Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 02:08 PM   #1
pat-emmabuntus
pat-emmabuntus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Keyboard shortcut for "Read aloud" for blind people

Thank you for your software.

I installed Calibre 6.13 on Debian 12.

It works, but wanting to use it for blind people with ebook-speaker, and I looked at the documentation to customize the shortcuts but I couldn't find the shortcuts "Read aloud" in order to put a shortcut on it.

I would like to know if it is possible to make keyboard shortcut for "Read aloud" ?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
pat-emmabuntus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:23 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See ==>> Preferences->Keyboard shortcuts->Read Aloud in the Interface section.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 08:21 PM   #3
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
I've no idea how well read-aloud works on Debian 12, but it was pretty bad on my Ubuntu box until I discovered a fix: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357313

If your voices are limited and sound bad, give it a try.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 06:42 AM   #4
pat-emmabuntus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
I've no idea how well read-aloud works on Debian 12, but it was pretty bad on my Ubuntu box until I discovered a fix: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357313

If your voices are limited and sound bad, give it a try.

Thank you very much Retiredbiker for your advice.

It's Piper which is a very good utility https://github.com/rhasspy/piper and the sound test audios are here https://rhasspy.github.io/piper-samples/

On the other hand, to install this, it is not necessary to use "Pied" which is very cumbersome to implement, there is this script that I am currently testing https://github.com/rhasspy/piper/issues/285
Old 01-20-2024, 07:16 AM   #5
pat-emmabuntus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See ==>> Preferences->Keyboard shortcuts->Read Aloud in the Interface section.

BR
BetterRed, I don't see the shortcut you indicate, see the screenshot below:

Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 07:36 AM   #6
pat-emmabuntus

[QUOTE=pat-emmabuntus;4390645]BetterRed, I don't see the shortcut you indicate, see the screenshot below:

BetterRed, sorry, I found this in the local preferences window at the viewer and it's CRTL+s.

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-20-2024 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:46 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's in the Viewer's Preferences:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-20 233845.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	205910 ==>> Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-20 234142.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	205911

The Book Viewer and Editor are discrete programs that can be run independently of the Library manager; so, they have their separate Preferences settings.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:40 PM   #8
pat-emmabuntus

Thank you BetterRed for your advice and it works well.