Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2024, 11:24 AM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Book Details change

I'm looking for where the option is to readjust the Book Details back to columns, as it was in 7.2 and before. I've tried User Interface Layout, and that hasn't worked (nor User Interface Style).

I've attached what it looked like in 7.2 and 7.3. I can't for the life of me remember if that was an option we could choose, or if it was automatically like that. I much prefer the previous layout, it's easier to read and fit if there is a long Comment or Note, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book Details72.png
Views:	159
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	205602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book Details73.png
Views:	146
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	205603  
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Look & feel->Main interface->User interface layout = Narrow
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2024, 11:37 AM   #3
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

No, that did not work, it was already at Narrow.

Before asking my question, I changed it to Wide, then back to Narrow, and it didn't 'fix' it. Since I reinstalled 7.3 after I asking my question, I changed to Wide and back to Narrow, and still didn't 'fix' it.

Plus, changing to Wide opened Cover Browser (on top of the book list) which I never use.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works for me with narrow layout
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	676.7 KB
ID:	205604  
Old 01-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #5
MerlinMama
Evangelist

No, you seem to have misunderstood what I am looking for. This attachment might be clearer

Edit: My apologies, in my opening post, while rearranging things to clear up one matter, I didn't notice that I forgot to retype the part about how in 7.2 the Metadata was on the left, and Comments/Notes were on the right. Sorry for the confusion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Book Details72_3.png
Views:	114
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	205609  

Last edited by MerlinMama; 01-05-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2024, 12:25 PM   #6
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Hello, I think i'll have the same problem. After updating to 7.3 the comment below the other metadata that are shown. With 7.2 the metadata were left and the comment right.

Greetings, Maria
msel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:59 PM   #7
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
Identical problem here with MacOS 14.2.1.
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:54 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post
Identical problem here with MacOS 14.2.1.
@MerlinMama & msel - do you use MacOS?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:02 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Now I see.
This is the {Comments} details that used to be along the right side of the metadata in Narrow mode.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:24 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@kovid: I confirm that comments are shown as vertical even if the layout is set to narrow. It seems to be related to no longer requiring the restart when changing layout. If I look in gui2/init.py I see at line 503:
Code:
    def init_layout_mixin(self):
        self.vl_tabs = VLTabs(self)
        self.centralwidget.layout().addWidget(self.vl_tabs)
        self.layout_container = CentralContainer(self)
        self.centralwidget.layout().addWidget(self.layout_container)
        print(f'****** self.layout_container.is_wide {self.layout_container.is_wide}')
        self.book_details = BookDetails(self.layout_container.is_wide, self)
The print statement I added shows this:
Code:
****** self.layout_container.is_wide True
even if the layout is narrow. If I change the line after the print statement to
Code:
        print(f'****** self.layout_container.is_wide {self.layout_container.is_wide}')
        self.book_details = BookDetails(False, self)
then it works correctly in narrow mode, but of course doesn't work correctly in wide mode.

I don't see any way to change the "vertical" parameter given to BookDetails after calibre is initialized. It is used in several further class instantiations within BookDetails. Reinstantiating the classes would work in theory but I doubt it would work in practice, leaving all sorts of signals etc hanging.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:29 PM   #11
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
No, I'm on Windows 11
Old 01-05-2024, 02:34 PM   #12
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
No - i use Linux Mint 21.2. And I have the same problem with Windows 10.
msel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:15 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@kovid: I confirm that comments are shown as vertical even if the layout is set to narrow.
FTR: ditto with long text custom columns with Heading position: Show heading above the text

And: the User interface layout: setting in Preference->L&F->Main interface has lost its tooltip, it has one in 6.29.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:53 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...375c1cddddc800
Old 01-06-2024, 06:27 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
FWIW: this commit fixes it for me.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote