Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2024, 07:59 PM   #1
lmh
lmh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Bad Database Location when opening calibre

I tried opening my Calibre today and got this message
Bad database location :.\\Users\\ XXXX\\Documents\\Calibre Library.
will start with a new, empty calibre library
calibre, version 7.3.0
ERROR: Bad database location: Bad database location 'C:\\Users\\lmrei\\Documents\\Calibre Library'. Will start with a new, empty calibre library

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 327, in initialize_db
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 195, in __init__
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 50, in create_backend
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 508, in __init__
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 2125, in ensure_trash_dir
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\lmrei\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\.caltrash'

The Calibre library is in the same location it has always been and I was just using the software last week without any issues. I did get a message while in the program about an update so that was done, but that is the only thing that has been done recently.

I did go to start and looked for the program in the list of programs when one clicks the windows icon in windows 10 but it is no longer listed there. I had opened it from the shortcut on my desktop that is now gone as well.

I ran scans to make sure that there is no malware messing with my computer and all if fine.

I am not sure what to do or how to get calibre back on my computer aside from downloading and installing it again which I tried and then it got the same error message.
I was able to click on the download and a different screen came up giving me the option to change - lets you change the way the features are installed / Repair - repairs errors in the most recent installation by fixing missing and corrupt files, shortcuts and registry entries and the 3rd option is Remove - remove calibre 64-bit from your computer.

I am thinking I should try repair and see what happens, but I don't want to screw something up and loose all the books I already have in my library.

Any assistance would be so very much appreciated.
Thank You (running windows 10 home and it is up to date)
lmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:07 PM   #2
lmh
lmh began at the beginning.

Device: none
I forgot to mention, that I did recently uninstall the anti-virus program I was using and switched back to the MS Windows Defender program.
lmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2024, 08:24 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Move your library out of the Documents. Then try to install Calibre again and when it creates a new, empty library, point it to the location your old library now is (click on the Library icon -> Switch/create library -> Use the previously existing library at the new location. Navigate to the folder where your library is and click OK.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote