Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2024, 01:52 PM   #1
woodr2011
Connoisseur
woodr2011 began at the beginning.

Device: PC and laptop
7.0 Installation/Update Issue in Windows 10 Pro

For the past several updates of v7, I have had issues with the updating process. I download the update, choose E:\Program Files\Calibre2 as the destination folder, and then execute the update only to have an "unable to install" popup each time. The workaround is as follows:

-choose E:\Program Files as the destination folder rather than E:\Program Files\Calibre2 and then execute the update

-all files and folders are installed in the Program Files directory, after which I need to C&P those into the existing Calibre2 folder and then overwrite all of the old files and folders! LOL

What am I missing here? Why on earth is this happening?

Last edited by woodr2011; 01-19-2024 at 01:54 PM.
woodr2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 02:31 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried uninstalling calibre, deleting the E:\Programs Files\Calibre2 directory and then installing?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 02:40 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Shouldn't that be just (drive:\) Program files?
The installation will create / look for calibre2
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 02:52 PM   #4
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Hi, David: I was hoping to avoid that because I would need to reinstall all of my plugins and redo all of my customized settings, etc.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:15 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodr2011 View Post
Hi, David: I was hoping to avoid that because I would need to reinstall all of my plugins and redo all of my customized settings, etc.
Uninstalling and reinstalling calibre should not affect your plugins and settings. They live in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Shouldn't that be just (drive:\) Program files?
The installation will create / look for calibre2
FWIW: the default is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-20 082133.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	205899

@woodr2011 - What sort of device is mapped to drive E:

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:39 PM   #7
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FWIW: the default is:

Attachment 205899

@woodr2011 - What sort of device is mapped to drive E:

BR
My C drive is relatively small by comparison, so I have an 8 TB internal HD on which I store my media files. I have Calibre there because my ebook files are stored on that drive, also. This issue never occurred until quite recently. The workaround takes less than 5 minutes to perform.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:57 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My C drive is relatively small by comparison, so I have an 8 TB internal HD on which I store my media files. I have Calibre there because my ebook files are stored on that drive, also. This issue never occurred until quite recently. The workaround takes less than 5 minutes to perform.
JUST Use Calibre Portable, instead... It is self contained .

Just move the existing Library folder Into the proper place in Portable after the install (portable not running)
Easy Peasy to find where if your Library has the default name.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:11 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Same, except my extra internal drive is mapped to D: it's label is Data.

FWIW - My C: drive is 237GB and it's about half full, my Version 7.4 calibre install folder is ~460MB; my configuration folder is ~26MB.

I stand by my previous comments, IMO you would be better off moving to Win 10 as your primary OS, and only retain a Win 7 partition if absolutely necessary… if you put it on a decent usb device (e.g. a Corsair thumb drive) that should free up some of your SSD.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-19-2024 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:04 PM   #10
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
Same, except my extra internal drive is mapped to D: it's label is Data.

FWIW - My C: drive is 237GB and it's about half full, my Version 7.4 calibre install folder is ~460MB; my configuration folder is ~26MB.

I stand by my previous comments, IMO you would be better off moving to Win 10 as your primary OS, and only retain a Win 7 partition if absolutely necessary… if you put it on a decent usb device (e.g. a Corsair thumb drive) that should free up some of your SSD.

BR
I am running Win 10 Pro.

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-19-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:56 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I run 10 Pro
My Library is on an 2T drive that is mounted as a extended folder of my SSD (still C:, but that part, BigHD, spins ) Been running that way since mid 2019
Old 01-19-2024, 08:49 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I am running Win 10 Pro.
I confused your issue with this one ==>> Calibre v3.4 and 7.4 : are databases compatible ? --- user dual boots Win 7 and Win 10.

I just uninstalled calibre from the default location on C:, created Program Files directory on D: and installed calibre 7.4 at D:\Program Files\Calibre2.

Install was fine, and calibre worked fine, it picked up my existing config and libraries. So I did the reverse to reinstate calibre on my C: drive, install was fine and calibre is working fine.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-19-2024 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:13 PM   #13
woodr2011
Connoisseur

Quote:
I confused your issue with this one ==>> Calibre v3.4 and 7.4 : are databases compatible ? --- user dual boots Win 7 and Win 10.

I just uninstalled calibre from the default location on C:, created Program Files directory on D: and installed calibre 7.4 at D:\Program Files\Calibre2.

Install was fine, and calibre worked fine, it picked up my existing config and libraries. So I did the reverse to reinstate calibre on my C: drive, install was fine and calibre is working fine.

BR

The only remaining question is whether or not it will execute an update file successfully in the future.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:48 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
The only remaining question is whether or not it will execute an update file successfully in the future.
I doubt it will, IMO something has gone awry with the data that the Windows Installer stores in the registry.

If you have a gig to spare on drive C:
  • uninstall from drive E:
  • make sure it has really gone - i.e. no E:\Program Files\Calibre2
  • install at the default location - see post 6.
If that works it might mean the Installer has cleared the 'blockage' in the registry. You won't know that unless you uninstall from C: and reinstall on E:. Or you might want to let sleeping dogs lie and leave the calibre programs on the C: drive. There's no intrinsic advantage in having the calibre programs on the same drive as the calibre libraries… if anything the opposite is true.

BR
Old 01-20-2024, 09:51 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The Library does not need to be on the same drive as the program.
Create / Switch: use Existing to where the library IS (move it if it is in the wrong place)