Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Block OTA before connecting wifi to register?

I plan to jailbreak a used PW2, FW 5.7.4. I am following the following instructions to prepare:

Software Jailbreak for PW2, PW3, PW3W, KT2, KV, KOA and KT3

Quote:
Make Ready:
Consider the following bullet list a "Step #0" that can be done in any order.
For some firmware versions, your Kindle must be registered with Amazon to access the required menus.
The general rule to cover all versions, is: If not yet registered, do that now.
Read the rest of this specific section before connecting to the Internet.
Some of the more recent firmware versions are very aggressive about doing an OTA (Over The Air) update.
Which will currently update to a version that can not be jail broken.
Currently the best way to avoid OTA updates is to add the OTA blocker directory (folder) name to the top level of visible USB storage.
The blocker directory is named: update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension, no contents.
As I understand it, the first thing I must do is add the folder update.bin.tmp.partial to the root folder of the PW2 when plugged into my PC via USB. That seems very simple. After that I can safely connect to wifi to register without danger of the PW2 updating its FW. Is that correct?

Last edited by Pajamaman; 10-21-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Yes..
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Ty. 345.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote