Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
So i just got the PSR-505 BLUE

What's the latest firmware? and how do i install it?
What is the maximum storage space for SD card/Memory Stick pro (iam going to buy one this week)..4gb for sd card what about 2-4gb for memory stick pro?
is it possible to get dictionary?
ALL of my books are PDF files, i heard last time i posted that you can format it to rdtpdf or something? Have you got a link to that program?
Anything else i need to know?
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
AFAIK the new firmware is not out yet, it's factory firmware only. It will take a 2GB SD card and an 8GB MS, but there is no point. I have both, but there are no library functions available so if you have more than a couple of hundred books you'll spend a lot of time looking for things. Ditto with music except that you can't even jump to artists beginning with a letter, you just get 100+ pages of songs. Want page 75 in the song listing? Hit the "next page" key 75 times.

There's a dictionary available in this thread

PDFs I dunno, you could try the search functions on this forum.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post
ALL of my books are PDF files, i heard last time i posted that you can format it to rdtpdf or something? Have you got a link to that program?
For PDFs, if formatting is not important, you can use 'pdf2lrf' from libprs500.
http://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/
If you need to keep formatting (e.g. mathematical equations or figures), you can try PDFLRF. It does a great job of making PDFs readable but don't expect to be able to read all PDFs perfectly. Six inch screen is too small to properly show letter/A4-sized PDF documents.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
davidw89
Connoisseur

Why does it support only 2gb sd card?(i'll get one this week then they're cheap) Yeah will give libprs500 a shot..by the way guys my PDF are all words..no mathematical equations etc..so which converter is best?
So do i just drag and drop files into the Removable Device or do i have to use the Sony program?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
davidw89
Connoisseur

Could someone please tell me why it takes 3-4 sec to load a page? (i.e turn a page)? Is there a way to overclock this thing and speed it up? Seriously annoying :/
Advert
Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
if you're reading pfd's then a big chunk of that is the pdf rendering time. Try a few lrf (native format) files. A pne second render is normal for e-ink, as I'm sure you know from even casual browsing of product and review sites.

I don't see any point in supporting more than 2GB cards, it costs money and is pointless. If you want to buy my 8Gb MSPD card I'll happily sell it to you for 75% of what I paid (looks vague, can't remember the actual number).
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Could someone please tell me why it takes 3-4 sec to load a page? (i.e turn a page)? Is there a way to overclock this thing and speed it up? Seriously annoying :/
Probably my suggestion is not going to be a popular one but nonetheless...

If the main format you are going to read is PDF, then return your sony reader to the seller while you can.
No current 6" eInk reader will be able to cope with the task.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
What's the latest firmware? and how do i install it?
What is the maximum storage space for SD card/Memory Stick pro (iam going to buy one this week)..4gb for sd card what about 2-4gb for memory stick pro?
is it possible to get dictionary?
Check this forum & the sub-forums plus the wiki.

There is an unofficial firmware but it's just minor cosmetic changes - nice, but I'd suggest sticking with the original while getting started, as there are no essential changes.

Options for PDF conversion are either via images, or to reflowable text - primary choices for the latter are via the libprs500 suite of apps or the BookDesigner app (both of which do much more than just PDF->LRF). I'd suggest trying both. Note that you can copy files to/from the device in 3 ways (Sony GUI software, libprs500 GUI & treating it as a USB drive) although if copying with the latter two there'll be a delay the very first time you open a book on the device.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
davidw89
Connoisseur

lol too bad iam in australia
iam gonna get a 2gb sd card just to put some audiobook..and some books..should be sufficient
so i installed libprs500 and trying to convert pdf but i can't select the output directory? and when it's converting it doesn't even say the status?
i cant select the default output in configuration..wats up?

Last edited by davidw89; 04-14-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Probably my suggestion is not going to be a popular one but nonetheless...

If the main format you are going to read is PDF, then return your sony reader to the seller while you can.
No current 6" eInk reader will be able to cope with the task.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
so i installed libprs500 and trying to convert pdf but i can't select the output directory? and when it's converting it doesn't even say the status?
Details? e.g. Are you using GUI or CLI?

If the GUI then just add the book to the library, select it then click on "Convert Ebooks", change the metadata, etc, as required & click OK. It'll then convert in the background - no need to set the output directory, etc. Click the hourglass bottom right for the status of all active jobs.

If the CLI, then what args, etc, are you using & what do you see as a result?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
lol too bad iam in australia
iam gonna get a 2gb sd card just to put some audiobook..and some books..should be sufficient
I had the same though. But, apparenlty libprs500 uses a database to store all of your books... so there is no output folder. If you want the files on your file system you have to use the save to disk feature.

Yes, the conversions are done in the background. Watch the little icon in the bottom right corner. It will give you the "job status".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
davidw89
Connoisseur

Awesome guys..working fine now..if only pdf conversion was perfect (i just want a space between the paragraph and it's not giving me that)
Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Awesome guys..working fine now..if only pdf conversion was perfect (i just want a space between the paragraph and it's not giving me that)
HAve you tried to use the FoxIt reader to save the PDF as txt and see if that gave you better results?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:47 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
HAve you tried to use the FoxIt reader to save the PDF as txt and see if that gave you better results?

BOb
You loose all formating in that case, such as italic or bold, correct?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote