretty easy.... just one of those things you have to do a few times to get the flow of it.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Just wanted to add that Stanza is drag and drop also.... When you have the iPad attached just click on the "apps" tab. Scroll down and there will be a the apps you have installed that support the drag and drop feature. Comiczeal and Stanza if installed will be listed. Select the one you want to add items to, and then drag the files into the box to the right of the list of apps.... that's it

As I said all non-DRM ePubs, just use iBooks. If you have any PDF's use Goodreader, which also supports the drag and drop. Goodreader is $.99 in the app store.... But if you wait until the iBooks update later this month, it will also read PDF books.....
Old 06-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Jonno

Cheers Bremen - thanks for the help, most appreciated! I do have heaps of pdf's, so Goodreader sounds like a must as well. I tend to get heaps of articles for work in pdf, and it's always a hassle trying to print them, then drag around copies wth me, etc., etc,. One of the main selling points for me with the iPad is that the screen is actually big enough to read them easily on.

Another silly question - does the iPad come with a data cable (usb)? I'll definitel get itunes up and running and get things organised, but do things get transferred via the cable or wirelessly? If so, is the wireless painfully slow?

ta again
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Jonno

Addit - also found this thread which probably answers most of my questions....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=81471&page=1
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Yes it comes with a cable... I would suggest spending some time at http://www.apple.com/support/ipad , lots of good info there....

Also check out http://www.ipadforums.net a great iPad community....
Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
whilst I like goodreader I prefer Cloudreader which is free s definately worth a go and its great for comics my favourite app for that and i read a lot of comics
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard

@stustaff, I have never used cloudreader, does it support drag and drop?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
@stustaff, I have never used cloudreader, does it support drag and drop?
For comics, at least the following support drag-and-drop through iTunes:
(Apps which support cbr/cbz, not just pdf)

- Bookman
- CloudReaders
- ComicBook
- ComicZeal 4
- Stanza

There may well be others, but these are ones I have installed.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Thanks, I figured it would, but was not sure....