Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
C Alberga
Enthusiast
C Alberga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Errors reading books from Archive.org

I have download some books from archive.org, for example the epub and kindle versions from

https://archive.org/details/lyellstravelsinn00lyell

The Calibre reader gives errors on both formats:

calibre, version 2.42.0
ERROR: Could not open ebook: D:\Calibre work\To load\lyellstravelsinn00lyell.epub is not a valid EPUB file (could not find opf)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 37, in run
File "threading.py", line 763, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 100, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\epub_in put.py", line 209, in convert
ValueError: D:\Calibre work\To load\lyellstravelsinn00lyell.epub is not a valid EPUB file (could not find opf)

for the epub, and:

error: unpack requires a string argument of length 6
Failed to render document
Detailed traceback:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\lrf_renderer\main.py", line 33, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lrf\lrfparser.py", line 21, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.py", line 483, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.py", line 98, in __get__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.py", line 353, in restore_pos
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\lrf\meta.py", line 515, in unpack
error: unpack requires a string argument of length 6

for the mobi.

Is this a known problem (I couldn't find anything in the forum) and is there a fix for it?

Last edited by C Alberga; 12-23-2017 at 08:39 PM.
C Alberga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
This EPUP isn't perfect but it opens with actual ADE and calibre Viewer and Editor (version 3.14).
Updating calibre will maybe fix your problem. Your version is from October 2015.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Actually, my installed Calibre is up-to-date, but it is possible that the version of the e-reader that is called when I "open" an .epub file is a left-over from earlier times.

Seems I was one version behind and updated to 3.14. However, version 3.14 of the e-reader still gives the same errors. Not sure where to go next.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
According to the error message you posted you are using calibre version 2.42.0
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Yes, at first, because I had associated the reader with .epub before the 64 bit version arrived, and had not uninstalled that. However, as I said in my reply, the latest version also fails for me.;

calibre, version 3.14.0
ERROR: Could not open e-book: Failed to read book, D:\Calibre work\To load\travelsinnortham02lyel_1.epub click "Show Details" for more information

File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 284, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 64, in extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 245, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\epub_in put.py", line 259, in convert
ValueError: D:\Calibre work\To load\travelsinnortham02lyel_1.epub is not a valid EPUB file (could not find opf)

So the problem persists.
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That book opens fine for me in calibre 3.14
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
C Alberga
Enthusiast

I guess it just doesn't love me:

calibre, version 3.14.0
ERROR: Could not open e-book: Failed to read book, D:\Calibre work\To load\lyellstravelsinn00lyell.epub click "Show Details" for more information

File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 284, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 64, in extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 245, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\epub_in put.py", line 259, in convert
ValueError: D:\Calibre work\To load\lyellstravelsinn00lyell.epub is not a valid EPUB file (could not find opf)

(I've actually downloaded this three times, in case of data loss, but none work.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Works for me as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Could one of you successful people e-mail the copy which is readable so I can see if it is the copy I have which is bad, or something about my machine? Please, send to:

Cyril at Alberga dot net
Old 12-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Alberga View Post
Could one of you successful people e-mail the copy which is readable so I can see if it is the copy I have which is bad, or something about my machine? Please, send to:

Cyril at Alberga dot net
I've uploaded it to media fire, and sent url via PM here.

I suggest you make sure you can open it in Windows via C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-viewer.exe before adding it into a calibre library.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Huzzah!

That I can read. Now if I can figure out why my downloads were all damaged I'll look for the second trip too.

Thank you, though it still hasn't cleared up the mystery.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are using Internet Explorer, then use Firefox instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW - I used Free Download Manager to download it from archive.org, and Edge to upload to MF using their upload overlay 'gadget'.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote